Adhesive tape & sticker residue remover

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner or trick to get this stuff off windows/glass?

Several months ago I put several strips of wide cellophane tape on my windows to keep them from being blown out during a typhoon.

Because I’m lazy, I didn’t take them off until yesterday. Now there are huge tracks of sticky tape backing left on the windows. I tried glass cleaner and other household cleaners but it won’t come off.

[color=green]EDIT – title changed by mod from Something to remove tape backing left on windows? --DB[/color]

At B&Q they have these enzyme washes (usually near the paint section) that work well on getting this kind of stuff off. Just spray on and wipe vigorously.

Yeah, I picked up a spray can at B&Q that says something like Adhesive Remover, and it smells like grapefruit peel oil. Works well for price tag residue too. Well worth it. (EDIT: don’t use this or WD-40 on anything that would be damaged by oils, e.g., paper products)

EDIT2: No, it’s called Nature Lemon Remove of Stickers :stuck_out_tongue:
Blue top, green can with pink Chinese letters; the English is a tiny subtitle

W-D 40 should work for this as well.

You could try lighter fluid and a razor blade. But not on a car widow.

I’m with TC… never met an adhesive residue that WD40 couldn’t remove… and once you’re done it has a million other uses… got to love WD40 :smiley:

nail polish remover?

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Yeah, I picked up a spray can at B&Q that says something like Adhesive Remover, and it smells like grapefruit peel oil. Works well for price tag residue too. Well worth it. (EDIT: don’t use this or WD-40 on anything that would be damaged by oils, e.g., paper products)

EDIT2: No, it’s called Nature Lemon Remove of Stickers :stuck_out_tongue:
Blue top, green can with pink Chinese letters; the English is a tiny subtitle[/quote]

Thanks that sounds fantastic! I’ve stuck up kids art and birthday party decorations all over my house and now can’t get the tape and little bits of paper of my walls. I think you may have just saved my marriage. :laughing:

Dragon;
Glad you got the problem solved. Occasionally, I grab an indelible marker instead of the wipe off kind and I found a couple of squirts of hairspray does the trick. I bet it would work on tape residue to boot. Of course, the first time this happened, I had a glass of vodka in front of me and used a couple dabs of that but it seems a hell of a waste of good vodka.

Before my last move I taped up the drawers of some cabinets, desks, etc., using what I thought was easily-removable masking tape. It wasn’t. Time passed and I never bothered to try getting it off. Now it’s even more stuck than ever. Any tips for un-sticking this stuff? It’s some kind of parcel tape.

My roommate taught me this last night! And it worked GREAT:
Get your blow dryer and blow it until it is hot. The adhesive melts. So you can peel it right up and then the adhesive that is left can be rolled up into little balls with your fingers.

Thanks!

One problem – my blow dryer? I think one needs a decent amount of hair to justify having a blow dryer. However, I’ll see if I can borrow one.

[color=blue]WD-40[/color]

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][color=blue]WD-40[/color][/quote]Cheers. I’ll try that now.

By the way, I hope this proves my “real man” credentials. I have WD-40 on hand but no blow dryer! :wink:

There is also stuff I believe to be called PAPER-OFF that might work. You can pick it up in most stationary stores. Comes in a little nail polish type bottle.

Hmmm… WD40 works a bit but slowly and the tape’s still a pain to get off. Might have to try the “girlie-man” blow dryer option.

[quote=“navillus”]There is also stuff I believe to be called PAPER-OFF that might work. You can pick it up in most stationary stores. Comes in a little nail polish type bottle.[/quote]I’ll look out for that.

Let us know Joe, as I have rows of sticky tape along the top of my table. I put them on as a defense shield against my kitten. Didn’t work of course and now I’m stuck eating on the left side all the time.

B&Q sells an adhesive remover which includes lemon oil among other things. You spray it on, wait a minute, and wipe it and the gunk off. Works very well but do not use on paper or cardboard items, as they will end up with an oil spot. B&Q sells it in the same aisle as (and last I checked directly across the aisle from) the small cans of Japanese wood stains. I’ve been using the same can for years to remove stubborns price tags and other stuff – a VERY worthwhile purchase.

Name? Design on bottle so we illiterates can find it. Even a pic if you have one handy. :notworthy:

There’s a solvent -type stuff called “Goof-off” and an oil/ lemon type stuff called “Goo-gone”. Don’t know where to find or what it’s called here, but I’ve seen both at B&Q in yellow packaging with almost no English. Paint section or Cleaning section. also Lighter fluid works well and of course WD_40. If you’re using any oil based solvent stuff, you should try it out in a test area first. Also try dish soap and plain lemon.