A Whiskey Recommendation

Thanks. Interesting.

What’s this? I pay 1800 and I get dinner and a bottle of whisky? Wasn’t what I was expecting, but I could be tempted.

How did you receive this? Do you just signup to maijiu.com?

I am a member at my9. There’s an outlet close to my office. Becoming a member gets you a discount on purchases and you just need to give them your number.

Not really sure what the deal is with this dinner. I’m not really interested in the dinner and tasting. But I do know Aberlour has some decent whiskies so there’s a part of me that is interested. Their 12 year is decent and I’ve been hearing very good things about their slightly more pricier whiskies. They might be part of the tasting at this event.

Are you a big whisky drinker, cigarbar? Please share what you’re enjoying in this thread.

Oh I see now, they’ve mistranslated Aberlour as Abel. I’ve only ever had the A’bunadh which was nice, but at about 60% isn’t really a whiskey you can enjoy for too long.

Maybe I’ll join up and see if there are any other events coming up soon.

I’ve only just arrived in Taiwan, so not done much whisky drinking recently. I have just bought a bottle of 18 year old Inchmurrin from the Loch Lomond distillery. I had a bottle of single cask whisky they made which was great. I also got a bottle of Ardbeg Uiegadail, because, well, it’s delicious.

I haven’t opened either yet, but I’ll post some photos when I do!

1 Like

That’s exactly the one I’ve heard good things about. I mostly just sip now so I don’t see a problem with the high abv.

60% is too high in terms of taste for me. A drop of water and it’s palatable, otherwise it’s like drinking fire.

1 Like

For whisky tasting events/evenings you could consider the ‘Taipei Whisky Club’. A great bunch of people who meet fairly regularly. The Taipei Whisky Club | Facebook

1 Like

This looks perfect! I’ll try and make their next event. Thanks for the info.

Are you in the group?

1 Like

Having spent time on the bogs cutting turf I never imagined folks would drink bog water when adults. :grin:

6 Likes

I just got this at duty free, ~2200 NTD; looking forward to having her for company in my three weeks of quarantine!

Maybe I shouldn’t have had the first glass with breakfast Cheetos, but I just got to the hotel. It is OK, a little too easy to drink. I don’t regret it duty free and 20% off, but wouldn’t recommend. The flavour reminds me of J&B (my cheap go-to) but without the burn. I find myself missing the burn.

4 Likes

Hope you have more than the one bottle then!

3 Likes

pesky customs restrictions, they only let me bring in one :frowning:

1 Like

The A’Bunadh (or something like that) is excellent. It’s their standard cask strength, bottled at 60%, but smooth like a regular 40-ish % bottling. Probably $2,000 a bottle.

2 Likes

Soon. It’s second in line. There’s one whisky I’ve been meaning to buy flor a long time.

Great. Yes, I’m in the group… joined recently.

Rum cask finish. I think now my favorite method of imparting some sweetness to a scotch. Second is port cask finish, and last is sherry cask finish. All good. But this was brilliant. So many flavors and a very natural sweetness. Highly, highly recommended.

@wcr , thanks for the recommendation somewhere up there in this thread.

6 Likes

Watch Pirates on Netflix now.:palm_tree:.

3 Likes

My standby is Jim Beam Black. And at NT $1,000 for 1.75 liters at
Carrefour, you just can’t go wrong.

2 Likes

I’m all for Highland park 12 year. Bought a Jonnie walker green label at Carrefour on offer, what a disappointment. The Jonnie walker green is too boring, nothing special just smooth and balanced…
Black got worse maybe 6-7 years ago. Seems I won’t buy Jonnie anymore

Bring your liver to the party.

Kind of an apples and oranges comparison there. You’ve re-proven that a quality single malt is better than a blend :slight_smile: Not that I won’t drink them, but not a huge JW fan.