A month of Keto

It can be. I don’t buy it, but it looks like Costco may carry almond flour, which can be substituted for the bread crumbs.

Keep in mind that keto is so popular nowadays that in google you can type in “keto” followed by your favorite food and you’ll probably find a keto recipe for it. Heck, the Indian headbanger I linked to above even has recipes for keto cookies and a keto no-bake, peanut butter and chocolate cheesecake that I’m going to try when I’m back in the US and have access to springform pans again.

My starting stats:

Height 180cm

Weight: 230lbs/ 104.3kg
Chest: 117cm
Belly: 113cm
Waist: 104cm

What happens if you eat a lot of protein on it? It doesn’t work?

Correct, it doesn’t work. It’s not a low-protein diet, though. You’re just swapping out carb calories for fat calories. The key to success is maintaining a ratio like 75:20:5 where you’re getting 75% of your calories from fat, 20% from protein, 5% from carbs. If you’re young you can probably fudge that to 70:25:5 or the like, and get away with it.

If you’re just starting out on it, you’ll probably run into what’s called keto flu. It goes away within a week or so. So temporarily, for a few workouts you may be able to do only six reps where before you could do eight. Once your body adapts, then because it’s not a low protein diet you shouldn’t lose muscle mass. You may not build muscle quickly on the keto diet, but I haven’t lost any (in fact I think I’m a little stronger).

I didn’t know this. I may reconsider. I enjoy protein too much.

1 Like

OK Mr. Noel, I am hereby challenging you to a month of Keto and healthy weight loss. I’m going to duplicate your effort and report back here.

Like you, I’ve had good results with keto and IF in the past. Then I started eating like a piggy and gained the weight back. I’m a middle aged guy, 6 foot, about 235 lbs. I’m starting to look fat, and I’m breathing too hard when I exert myself.

I will weigh-in at home later, and report exact weight and progress here.

Not only ineffective for weight loss, but if you eat too much protein it can be unhealthy and even dangerous. Look up “rabbit starvation.”

The keto diet should be mostly fat, with only adequate protein intake. People really mess up their body if they try to eat a “lean” low-fat keto diet. Such a diet totally misses the point.

Awesome. Challenge accepted.

Make sure to do the measurements as well, it is the true indicator of fat loss outside of calipers or a fat percentage machine.

Good luck boys. I added 14 hour fasting to my daily routine and lost 10kg in about a month but discovered I was a scrawny joe under the fat so have started pushing weights 3 days/week. 6’ 222lbs to 197lbs.

2 Likes

I thought bacon is loaded with fat, so how could you get rabbit starvation from it?

I didn’t mention bacon.

So called “rabbit starvation” is caused by eating an excess of lean meat/protein in the absence of fat AND carbs. Keto diet favors fatty meat.

I gained 40lbs since going on a modified keto. Guess it doesn’t work for everyone.

There’s also this other thread that includes recommendations on eating at home and places and things to eat out in Taiwan.

Too much protein gets converted into carbs if I remember correctly. I’ve been into IF for years and I believe that fasting has allowed me to achieve ketosis without restricting my diet so severely. I don’t stay in ketosis 24/7 so that’s a down side. Also, don’t forget to get some mints or gum because ketosis makes your breath funky.

I’ve done something like this in the past with good success. But I would have a decent dinner while watching carb intake. I would get nice and full. I got down to 86 kilos doing this. I had to then be very careful about carb intake for breakfast to get down to 85 and 84 kilos. I’m now heavier after a month in the US and so this thread interests me.

My question for the experts here is this: What is meant by high fat? I just went out to MOS Burger and got chicken nuggets (they have a package of 3 big, full meat nuggets) and some ice coffee (just a bit of sugar added). So is this keto (or could it be if I ditched the added sugar altogether)? Or is this just kind of a low carb snack? And the fried nuggets. Is the oil in this the fat talked about in keto?

How do you get the fat for keto in Taiwan?

Edit: I see much of what I’m after as far as keto in Taiwan is concerned is in the thread linked above by tango42. I guess I’ll look through that. I still am curious about my other questions, though.

Until I downloaded an app I really had no idea even though I thought I had some clue. Learned a lot by tracking everything.

Have to kind of track by the day and not by the meal. If you have tea with sugar then you have to adjust everything else that day to make sure you don’t exceed your desired amount of carb.

2 Likes

Forget about eating out if you’re going to go keto. Carbs are everywhere. A lot harder to cut carb than cutting sodium (which is also everywhere).

My weigh-in this morning, to establish a Baseline: 237 lbs. I wanted to measure my waistline, but could not find a tape measure.

Your options eating out are basically 滷味, eggs from convenience stores, biandang lunch box shops, and beef noodle soup - hold the noodles.
Much easier to maintain if you can cook / have access to Costco.

2 Likes

Eggs at convenience stores are keto friendly but have unhealthy nitrates. Avoid the rice and breaded meats in biandang box.

These are some keto friendly meals out

• Hakka style Pork belly and mustard greens

• Hot Pot meat and vegetables only in clear water or simple broth

• Barbeque meat no sauce

• German sausage and sauerkraut

• Pork knuckle

• Egg and cheese omelette

• Salad

• Sashimi

• Low carb option on hamburgers.

Restaurants

• The Diner has a keto menu.