After earthquake, coming back to Taiwan

I am coming back to Taiwan after my vacation on Sunday. After the earthquake on Wednesday, I saw some photos online(stuffs fell on the floor, walls fractured). Now I am thinking whether I need to take some precautions before/after entering my apartment. Please suggest if you can think of anything. Thanks a lot.

Get a grip man

15 Likes

The worst of it is in Hualien, and also not all cracks are cause for concern. I think cracks around doors and wall sockets is nothing to be concerned about.

1 Like

Before entering, knock on the door and make sure no ghosts have squatted.

If they have, prepare some paper tvs, ipads, and money to get them out.

When inside, make sure they have pillows also.

10 Likes

Don’t take off your shoes before inspecting the apartment. Check for cracks in the walls. That’s pretty much it. Maybe ask your neighbours if they had any damage too.

8 Likes

In addition to what’s been posted, I would suggest:

• Refrain from taking any quick hiking trips to Taroko National Park.

• Avoid high mountain trips in general, as well as any cross-island highways for a while.

If you’re on the plains, and your building is still standing (as I am pretty certain it will be), thank the stars and bless this beautiful yet fragile island.

Guy

8 Likes

I’ll be traveling up the mountain roads when I come back next week. They should be fine and cleared of any rock falls by then.

1 Like

Yes we know it’s your home.

I was responding to the OP and referring to nonessential travel.

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

Wait, what?! Really?!

9 Likes

:rofl:

Guy

1 Like

To be more productive: yup, keep wearing shoes, in case of broken glass. Be careful when opening cabinet and cupboard doors, in case something inside has fallen and is leaning against the door.

But, really, I don’t think it’s something to worry about much.

EDIT: Oh no! Be careful with LEGO! I just realized some of my Lego figurines fell over. The 11th doctor has apparently lost his three-year-duel with the more stable Dalek.

8 Likes

For illustrative purposes (and no this is not related to your home, @Satellite_TV ) this is what Provincial Highway No 8 looked like in the distant historical era of . . . yesterday.

Guy

5 Likes

I am gong to be avoiding any unnecessary trips on any mountain roads after seeing the scary rockfall pictures and videos. Presumably the continuing tremors and now the rain aren’t exactly helping with that either. I have always thought that getting squished by a meteoroid strike would be a cool way to go. Squished by a rock sediments washed off the Tibetan plateau, deposited in the shallow ocean shelves, lifted from the bottom of the sea, and then finally plonked on top of me by mother nature is perhaps not the worst game over scenario. But I would definitely like to avoid it if possible.

2 Likes

Of what? That is the point.

1 Like

Yep. Also, while some know that he is a Taiwanese citizen, he actually renounced his old passport when it wasn’t possible to get it back. I am sure he won’t mind me telling you that.

5 Likes

That’s my point. Open the door get a grip. Count the dead goldfish, poor yourself a dry martini, shaken of course. And thank your lucky stars you weren’t here for the Big One.

2 Likes

Not stirred?

Probably both.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic musings

On the other hand, now’s probably the perfect time to go (no one around). Think taking flights after 911 - does flying after a terrorist attack increase your chances of being in one? Probably not.