A Whiskey Recommendation

That Kavalan Vinho Barrique story brought a tear to my eye. Was the event located at a restaurant or in a house or out on a street?

Voted Number one in the world by those that matter a few years back.

2 Likes

Was at a house. Yes… I recall it winning that award. It seems to be more readily available now.

1 Like

I was wondering about that. I tried to buy it two or three summers in a row, before heading to Canada, and it was never available or had a several week/month waiting list. Haven’t tried lately.

1 Like

I’ve seen it at a couple different places recently, I think you’ll have a pretty good chance of finding it.

2 Likes

Yeah, seems likely - but it’s at a price point that matches “Ah, here’s a nice gift for my father’s birthday (and he’s incidentally just helped pay for our tickets to Canada)”, and not really a price point for “something to swig on my own at night”.

Hmm. I was hoping to buy a Lego pirate ship set this month. Lego or Kavalan? Or, more likely, “Good evening dear, remember how it’s our turn to treat my family for a nice dinner?”

(And no, the in-laws have zero appreciation of whiskey, so they are NOT getting any of a Kavalan bottle! Not praising or shaming them - just pointing out it’d be a waste.)

2 Likes

You forgot ‘boss’

Available for $3250 at 酒條通.

1 Like

Something I’ve been discovering over this holiday is… whisky and pomelo really complement each other nicely… I’m loving sherry-finished whisky with mouth-watering juicy and fragrant pomelo. Try it!

3 Likes

Taste pairing! I recently did some of that myself. This whisky is decent enough but I found it not as sweet as I wanted and bit more spicy on the finish that what I was really after. We had some of this dark chocolate from Costco sitting around. Bada boom bada bing. It was wonderful.

1 Like

Speyside, can’t go wrong, figuratively.

I agree - chocolate with whisky is wonderful… a double dose of guilty pleasure! Good dark chocolate, with a hint of orange or salt seems to work for my taste buds… heavenly :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve grabbed this Japanese Suntory a couple times recently, and both times did not have a good feeling the next morning. But I’m still giving it a chance.

That’s my bro in law’s go to whisky. It’s been a while but I don’t remember the hangovers being an issue.

So what was the impact of Covid on these islands and on the whisky they produce?

These three important whisky islands – Arran, Islay, and Jura – were completely sealed off during the British lockdown. The only ferries that arrived were delivering supplies (99% of what sustains the islanders arrives by boat).

The only people allowed off-island were those with medical emergencies.

As a result there were no cases of Covid-19 on the whisky islands, even though Glasgow and Cumbria on the mainland nearby were badly hit.

That is not to say the islands didn’t suffer, however. As non-essential industries, all distilleries in Scotland were obliged to close by March 29, 2020.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/scotland-whisky-islands-covid/index.html

1 Like

I’m curious to hear how this tastes.

Metallica infused whiskey “sounds” good :rofl:

Music was “used to enhance Metallica’s latest “Sweet Amber.””

2 Likes

Reminds me of the Trooper Iron Maiden beers.

I am recommending against Lauder’s Reserve Blended Scotch Whisky. It’s a budget whisky- really budget at a bit over 600 nt for 1 liter on sale (I believe 900 nt normally). The bottle doesn’t say much but I’m guessing some Sherry cask aging is going on.

On the nose, maple or honey and a bit of spiciness from what must be the grain whisky. The taste is again sweet and even malty. The finish is where things go downhill. It’s almost a saccharin taste. It’s like they added too much grain whisky and tried to hide it with Sherry cask aging.

I can drink it, but not too much in one sitting.

4 Likes

It’s not a whiskey, but lmao!

Edit: SOLD OUT!

2 Likes

Some Kavalan.

2 Likes

They had a selection of Kavalan at Costco recently. My wife was very impressed. They let you try each one. I don’t know. At 2,500 nt and up for the better ones, I feel there are alternatives at that price range I would prefer.

Back to reality. Got these two bottles on sale for 1,111 nt at a 橡木桶 outlet. I got the batch #1 and #5. Both good and flavorful. This is a limited edition of Speyside single malts. I highly recommend taking advantage of this sale while it lasts. About 800 nt per bottle if purchased separately.

No age statement and there’s a bit of spiciness as a result, but of course this becomes less noticeable after a few glasses!

4 Likes