A place that looks like Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall but was built in the 1970's or earlier

Hi, I’m in America and was helping a friend figure out where he was when he took this picture in the 1970’s.Google Lens says that it is
Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, but I can’t find this building there, unless there was an extensive remodel? I was hoping that someone here would know.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the CKS memorial hall or either of the other buildings there (concert hall/theater). In any case, the mountain in the background doesn’t seem consistent with that location.

Is it definitely in Taipei, or did your friend go somewhere else too? Maybe somewhere on Yangmingshan?

2 Likes

Thank you! It could be Hong Kong or Bangkok?

There was not CKS Memorial Hall in the 1970s. It’s a 1980s late dictatorship era project.

No idea where that structure is, but it’s not CKS.

Guy

4 Likes

That’s a bigger broadening of the scope than I was expecting! It doesn’t look like a typical Thai temple (although they do have a few Chinese-style ones). Not sure about Hong Kong.

I think I’ll have to bow out here. You probably need to wait for some older/more cultural people to come along… (I wasn’t around in the 70s, like the CKS memorial hall itself - good point)

2 Likes

If it was taken in Taiwan, you could ask here.

Could be this place.

1 Like

Maybe they had the name wrong. There are no mountains that close to CKS Memorial.

There are many places connected to the man himself CKS.

A couple near mountains.

Yangmingshan Chungshan Hall
https://goo.gl/maps/BxcqqnwkSpauKeBQ6

Chiang Kai-Shek Shilin Residence
https://goo.gl/maps/ierRmNqL4FdTNJKS8

Given what appears to be a hill/mountain in the background it’s not Taipei’s CKS. It could be anywhere in Taiwan, does he have slightly more information to go on? Assume there is more to the photo than what we are seeing?

Can anyone read/guess what this says?

temple

This pic is really from the 1970s ?

1 Like

I also thought it was probably that one.

It seems like all the roofing at the Martyr’s shrine is red. I doubt it would differ even in some kind of outbuilding.

But the roof of that gate is that color.

“Enhance.”

“Computer, enhance.”

Crap, Blade Runner took place two years ago, and my computer still isn’t helpful when I ask it to do that.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s there. It does seem to be an impressive marble-faced structure though.

I don’t think it’s that either - the octagonal shape of the room on the roof seems pretty unusual. I also looked yesterday at the NT$100 building (too lazy to check the spelling) and a few other random temples etc. around Taipei, but no look.

I think it would be helpful for OP to provide more info, if possible, like the year (before or after CKS died?) and roughly where the friend visited. Additional photos might not hurt either (I don’t think people typically go to a temple and take a single photo of a roof, even in the 1970s?). @michaelsanna

Last two characters (reading from right to left) look like peace (和平)

2 Likes

You need to have a voice like Harrison Ford’s.

2 Likes

The photo looks too crisp and new to be that old. No digital photography back then. Is this a scan of a photo?

The foreground and background are both way too clear to be that old of a picture.

3 Likes

Professional equipment?

The vegetation on the hill looks kind of dry and scrubby for Taiwan.

1 Like