A Whiskey Recommendation

why not the quarter cask?

good value, the non-entry bottling are highly recommended on this thread!

2 Likes

On the to do list are Whiskys I already had and just need to write the reviews.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in hearing about these two.

1 Like

Back for some Talisker 10. I’m tasting more sweetness this time around. Very peated on the nose but then the taste has a sweetness you don’t really expect. On the box it states “smoked salmon.” Yes, that’s a very good description of the finish! I can taste the sea in the finish. I’m enjoying it but I think it would have been better with some cooler temps.

2 Likes

Last years tale of cake was nice.
I hope I can get a bottle or two of the new edition.

1 Like

I’ve seen some type of “Cake” Glenmorangie but never bought a bottle. This is the first time I’ve heard anyone mentioning it.

I did enjoy it.
I usually have three bottles open, one sweet one peat and a “unknown / new” one.

2 Likes

Nose: At 50% abv, the smell of alcohol is present right away. Then there’s some deep sweetness and malt. Barley smell is definitely there. Zero smoke and zero peat.

Palate: That alcohol again and so there’s some spiciness. Butter, brown sugar.

Finish: Some apples. Pepper. Oak. Wine. Oil.

No color. No chill filtering. I highly recommend any of the Bruichladdic whiskies. They have peated varieties under different names. But these are unpeated and they are trying to do something special with these whiskies. It’s very obvious.

1300 nt.

2 Likes

i like the classic laddie but i hate the color of the bottle!

1 Like

I guess that’s supposed to be the color of the sea in the area when the sun is shining. But I don’t believe it! Just trying to stand out, probably. Good company but they still need to think about marketing.

it’s a trendy color in kitchens these days, maybe they’re appealing to the wives!

1 Like

Finally finished all the bottles on the shelf, it was pretty sweet goings at the end. Went back to the bottle shop thinking about something peaty, and was looking at trying a Laophraig that isn’t the Quarter Cask.

But then I saw this, and at 1050NT for a litre bottle at 60%abv it was quite a deal. Reviews were good. I’ve never tried Glenfarclas, seemed like a sensible choice.

Got it home, opened the bottle, knocked back a quick taste, then let it sit for a few days. Poured a solid dram and let it sit about 30 minutes. First sip, still too strong. I’ve added a healthy drop of water, but still not really enjoying it. The other cask strength whiskeys I tried took a little while to acclimate, so I’m cautiously optimistic that I’ll enjoy it eventually. Haven’t had to throw any away yet!

but also, i’ll probably go back for another bottle before this one is done…

2 Likes

I also was not that impressed with Glenfarclas 105. They have another one that’s often sold (can’t think of which it is) and I was similarly not impressed. The spiciness on the finish is too intense and not enough sweet maltiness for me.

But looking at why you bought the 105, I can completely relate because I had similar reasons for why I took the plunge and tried this whisky. Not undrinkable but not something I look forward to like most whiskies I buy.

1 Like

The double-peated whisky is expected to win over whiskey lovers with its richness and complex flavor. The tipple is presently distributed in Malaysia, Singapore, and Taiwan, and will be available in more countries soon.

1 Like

I really like Glenfarclas. To me they are very reasonable priced when it comes to older bottlings.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. I stopped at the 12 year. I see the 17 year is around 1,800 nt at my9. That’s definitely much cheaper than most at that age. I may try that sometime.

17 years. Is that a new? I had 21 and 25.

1 Like

I did a search on the my9 website and came up with these results:

I’ve seen the 105, 12, and 17 year versions in the store.

Bowmore 15. From the No.1 whisky, and then I think aged a bit more before spending the last three years in sherry casks. Just beautiful. So many flavors (so very beautifully complex) and the peat is not overwhelming. Perfect for the cooler temperatures.

I thought I would splurge just a tiny bit. A bit over 1400 nt.

Went back for a second bachelor’s degree somewhat late in life. Paid off my student loans today. Man that felt good.

I highly recommend this one. Top ten for me.

5 Likes

Gratulations!

1 Like