...a tie rack/hanger?

Do places such as Geant and Carrefour sell them? What’s the best kind to get?

Cheers for any ideas.

I briefly looked for one a few years ago (at Sogos, Mistukushi, etc), but ended up going to the NT$10 store and buying a couple of cheap sets of hooks, each being a plastic-covered horizontal wire about a half meter long with about a dozen plastic-covered small wire hooks curling up off of it. I screwed one of those into each closet door and they work fine. A lot cheaper too.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I briefly looked for one a few years ago (at Sogos, Mistukushi, etc), but ended up going to the NT$10 store and buying a couple of cheap sets of hooks, each being a plastic-covered horizontal wire about a half meter long with about a dozen plastic-covered small wire hooks curling up off of it. I screwed one of those into each closet door and they work fine. A lot cheaper too.[/quote]Thanks MT. So the hooks don’t spoil your ties?

What the HELL is a “tie?”

Wow! Joesax has gone corporate, working for the MAN.

It may not treat them as well as a nicer, wood setup (the main drawback I guess is that the hooks are smaller diameter than a real tie rack would be, so the tie doesn’t so much curl around the hook as go up one side, over the wire, then abruptly down the other side), but I have some fairly nice/expensive ties and definitely don’t want to ruin them on the hooks and this seems adequate. I drape maybe 2 or 3 ties over a single hook. I’ve used it for a few years and don’t believe the rack has caused any noticeable damage to them.

[quote=“jdsmith”]What the HELL is a “tie?”[/quote] :laughing: It’s a long piece of cloth that you wear round your neck. It’s covered in pictures of penguins or other animals or, if you have very good taste, it looks like a piano keyboard.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]It may not treat them as well as a nicer, wood setup (the main drawback I guess is that the hooks are smaller diameter than a real tie rack would be, so the tie doesn’t so much curl around the hook as go up one side, over the wire, then abruptly down the other side), but I have some fairly nice/expensive ties and definitely don’t want to ruin them on the hooks and this seems adequate. I drape maybe 2 or 3 ties over a single hook. I’ve used it for a few years and don’t believe the rack has caused any noticeable damage to them.[/quote]I’ll see if I can find a similar thing and give it a try.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“jdsmith”]What the HELL is a “tie?”[/quote] :laughing: It’s a long piece of cloth that you wear round your neck. It’s covered in pictures of penguins or other animals or, if you have very good taste, it looks like a piano keyboard.

a tie is a hangman’s noose that kills a man slowly…

[quote=“the bear”]a tie is a hangman’s noose that kills a man slowly…[/quote]Is that a quote from something? I thought I recognised it, but Googling didn’t turn up anything.

Anyway, I’ve been wearing a tie to work for years with no discernible ill effects. Unless I’ve become a zombie without realising it.

[quote]Unless I’ve become a zombie without realising it.[/quote] :whistle:

Are you trying to imply that you turned joe into a zombie? What did you use? Long-range voodoo?

I know what you really need that hanger for, joesax…

(For those that don’t know what the hell I’m talking about, joesax is building a time machine. The hanger would be the antenna thingy at the top, just like Bill and Ted’s. OK… carry on.)

I looked all over for a decent tie rack and simply couldn’t find anything that I liked. Then one day I happened to be cruising past a hardware store that sold misc. wood strips and trims. I spotted a louvered door insert like many bathroom doors have. It was already stained the same color as my wardrobe. I purchased it for a couple hundred NT and got a couple small brass hinges. I mounted in on the side of my wardrobe and it works and looks great.

[quote=“irishstu”]I know what you really need that hanger for, joesax…
(For those that don’t know what the hell I’m talking about, joesax is building a time machine. The hanger would be the antenna thingy at the top, just like Bill and Ted’s. OK… carry on.)[/quote]Damn! Sussed!

I can’t pull the wool over the eyes of a techno-guru like you. It is indeed for the time machine antenna, as a regular coat hanger simply can’t accumulate enough orgones.[quote=“Enigma”]I looked all over for a decent tie rack and simply couldn’t find anything that I liked. Then one day I happened to be cruising past a hardware store that sold misc. wood strips and trims. I spotted a louvered door insert like many bathroom doors have. It was already stained the same color as my wardrobe. I purchased it for a couple hundred NT and got a couple small brass hinges. I mounted in on the side of my wardrobe and it works and looks great.[/quote]That’s a very good idea.

I’ll put one inside the time machine, so I’ll always be well-dressed when I meet the people from times past and those yet to come. But I’ll have to expand my tie selection a little. I’ll need a cravat, obviously, but how about futuristic neckwear? Any ideas?

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“the bear”]a tie is a hangman’s noose that kills a man slowly…[/quote]Is that a quote from something? I thought I recognised it, but Googling didn’t turn up anything.

Anyway, I’ve been wearing a tie to work for years with no discernible ill effects. Unless I’ve become a zombie without realising it.[/quote]

it is from somewhere but i cant remember either…i have a feeling tom waits used it but it might not be his…

The last time I visited the future, people were wearing cummerbunds around their necks. It was quite fetching actually.

You can’t trust irishstu’s technical knowledge about time travel. The guy is still using ‘Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure’ as his main source book ffs! Evryone in the scientific community knows that the ‘flux capaciter’ seen in ‘Back To The Future’ trilogy is the only viable technology around. At this point in time.

Ha! You think you’re so smart, don’t you? Well, as it happens, I visited the future just yesterday (well, in 3 years from now… I mean, the future I visited was, I mean is in 3 years from now, but I did my time travelling yesterday.) Anyway, I digress. Two things:

1. I visited joesax (in 3 years from now) , and the tie rack option he made was proving to be the best one, and all his snazzy ties (he has 23 in the future) were still in perfect condition. His underpants drawer was a bit smelly though.

2. Little do you know, little miss smarty-pants, that the flux capacitor is so yesterday, and in the future Bill and Ted are hailed as heroes, not only because of their totally cool guitar solos, but also, because So-craits teaches them how to be all philosophical and stuff and they teach that to the future people, which is like, totally awesome and stuff.

3. (OK, I said two, but this is important) There are LOTS of people with pet sharks in the future. And guess what? The sharks have frikken laser beams attached to their heads.

So there.

About point 3. I bet YOU still don’t know how to make 'em. Make any drawings? Didn’t think so…

I think the lesson we can learn from all this scientific posturing is that if the entire universed disappears tomorrow because of a temporal paradox, it’ll be because irishstu was trying to cram a hammerhead into a 2064 'phonebox while using an unlicensed laser powered flux capacitor of his own ‘special’ design while wearing a leather tie a la Nik Kershaw.

You have been warned.

[quote=“Buttercup”]About point 3. I bet YOU still don’t know how to make 'em. Make any drawings? Didn’t think so…

I think the lesson we can learn from all this scientific posturing is that if the entire universed disappears tomorrow because of a temporal paradox, it’ll be because irishstu was trying to cram a hammerhead into a 2064 'phonebox while using an unlicensed laser powered flux capacitor of his own ‘special’ design while wearing a leather tie a la Nik Kershaw.

You have been warned.[/quote]

Hey! You’re so off-topic here. Stop it!

Anyway, it isn’t leather, it’s PVC, (much straighter and smarter), and it’s cool, cos it’s bright red, but with a piano keyboard on it. And just so you know, they come back into fashion in the future.

And the drawings are in my head, cos I’m special.