A Whiskey Recommendation

Had a few sips of this the other day. Incredibly intense whisky, sweet and smooth, remined me a bit of the the award winning kavalan soloist, could still taste the smoky cigar ashness of t a few hours later, in a good way.

4 Likes

I actually very much like JW Green. It has a balanced flavor profile with some smoke. And it’s a blended malt, as opposed to the blended whisky most often used by JW. Also, JW Green is a somewhat of a bargain at under 900nt for an all-malt whisky aged 15 years.

I don’t feel there’s any difference. As long a we’re talking a whisky made purely of malt, they’re all good to me. I mean who cares if it’s one distillery or many. Single malts are still blends but all from the same place, right? (I mean this as an actual question because I’m not fully sure.) I think what happens many times is that people compare a no age statement blended malt, like Monkey Shoulder, with a 10 or 12 or 15 year single malt, and so of course the single malt will often seem superior.

In a comparison of the blended malt JW Green aged 15 years with, say, the Glenfiddich 15 year single malt, I think I would prefer the JW Green. Both are for the mass market. Both aged 15 years.

1 Like

I got one of these at home as a gift, waiting for my buddies for cigars and whisky night to try this one out together with a Kavalan and a Laphroaig Sherry cask. I was worried about this one, now I want to try it!

Yes, this one’s a true beauty.

Didn’t know there was such a thing. I just checked and now very interested. But the Bowmore 15 year will come first (similar thing with peat and sherry cask ageing).

Right now, I am moving a bit away from sherry cask aging/finish to less sweet and unpeated whiskies. But I’ll go back to both flavors in not too long.

1 Like

I can totally understand, this is my coming back to sherry casks.

btw this is the one I got, 1L bottle for 1,800 NT.

4 Likes

i’ve enjoyed the quarter cask, not tried this one

1 Like

This is a top 5 for me. Malt. Very heavy malt. Sweetness. Some smoke, I think, but very faint. Unpeated from Islay. 50% abv. Check. No coloring. Check. No chill-filtering. Check. Add a bit of water for a beautiful dram. 1,100 on sale at 橡木桶洋酒.

It’s a no age statement and I guess some of the youngness is evident, meaning that there’s not much subtlety. It’s possible, though, that I’ll like this more than some of their aged stuff.

5 Likes

great scotch and great price, that costs double in canada

1 Like

I’m sure also pricier in the US. But I guess there was a tariff reduction recently so maybe not quite double the price. I guess this normally retails here in Taiwan for 1500 nt? Not quite sure. I think I would still buy it for that price, but it would be an infrequent purchase.

1 Like

Prices on par in the U.S - less that 1500, more than 1100 ($45 here).

1 Like

My friends and family in Canada instinctively assume I’m making big bucks because of how many different bottles of whisky I try in Taiwan. Meanwhile, I’ve lived here long enough that I momentarily assume they’re rich because of how many different craft beers they can try. I mean, my single-malt whisky habit being cheaper than my beer habit … it’s just so darn un-Canadian.

Then I’ll tell them I picked up a beer at the 7-11 on my way home from work, and they weep.

3 Likes

I was thinking taxes more than tariffs, until a few posts ago. There are basically no single malts for $45.

1/3 cheaper in Ontario than Vancouver! Luckily I’m OK with the same old lager again and again!

I was visiting Vancouver from Bangkok one Christmas, popped into a 7-11 to grab some beers on my way home one night. Must have spent 5 minutes searching the fridges for beer before I remembered what country I was in.

Moving from Thailand to Canada I switched to drinking a lot more red wine and less beer. I’m looking forward to a whiskey switch since it seems quite reasonable here (once I get outta this darned hotel)!

1 Like

Yesterday I got delivered Glenfiddich’s 15 on accident with my grocery. I decided to be a goody goody and tell them I didn’t actually pay for it because I didn’t want the delivery guy to get in trouble by mistake. But it turns out, no one else ordered it so I could have kept it without anyone knowing.

Should have just been a scumbag.

1 Like

No, you did the right thing. But maybe it’s a sign you need to purchase a bottle of that!

1 Like

You’re an anti-virtuist! Always open. Always taste THEN call the shop. :doh: :laughing:

2 Likes

All from the same distillery, yes. With blends it’s more that they include grain spirits in the mix, more than the age necessarily. Is the Green 15 years all malt? That’s good! Lots of different preferences, that was just mine about JB products especially and pretty true in general for blends.

1 Like

I believe the key phrase to look for is “blended malt,” as opposed to “blended scotch,” with the second one being the stuff with the cheap grain whisky mixed in.

Yes, all malt. It’s called a “blended malt.” JW Green at around 800nt if you look around is great bang for your buck.

What’s a 'progressive distillers '?

I have no idea. And “hebridean”? Never heard of that. At some point I stop the analysis and just enjoy the glass in my hand and repeat over and over “life is good.” Okay, it’s too early for this.

1 Like