(a) Taiwanese (guy) and money

[quote=“llary”]
I’ve decided to start walking around in a cowboy hat shoutin’ ‘YEEHAW!’ with US$ bills spilling out of my pants while getting up to all manner of rootin’ tootin’ no-good oil-diggin’ mischief.[/quote]Wait until you’ve got your license, then borrow someone’s Mercedes to go round and visit your instructor to say thanks. :smiling_imp:

I just got some secret pics from Ilary’s appartment:

That’s the small stuff which is just to much trouble to carry to the bank. :wink:

Maybe you should print it out and say to him:" Everytime I come home from the driving lesson, I find this two boxes full again. It is just so annoying." :wink:

I’ve never been much bothered by the “How much do you earn?” line of questioning. I can’t recall having been asked such a question in years. And way back in the past, if it did pop up, I always answered truthfully enough along the lines of: “Very little! But I don’t attach much importance to money. I prefer to spend as much time as possible enjoying life, and am content to earn just enough to cover my basic living expenses. 寸金難買寸光陰.”

[quote=“mingshah”]I just got some secret pics from Ilary’s appartment:
That’s the small stuff which is just to much trouble to carry to the bank. :wink:

Maybe you should print it out and say to him:" Everytime I come home from the driving lesson, I find this two boxes full again. It is just so annoying." :wink:[/quote]

Shit, I knew I dropped my change somewhere…

I just got back from the driving school today. I was 30 minutes late because an employee had completely fucked up a very important order and then I had to argue with Citibank for two hours that, yes, foreigners ARE allowed to transfer money in Taiwan. He didn’t like that (although I admit this was a bit of an asshole thing to do and I did apologise).

So you’re off earning money while I’m here LOSING money?

‘Err I paid you guys the full NT$8,000 tuition even though I only want 4 hours practise unlike the full 30 hour course. And you get paid a flat amount each month so if I turn up 30 minutes late you get 30 minutes to eat watermelon with your pals while I lose 30 minutes of time. Are you taking drugs or something? I didn’t know you were allowed to teach people how to drive if you’re on drugs.’

He says something in Taiwanese so I say ‘yeh, I can do that too, dickface’ in English. We get in a full 5 minutes of reverse parking before he starts again so I interrupt him with a sigh… ‘ahhhh man, it must be great earning money just by sitting on your ass in a car all day. Just sitting here, riding around a go-kart track. What a life.’

There is more but I’m bored with this topic now. Can we talk about sexy ladies or something instead?

I was just wondering how babelfish.altavista.com would handle that phrase:

Inch Jin Nan buys an inch time.

Profound words indeed.

An inch of gold can’t buy an inch of time.

I usually answer “enough” to that question. If pressed, I just say it’s impolite to ask such a question. If pressed further, I would say “管你屁事”, but it hasn’t come to that point yet.

I prefer the Babelfish version.

llary -
You have met Taiwans version of a liberal.

Good grief, where do they talk like that? :noway:

The only times someone ever asked me ‘Oh, you are here on expat terms, so you must be making a lot of $$, how much do you make?’ are usually taxi drivers. I’ve never been asked by my TW colleagues, friends, friends of friends, etc… This is not entirely a cultural thing but its a $$ thing. I don’t think the CEO of AU Optronics for example is going to ask you how much $$ you are earning per annum. Aiyah… just be ‘zen’ about it ignore them.

[quote=“llary”]
There is more but I’m bored with this topic now. Can we talk about sexy ladies or something instead?[/quote]

You could start a thread called “Tash’s experience” :wink:

I can’t believe you have all that money and can’t afford decent looking luggage to hold it in.

:laughing: Oh boy, will i get flamed for this, but this has to be a typical female statement.

The need to spend more than is actually necessary to do the job required. :laughing:

Because we don’t waste money on looks but think practical is the reason why we have all that money. :wink: Personally I prefer a bit more order though:

If you only wanted 4 hours of driving practice, you could have just paid by the hour. I did that before I took my driving test, and it worked out very well. I paid $600NT/hour, and while I could have probably found a cheaper rate than that, I didn’t think it was worth the hassle for just a couple of hours of practice.

Anyway, I don’t see why you’d want to give anyone any indication of how much money you make, whether it’s true or not. What good could possibly come from that?

:laughing: Oh boy, will I get flamed for this, but this has to be a typical female statement.

The need to spend more than is actually necessary to do the job required. :laughing:[/quote]

It was a joke, Hooker. Sheeesh. I’ve never bought a piece of luggage in my life. I moved here in boxes.
I’m such swamp trash.