A western oven

IKEA sell relatively large Bosch ovens, somewhere around 50K, they are 220V though. A gas stove top can be purchased anywhere.

1 Like

I have both 110 and 220 in my kitchen, so the only real issue is getting an electric oven that has a gas stove top.

110v canā€™t possibly run an oven unless itā€™s a very small one. It simply canā€™t carry enough current. If itā€™s those thing with an electric range on top, 220v, 50 amp minimum. Problem is most apartment has 50 amp as a main breaker so you canā€™t even run the thing.

If itā€™s gas beware the gas used here is a different mixture than ones in the US so make sure it has the right sized ports. Otherwise youā€™ll run into a problem that I saw at another expatā€™s houseā€¦ the range isnā€™t strong enough to do jack at all.

There are options like an electric oven (under built), and a gas stove top as separate appliances.

This can be an option Sakura/Electrolux

Thanks for the responses, guys. I currently have a gas oven and a gas range and while they are separate, I donā€™t know if they are completely separated. Itā€™s a good avenue to explore.

Taiwan_Luthiers, yes, thatā€™s a limitation but an electrician can put in a new main breaker and run a few new lines to your kitchen. I can run my coffee machine, microwave, toaster oven and oven all at the same time if I want now, while cooking up three different breakfasts for the finicky family.

Generally a separate 30 or 32Amp breaker is fitted on a dedicated cooker ring, in a domestic situation.

But how would they deal with the fact that the main breaker (for the entire flat) is 50 amps? I mean you run your range and someone turns on the AC and youā€™ve exceeded the current.

Or do they just replace the main breaker with a 200 amp one? How do you replace the main breaker? you canā€™t turn off the electricity thatā€™s supplying the main.

You have to apply to the electric company for the increased power supply.

Is this something thatā€™s complicated or expensive to do? Because clearly 50 amp is not even enough to run more than 1 AC unit at a time.

I did it a long time ago for a business, I donā€™t think it was that big a deal. An electrician would know.

Well, my place was actually hooked to a 3 phase supply with a 250 amp breaker. However for my flat thereā€™s only a 50 amp 3 phase breaker. Though honestly thatā€™s probably more like 100 amp if only using 220v because you just have so much more current going through a 3 phase supply. I just wonder how complicated it would be to change that to something higher. When I ask my landlord he just tells me to let him see the actual equipment before heā€™ll tell me anything, even if I explain to him about having more than 100 amps available.

Basically that account is connected to like 4 other housesā€¦ Taipower has weird requirements for getting an account.

I should mention a VMC needs 60 amps, 3 phase, and while my shop doesnā€™t have the space for a VMC (it would about occupy over 3/4 of my available shop space) who knows what else Iā€™d like to runā€¦ but since I canā€™t be in 2 places at once I donā€™t really see running a bunch of equipment at once.

1 Like

I donā€™t know my watts from amps. The Dr. Goods oven is 锍定電壓ļ¼š110V, 锍定頻ēŽ‡ļ¼š60Hz, ę¶ˆč€—åŠŸēŽ‡ļ¼š1500W. We had a circuit breaker box with a couple 50 amp breakers on the left (for AC?), the rest all 20ā€™s. In the kitchen we couldnā€™t turn anything on in addition to the oven or it would trip. We couldnā€™t even turn on a hair dryer in the bedroom and the oven in the kitchen without tripping it. An electrician charged us $8k to apply for new lines (IIRC), and installed three new 30 amp lines running dedicated to the kitchen so that the oven had its own separate line, with two to spare for additional appliances, and weā€™ve never had a problem since. After we did it, about 7-8 years ago, we were able to run a 2nd oven so we could do sales of home baked goods (oh, the smoked gouda quiches and cranberry brownies! and dang if I can remember what I was posting about now that Iā€™m thinking of the foodā€¦)

2 Likes

110v canā€™t run a whole lot in the way of heat producing appliance. at 110v 1500 watt is about 15 amps, and thatā€™s basically the entire capacity for a 110v line. Most 110v line is either rated for 15 amps or 20 amps.

This is also why some people prefer 220v because it uses far less amperage compared to 110v.

If you know the right people you can get 3 x 300A.

Honestlyā€¦ for that price, I could buy about 4 commercial grade ovens. Ones that will actually bake a pizza properly.

1 Like

Who, other than some sort of half human half spider, needs that many hobs?

This looks like a professional cooktop, which for a professional kitchen is necessary.

Except in Taiwan professional kitchen equipment need not be this expensive. You can buy a good commercial grade oven for around 20-30 thousand. The kind of oven bakeries here use.