A Whiskey Recommendation

I did not see it in any stores here yet, but to me “El Whisky” sounds great.

1 Like

Whiskey drinkers may like this famous old 1873 short story about whiskey. Less than a five-minute read.

Bill Nations by Bill Arp (Henry Charles Smith), funny story about whiskey drinkers

1 Like

Started early today. This is so very nice. Sherry aging. Not sure if finished or whole duration in sherry casks. NAS. No color. No chill filtering. Islay whisky but unpeated. 46.3% abv. Really enjoying the dried fruit, dark chocolate, spice, malt sweetness, nuts. 800 and some change at Costco.

5 Likes

I can’t see a story in its entirety. It skips pages. But I love the old American English.

This is nice. Thanks @marasan for the recommendation!

I was expecting something more sweet and less smokey, but still really enjoying the first glass (with a drop of water). 1099NT at the bottle shop.

2 Likes

Quite enjoying this. Fruity and dry. Not overwhelming. Not bad for the price.

2 Likes

Although I drank a lot of whiskey in the first month or two after discovering a well-priced shop with amazing selection, it tapered off because I like a cold bubbly beer after work because of the heat. Today, whiskey was just the thing. I was thinking about it on the ride home tonight and man this is hitting the spot!

1 Like

I agree completely. And I would add that peated whiskies taste much better when the temperatures drop. I’m enjoying some Talisker 10 now, and I’m waiting for slightly cooler weather so I have a good excuse to buy some Ardbeg 10.

2 Likes

Last night I had a dram of the Tobermorey, so tonight it is the Glenfarclas, but I definitely thought about going to the bottle shop for something peaty!

2 Likes

I think I’ve got this one, the bottle looks the same. They had a few others at different prices but this one was 1200NT; we couldn’t find the box and there’s no year or age statement. I think I got a good deal.

Opening it up and having a dram: wow, that’s nice. peaty on the nose without a hint of alcohol (at 50%!), smooth, peaty, just a beautiful dram.

2 Likes

Just got back from Scotland so have a large haul to get through.

Ledaig 18 is excellent. Nice balance of Sherry and peat.

4 Likes

Been on an Islay kick lately. Tried this Port Charlotte as per the bottle shops recommendation. It’s a fine drink, 50 abv but overpriced at 1500NT. Maybe because it has all the award stickers all over it. Imho It tastes like it should be no more than 1000NT.

A splash of water brings it to life a bit, but for my palette it’s a little bland. Intensely peaty and with some nice notes, but almost no sweetness to speak of to balance it.

My go-to for Islay is still the 10 year Ardbeg. I’ve not encountered a better one yet in the price range (1250NT). I love the intense flavor and the almost honey-like sweetness.

LaPhroaig quarter cask is also a nice runner up.

2 Likes

you shoulda got the scottish barley PCHPISM that i just posted, it’s a delight!

not the peat dragon of the quarter cask, which i also like but didn’t fancy. i haven’t tried the ardberg yet but i think @marasan recommended that as well. nice collection you have, but there isn’t really anything sweet there at all is there? it’s all woody/smokey/peaty?

speaking of overpriced for what you get, how do you like the green label?

2 Likes

I believe this is made by the Bruichladdic distillery. They do those Islay Barley whiskies I really like. I definitely need to try a Port Charlotte this winter.

I am in 100% agreement with this. Ardbeg 10 is at the top, followed by Laphroaig Quarter Cask. BTW, Ardbeg 10 is nowhere to be found now. Don’t know what happened.

2 Likes

We both got the Bruichladdic Port Charlotte Heavily Peated Islay Single Malt; but he go the ‘10 year’ version and I got the NAS ‘Scottish Barley’ version. Both are 50%. His was overpriced at 1500NT, mine was a steal at 1200NT :man_shrugging:

There was also a Bruichladdic Port Charlotte Heavily Peated Islay Single Malt for 3200NT, yet another variety, probably aged longer. They had like 5 different bottlings with the same name at my bottle shop!

If I see it at my shop (which is actually two shops, because one wasn’t big enough to hold all the booze) do you want me to grab you one?

1 Like

Maybe not quite yet. I’m actually okay with my choices now. But if we get into late December and the same situation, yes definitely. Thanks for asking.

Also, we had a small whisky gathering lately. I may ask here if others want to go for the next one.

1 Like

strange, i’m having a second glass of this and it tastes like a completely different beast!

suddenly i’m wishing i’d gotten the quarter cask after all!

1 Like

I’ll def see if my shop carries it. They had another variety of the heavily peated which was cheaper but sprang for the pricier one.

I liked the green label. I think I enjoyed it more because my expectation was low. I’d always kept away from blends, and especially johnnie walker. It’s just so heavily advertised and ubiquitous I assumed it was garbage scotch.

It was people talking upthread that convinced me to pick it up when I saw it for 920, and I’d say it was priced appropriately at that.

It was buttery and didn’t go down hot, also a beautiful golden color.

2 Likes

Have you tried one of the Bruichladdic Islay Barleys or the Classic Laddie? There’s a real unique taste there (because of the local Islay barley? I think maybe more than that). My guess is that it is with this base that they make their peated whiskies. Anyway, my opinion of their unpeated whiskies changes from excellent to just so so, and then back to excellent so I can understand your comment above.

Sipping on some now. I still like it. After some peat, I felt like some smokiness but no peat. JW Green was the obvious choice.

By the way, what is everyone’s next splurge purchase? I’m eyeing the Bunnahabhain 18 year old which sells for a bit under 3,000 nt. I’m reading some great reviews of this whisky. Maybe for Christmas.

1 Like