A Whiskey Recommendation

I’ve come to this thread because I have a hankering for Fireball right now and it’s the only place on this whole forum that’s discussed it. It seems like all of you who have it here brought it back from Canada or the US. Anyone see it in TW or am I going to wait til after COVID for some rumrunners to bring it to me?

2 Likes

breakfast of champions

also, i’m 95% sure my bottle shop in K-town has it

1 Like

If K-town has it Taipei had better have it as well!! I have made exactly no effort to look for it. Figured I’d see what Forumosans knew before running around the city looking for it :blush:

I found it at my9 (by searching in their website), but I would call ahead to make sure the store you go to actually has it in stock.

2 Likes

3 new bottles! all three of these i prefer with a little water, each is delightful in its own way. i think all three are fairly easy to find. 999, 999, 1250NT respectfully

sweet:

smokey:

oaky:

5 Likes

That’s a superb selection. Have you tried the the Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 year old single malt whisky? It sells at around 1,500.

2 Likes

I haven’t passed the 1300NT mark yet, but am running out of cheaper whiskies to try so will get there eventually!

3 Likes

I know what you mean. There are certain
ones that are worthy of paying more than 1,500 for. I would be interested in what you fellow whisky lovers have to say. Lagavulin 16 yr is one that is worth it. In a bar, a healthy pour would cost you around 400 NT +.

3 Likes

I’ve got my sights set on Mortlach 16 year (all 16 years aged in sherry casks and distilled 2.8 times), and Bowmore 15 years. The Bowmore is around that price, but the Mortlach 2,000 nt or over. Oh, and I do like that Balvenie 14 year aged in rum casks.

This one is around 1800 nt and one I would buy again.

But I mostly stick to that 1000 nt range as well. Like this beauty I enjoyed last night. No peat. No sherry, rum, port influence. Just a very nice ex-bourbon oak cask aged whisky. And look at that glass that came in the box. Two of them. My favorite glasses now. They areade of thick glass and have a very nice feel in your hands.

3 Likes

that was on my list for this time but was a bit rich for my blood, maybe next time!

do you put in much water?

i use this style of glass, great for nosing as well!

1 Like

I might try it with a glass but I always end up going back to a glass with no water added. Still experimenting with this and how it’s supposed to bring out flavors. I can’t taste any big difference.

How do you all store your bottles here in Taiwan? Do you make an effort to keep them slightly cooler? I almost always add a small cube of ice, but the motive is mainly to cool the drink off a bit, and only secondarily for dilution - but that’s because the “room temperature” storage here is quite a bit higher than the basement my father uses in Canada. I find whisky straight out of the bottle here warmer than I’d like.

2 Likes

Because I’m basically living in a hotel room right now I keep the AC on all the time (not cranked, but enough to keep the room cool and dry). i definitely drink blended scotch on the rocks, the last bottle was cutty sark which i’d never had before and i found it tasted very chocolatey on ice

I’ve started to be more systematic with the water, using a 1 oz jigger for the dram and a 1/2 tsp measure for the water. for the laphroaig, glenmorangie 10, and spey chairman’s choice i find the dilution has a negative effect. for the bunnahabhain 12, dalwhinnie 15, aberfeldy 12, and balvenie double cask, i’ve found the 1/2 tsp per oz is enough to change the flavour nicely (for the bunn. a full tsp is also OK).

that cask strength aberlour that @marasan is drinking should be over 60% (depending on the batch?) so a pretty strong nip without experimenting with a bit of water!

2 Likes

Just out and unchilled. I usually buy a bottle and finish it off before buying a second. And I drink only at night after the AC has been on for hours so the temperature of the whisky has always been fine for me.

1 Like

No coloring. Check. No chill filtering. Check. 46% ABV. Check.

This is a very nice whisky and one I’ll be going back to from time to time. Not sweet. Not peated. Nice, full flavor from Speyside. Fruity, floral, smooth. There’s a little spiciness in the finish but that goes away on the second glass. I added a little water and it’s the first time I felt a whisky was better that way. 1,100 nt at my9.

I very much want to try the 18 year version. But at 3,000 nt, I’ll have to wait for a special occasion.

3 Likes

Finally got this, 1699NT (batch 65); have had one dram and WOW it is sweet. Even after a solid drop of water (not ice, just a decent dollop) it was still very sweet (I think the water helped though). I saw the Tobermory 12 today and had it in my hand but too much on the shelf right now :smiley:

2 Likes

Good question and I haven’t figured out a real solution. I used to simply keep them in the kitchen but, as the collection has grown, I realize that it’s the warmest room when things are sealed up so they are currently downstairs in the coolest room in the apartment.

1 Like

That’s a good price. I’ve seen it as high as 2000 nt.

So was it too sweet for you? To me, there is some sweetness that seems to not work with the underlying whisky, especially with the sherry cask aging. But the A’bunadh gives me none of that fakeness or unnaturalness taste that turns me off.

1 Like

My bottle shop is the best.

Too sweet for me, I much prefer the 12 year Aberlour. My second dram was equal parts whiskey and water but still quite sweet (great value if I drink the whole bottle like that though, 1.4 litres!).

2 Likes

Sorry about the bad recommendation! Maybe you can save it for guests, especially those that don’t like too much spiciness in the finish.