According to popular YouTube vlogger China's golden age is over for foreigners

I’m sure he has alluded to it many times in his videos.

But he can’t criticise everything constantly. It is Not a free country and he has been attacked many times by the online hordes. He could be thrown out of the country too.

1 Like

Well he is kind of in a vulnerable position, isn’t he? He can allude to things and make the viewers make up their own mind.

Even his last video where he mentions Winnie the Pooh and the terrible regression…You know he could get banned for that and thrown out of China?

And you call him a loser. Cheeky.

2 Likes

if Chinese think all south Africans are black why wouldn’t you teach them that its not the case. i’m pretty sure Taiwanese don’t know it either since my gf wasn’t aware. it was quite simple to explain they also have white people there. she understood it, her brain didn’t explode. Europeans don’t know the difference of canada and america? thats news to me.

its just another one of his crap excuses. he also insisted he was British when he was living in south Africa.

Guys make more money than 90 % of folks here. Why would you call a loser someone in the first place? Well i remember guys, watch few videos, they look cool to me, one has hot wife… well another one not

China golden age was over, when Prince Charles left Hong Kong on that boat

5 Likes

Would you want to spend endless minutes of your time explaining this? Every time?

Europeans do know the difference. Thus, Americans saying they are Canadians.

1 Like

it takes endless amounts of time to say ‘south africa has white people’?

it doesn’t. and the fact that he was already doing this in south africa should be enough to tell you its more his problem than chinese peoples. if you still wan’t to believe his reasoning then fair enough, just don’t try to be logical about it.

and the canadian example isn’t the same thing so i don’t need to talk about that any further.

You be you, Tiger.

i have a bullshit detector. and its goin off whenever i see winston and his lame ass excuses.

Under Xi, China has been imposing increasingly restrictive laws and there has been a marked increase in hypernationalist sentiment in China.

He’s not the only foreigner in China feeling this way. His friend laowhy86 has moved back to the US and another friend of his, Prozzie, moved to Taiwan last year. They cite similar reasons: it’s getting more difficult to live as a foreigner under Xi’s increasing nationalist authoritarianism.

As for explaining to the people of China that there are white South Africans, you can repeat it every second until the day you die, but they will still say “What?? There are white South Africans???”

1 Like

Why?

Much of what he says in his videos in China is self-censored because of Chinese law and society. He explains it here (starting at time mark 10:35), in a video filmed in the US, where he can speak freely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiRIN3Hyd_w

1 Like

LOL

A few years ago there was a mass migration of foreigners to China. The ones who left called us who stayed in Taiwan losers. I hate that word. Those choices are quite personal.

True, short term they made a lot of money, and certainly some lived the expat dream of servants and riches, but it was never theirs. In a dictatorship, anyone, anytime, can have the rug pulled under their feet. I wouldn’t call them losers, nevertheless.

6 Likes

I like his stuff. Especially appreciate the risks they have taken the last few years. You can tell him and CMilk have a deep love for China, but they are just disappointed. I feel the same way. Its sad that vloggers who started with the mission of presenting the positives of China have become cynical and deflated to the point where they have to leave.

For Taiwan, for foreigners in China and Chinese themselves, really hope that the Xi era is over soon and we can return to the direction the country was going under Hu.

Why?

He is financially independent and makes money from doing what he loves. I respect the sacrifices he had to make and the drive to make things happen. Guarantee has a better life than 99% of us schlubs

3 Likes

I got the feeling that @tango42 equaled being nobody special to be a loser. Maybe that guy’s famous or special only for being different to most of the people around, in other words, for being a whitey in China. Well, at least he managed to do something out of that. And even if he didn’t have done shit… why would he be a loser? For not being a star?

Most people are average, normal… because well, it’s implied in the definition of average and normal.

2 Likes

The one foreigner in China who turned their xenophobia into digits in his bank account. Can’t fault him for that.

3 Likes

Hell I don’t know other than impressions based on my vast experience with The Human Condition. He could of started as a winner and is still a winner.

I’m not trying to say I’m a winner, or a loser.

You come out of this exchange looking like a loser. Or a suanming, take your pick.

If you are going to call somebody a loser have the stones to back it up. Don’t be getting all wishy washy flim flammy.