Advice for marriage difficulties

People who own dogs are also generally happier and healthier. So if you can’t figure out how to find a good partner, it’s better to just get a dog.

2 Likes

What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. :grin:

3 Likes

None of that translates into more fun in life.

Living longer, meh. But being healthier is more fun just because the alternative (being ill) is so unfun.

I agree. Living before in NZ, Hawaii and California for the most part I drove a car 95% the time. I would not feel good going out on date without a car there (I did a somewhat experiment once with female Taiwanese visitor and I arrived at her residence via public transport, and I she mentioned why I did not drive my car with unhappy look)). There are places where a car is not needed as mentioned but I found in New Zealand it was way easier to drive. (I only used the bus to/from the airport and ferry boat sometimes, other than that there no trains between the big cities so had to drive!)

I should specify that I expect most American adults to be able to drive, including women. But yeah, I personally wouldn’t date an American man who cannot drive because 99% of the time that‘s a red flag reading “I’m a little baby.”

I don’t know a thing about New Zealand as Ive never been, sadly.

It seems the generation after us don’t really care for driving. Even the guys. When I was 15, all the guys couldn’t wait to drive. But the younger kids I speak to couldn’t care less. They see it as a burden and hassle.

1 Like

I think maybe OP should ask his wife if the main reason for her unhappiness is her own station in life when they’re with the counselor. Because that’s what it sounds like to me mostly. I’m sure the marriage has some issues like any marriage but it feels to me it’s her own inability to accept her life and the choices that got her there that is a main issue in all of this.

2 Likes

I wasn’t particularly interested in driving, but I did it because I wanted a job and money to spend as I wished. Couldn’t get to a job without driving.

Owning a car is definitely a bit of a hassle, though. When things go wrong it’s a huge pain in the ass.

Ah bah humbug. Life is what we make of it. Getting divorced sure isn’t fun I agree !

Yeah she needs to be HONEST.

What about a guy who wouldn’t eat a good ole Burger with American cheese ?

Or maybe he will eat a burger but just an Impossible Burger and he says I will have a salad with it ?

What about that…Eh …Eh ?

• Why do men usually die before their wives?
  • Because they want to.

Some of you might like the Czech movie “Teorie tygra”. Rather cynical, bordering on misogynistic, but entertaining. You’ll recognise the characters from your social circle :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t care. Not sure why you’re so perturbed by the idea that an American woman would think less of another American for not learning how to drive, since that is so often a sign that they still have some growing up to do. :yawning_face:

Hmm, lot of red flags there…or maybe green?

1 Like

Whoever told you that just watched Marriage Story. Not a bad movie, ScarJo + Adam Driver.

It’s a JOKE. :sunglasses:

Oh, I forgot it was the other guy who got so up in arms about it.

Relax. Nobody was “up in arms” about it.

1 Like

Hola. Sorry I guess what I meant was addressing the bigger picture of feeling manpulated or taken advantage of. It sounds like shes gotten used to the idea that she doesnt have to respect emotional boundaries. That is certainly not enviable.

It sounds like your wife is not mature enough to confront some of the issues. But hang in there. A lot of stuff is built in and will take more than a therapy session to change. Its good she tried a lot are not willing to.

Set clear boundaries Itll get easier once the kids are a little older GL