A new name for me for our Marriage

Should I go with this one?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Ok, I don’t really think this is the exact location this should go, but I guess it fits…

We are getting things ready for our future marriage (looks like September 2006). My fiancee picked a couple names for me and wants me to choose. Although, she is pushing one in particular:

Wu, Kian Xin

What do you all think? :idunno:

What’s wrong with the name you was born with?

guess yr meaning your chinese name here not your english name…in which case unless you give us the characters its a meaningless question…oh and “kian” doesnt exist in chinese…maybe chian?

For marriage, house hold registration purposes, the foreigner needs a Chinese name. It would be better to post the characters of the proposed names. The meaning is in the characters, not their romanization.

Did she say why she wanted that particular name?

Write the characters, then it’ll be easier to make comments. Also, I’m not sure what ‘kian’ could be - that combination is not possible in pinyin. Ask your [b]financ

oops…hmmm…ok. I think she said it has something to do with “new happiness”. I’m at my office now and don’t have access to the characters she sent me. When I get home I will post them here.

Shin Gua: Nothing is wrong with my name…just need a second one like Yellow Cartman said. I actually am not offended by it at all, I think it is rather a cool novelty. :slight_smile:

EDIT: I can’t get the accent above the e in fiancee…pray tell, how?

Erm, I cut and paste from Word. I wouldn’t normally bother (hey, who has time?) but after the little exchange in this thread I thought it appropriate. :smiley:

I’m waiting for her to wake up… its 11:20 am already :unamused: ! haha…I called and woke her. :blush:
In the mean time… here is the alternative name:

得瑞愷

This is not the one she is pushing for. I will post that one later.

I’m guessing your name (Wu, Kian Xin) is actually Wu Jianxing.

Since we’re being pedantic with fianc

[quote=“Maoman”]I’m guessing your name (Wu, Kian Xin) is actually Wu Jianxing.

德瑞愷
= 1st name that she picked for me, she doesn

愷新 “kai xin” translated means “happy”, “joyful” etc. Chinese names are often meant to be a “wish” for how one ought to be. She may wish that you will be happy in Taiwan. If that’s part of her thinking, I can understand why she prefers that. The first one is fine too.

That Wu Jianxing name is too close to the name of a famous dissident…unless that is what you guys are going for…I will get back to you tomorrow after I look it up.

[quote=“derek1978”]
吳愷新
= 2nd name she picked for me. She prefers this one.[/quote]
So, in proper romanization, your name would look like this: Wu Kaixin

[quote=“Maoman”][quote=“derek1978”]
吳愷新
= 2nd name she picked for me. She prefers this one.[/quote]
So, in proper romanization, your name would look like this: Wu Kaixin[/quote]

Um…Happy Wu? :s

[quote=“derek1978”]
德瑞愷

[quote=“derek1978”]
德瑞愷

[quote=“Maoman”]I’m guessing your name (Wu, Kian Xin) is actually Wu Jianxing.

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“derek1978”]
德瑞愷

You sure about this boss? My son has his mama’s surname and he’s got a Taiwanese passport, which I’m assuming means ROC nationality.[/quote]
Does your wife have brothers? If she doesn’t, then it’s ok. Otherwise, I believe the rule still applies… Anyone have a different experience?