Air purifiers, a wise investment?

I’ve been using Xiaomi air purifiers while I was living in HK, and now here. They work okay for the price, but I recently picked up an LG air purifer with the H13 HEPA filter and the difference in night and day.

My kids stuffy and runny noses in the morning has improved, and I’ve given away my xiaomis. It was money well spent.

5 Likes

An update for anyone who wants it: Day time allergies and breathing massively improved - night time still a bit of a problem. This shithole apartment just has no ventilation. Electricy bill not too different than before.

2 Likes

One thing that I have noticed recently - on top of cigarette smoke - is the cooking oil fumes from the kitchen extractor fans and thinking about that then: the hot water gas burners potentially spewing out carbon monoxide. I moved all the beds and only open windows on the cleaner outward side of the building. Plan on moving during the summer specifically to get better air. Another factor is the amount of natural light getting in as dust mites increase when there is little sunlight. Sounds like slight paranoia but when people are actually getting ill with respiratory symptoms…

No doubt those are all factors. The air purifier light changes to orange when i cook, open windows, shower etc. Wish i could move but i feel like I’m stuck here unless i can justify paying more rent or moving further out of Taipei.

I’m planning on moving but am slightly nervous of that Larry David theme music moment when after going through the moving hassle and paying more for a smaller place in a less convenient location the problem is the same.

I’m guessing it’s got to be better air in a more modern highrise with a no smoking policy though.

I totally agree with this, especially in Taipei City and points of the island in the northeast.

Guy

1 Like

Unfortunately my place has a ton of sunlight in the front of the house but the backend is dank, no windows, no ventilation. Sleeping in the front portion would be difficult though due to single glazed windows and a disgustingly loud road.

But yea sunlight does not seem to be a priority of Taiwanese. They are happy to live without windows it seems.

Got the same worries. Hard to really know how livable a place is. I’ve lived in 2 places and the experience has just made me pickier and pickier about where to live, which doesn’t help, seeing as the apartments here are 95% dog shit.

4 Likes