Afghanistan is at war (again)

It looks as if nation-building was one of the goals from the beginning, back in late 2001. Mr. Willink reads (at about 1:44 in the video):

You can read the above quote, the one that Mr. Willink reads, in this book (book page 98, PDF page 112):

Wikipedia has some info on ODAs:

Gen. Bolduc seems to have had a high opinion of Hamid Karzai (at about 49:02):

1 Like

Sounds like a “you either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain” situation.

2 Likes

That’s messed up. That country is some hell hole.

1 Like

Never read The Kite Runner?

I think I read it and forgot it

Michener’s (1963) Caravans is a much better book, and also has a mention of the boy-sex as a sub-sub-plot, but that isn’t the main point (unlike the Kite Runner, which I think wouldn’t have been successful without that as the main plot point).

The main point of Caravans was the complexity of the local cultureS, the inability of outsiders to comprehend, and the clashes of not only culture but change. I’ve read it a few times, and still own a copy (the original inherited from my father has long since fallen apart!)

1 Like

I can’t tell for sure, but it looks as if maybe most or almost all of his unit was medevacked after the B-52 incident. I say that because he says that everybody was wounded, some more than others. Also, he talks about a “B team” and another ODA coming in, and he uses the term backfill, which I guess means that people were brought in to replace those who were too badly wounded to participate in the upcoming fight. They also tried to take care of the Afghan wounded. About that, he says (at about 1:01:59), “That wasn’t something that higher [i. e., higher headquarters] wanted to do, but we talked 'em [or ‘im?] into doin’ it, because it was the right thing to do.”

He decided to go through with the operation anyway, and it appears–I could be mistaken–that they met no resistance (at about 1:02:20):

He then takes responsibility for the friendly-fire bombing incident, which involves a technical explanation (beginning at about 1:02:49).

His TACP, who was among the badly wounded, also took responsibility for the incident (beginning with Mr. Willink’s (neutral) question at about 1:05:02).

Heavy is the head…

1 Like

Braver than the men.
BBC News - Afghanistan: Taliban break up women’s rights protest in Kabul

3 Likes

The article you linked to also contains this, which I read to the sound of women cussing out the Taliban (in the tweet embedded in the article):

Two tiny rays of hope.

From a Los Angeles Times article on the B-52 incident:

John Hendren and Maura Reynolds, “The U.S. Bomb That Nearly Killed Karzai,” March 27, 2002

Sounds like Kabul is great to have the next ‘Pride Parade’, they’re more than ready.

My sister in law thinks this kind of thing is hard wired into all gods creatures. Does go into the open field before the bucks. Hens before toms. Etc. she’s not wrong!

1 Like

The word Both, below, indicates there was another one (but this one is enough for me):

Major Sean P. Larkin, USAF Air-to-Ground Fratricide Reduction Technology: An Analysis (Master’s Thesis, 2005), p. 12

I’m an absolute non-tech-head, so it baffles me that the people who make these things couldn’t just make the thing so that it wouldn’t target the targeter whenever the targeter changed the batteries. I guess there’s a good reason. Or maybe they did modify it later, but other text in this thesis gives me the impression that they just came up with some kind of workaround in their procedures (at least at the time of the thesis, but I only glanced at the thesis, so it’s quite possible I misread/misunderstood it).

Or maybe nowadays they have a technology that renders all that irrelevant.

The device is called a Viper, but it’s described as a handheld device, and if the one on this webpage is the same kind of device, it doesn’t look handheld.

Sorry for the digression. :slight_smile: I hope to get to that part eventually.

Ooh, I have a great idea! Let’s fund the Taliban! :clown_face:

1 Like

It worked for the US army and air force.

1 Like

Back to the Jocko Willink video.

At about 1:11:00, Gen. Bolduc talks about how the Taliban vehicles in Kandahar were covered with mud “because that’s what they did to try and hide from our aerial observations,” and adds that this was also “a way for us to identify . . . if they were bad guys or good guys.”

At about 1:11:52, General Bolduc relates the freeing of Jan Mohammad from jail. The General says that Jan Mohammad was a “very, very close friend of Karzai,” and that Jan Mohammad had been “imprisoned by the Taliban and tortured for a very, very long time.” The General says he became friends with Jan Mohammad.

At about 1:12:52, Gen. Bolduc describes Jan Mohammad as “a wild man” and says that he was needed in Uruzgan Province, because “it was full of Taliban, and it was full of Al-Qaeda, and we needed a guy like that to go up there and, you know, clean house.” The General adds that Jan Mohammad’s methods were different from what might be acceptable to the international community, “and so we had to keep a very close eye on that.”

At about 1:13:30, the General relates an event that took place after Jan Mohammad entered Mullah Omar’s office:

Edited to add that their initial successes understandably produced an optimistic outlook. At about 1:14:13:

1 Like

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2021-09-07/china-weighing-occupation-of-former-us-air-base-at-bagram-sources

Do you think we could persuade them to take our place in Iraq and Syria as well?

2 Likes

3 days ago:

Wouldn’t it be fantastic if China got sucked in. Maybe the result of an IS suicide attack on Chinese troops.