Air purifiers, a wise investment?

Yeah but other people might not be aware.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19930073077

1 Like

Ive provided the studies above

Kudos for doing some research. I am just sick and tired of random claims on shared internet videos with no background detail.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19930073077

I did notice this at the bottom of their technical report (these are NOT peer reviewed published papers which makes them very low quality reports scientifically ).

Both of these reports were

ā€™ā€˜Sponsored in cooperation with the Associated Landscape Contractors of Americaā€™'

This guy Wolverton left NASA later on and has founded his own company but using these old NASA reports to promote his stuff .

Not saying that some plants might not help. Like to see a lot more scientific research on it and less claims that ā€˜NASA saysā€™ ā€¦ When it was a technical report by one sponsored lab in 1989 (the nutrition business works in the same way by the way).

1 Like

So iā€™ve got an air purifier, had it for about a year now. Honeywell, smallest one they sold. It was still pretty expensive.

My place is insanely dusty, which is annoying as i have allergyā€™s. Before i got the air purifier I would wake up after 5-6 hours sleep with a completely blocked nose. Which would take a few hours to go away.
After using it i can sleep better, i will still wake up most nights though. Huge improvement from before but still not the best. Still worse sleep than i was getting when i lived with a dog.

Iā€™m thinking i might buy another one to help clean the other side of the room. anyone got experience running 2 vs 1 or 1 big one vs a smaller sized one?
Thereā€™s also the issue of noise. If you run it on a higher setting it does clean the air better but it sounds like a hoover. So 2 on a lower setting might do a better job?

I have a big one but regret the purchase and leave it turned off. It just does not seem to do much of anything.

1 Like

Japanese machines (including ones by Daikin, my preferred brand) tend to have a smaller footprint and work more quietly.

Just sayinā€™.

Guy

2 Likes

It seems all they are is just a box fan with HEPA filter on it. Could make one yourself almostā€¦

I used to remember ones that donā€™t need those expensive HEPA filter. It ionizes the air and puts out some ozone and that supposedly cause dust to fall out of the air, and kills whatever airborne germs out there. It does it by giving dust particles opposing charge so that theyā€™ll all clump together, and make it not float around. They were around 400 dollars, in 1995.

Except ozone isnā€™t too good for you either.

I bought one of these things a few months ago and I have to say Iā€™m not impressed. Itā€™s supposed to purify the air in my room, but I donā€™t notice any difference in the quality or smell. It also makes a lot of noise and consumes a lot of electricity. I think itā€™s a waste of money and space. I would not recommend it to anyone who is looking for a real air purifier. Save your coins and get something better.

I got one - honeywell and chain smoking neighbour - it definitely makes a noticeable difference when it is turned on I notice the smoke smell much less.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the big honeywells, the sharps with the ion breeze and some Chinese ones etc.
The Honeywell definitely works for the big rooms but it was bulky as hell.
The sharp was the best especially with the ion mode but I would forget to use and you need to fill it with water to create the ions.
The newest Chinese/Taiwanese HEPA cheap ones do just fine for small rooms and quiet too.
Some of them have particle detectors not sure how accurate they are but they will automatically switch on when it counts a certain amount of particles in the environment .

Take an allergy pill everyday if you are suffering from rhinitis , you will have to knock down the immune response. Change your pillow from feather pillow to anti mite pillow which might help as well .

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips. Whats a good brand of allergy medication? Iā€™ll look into the pillows. Makes sense as thats the time i need to have a clear nose.

After doing some research on air purifiers, a korean brand called Winix has the best overall rating. So iā€™ll be going for one of those.

I have a Winix. I donā€™t think I can live in Kaohsiung without itā€¦

1 Like

Cetirizine is the active drug, there are generic local manufacturers and no need for prescription. One pill a day should help a lot. It will take a day or so to start preventing the symptoms.

1 Like

I found a daily rinse with something like https://tw.iherb.com/pr/neilmed-the-original-patented-sinus-rinse-kit-50-premixed-packets-1-kit/70406 or equivalent to be an excellent solution, takes about a week of use to really notice improvements.

1 Like

My ENT prescribes a generic Zyrtec which I take at night if so required and get a pleasant, tranquil sleep without a stuffy nose. That and an air purifier/dehumidifier during the day.

This season is a nightmare. Between the bad air quality and increasing pollen count, if I forget my meds Iā€™m done. In that case, for emergencies, there is an awesome Japanese spray that acts quickly and generally fixes the problem:

3 Likes

Thanks, i actually have that one, found it recently. Surprisingly works well. I donā€™t wanna be using it every day but its good to know i can get some relief if i really need it.

Iā€™ve started running the small Air purifier i got in the day too, seems like its pretty helpful.

I have for years large Honeywells with HEPA filter and prefilter for large particles and smell. It absolutely makes difference. And prefilter is so dirty after month or two. HEPA can last a year and will turn all black. New model had particles detector so can adjust speed automatically. Thing is super accurate because 10 seconds after I open a window it detects pollution and increases the speed. Only downside is large size of machine and noise.

1 Like

Those nasal sprays are great :+1:.

Update on the new Winix ZERO S air purifier, it came this week.

Its fantastic. twice the size of the honeywell i have and twice as quiet. I got it for 5900, around 1000 ntd more than the smallest size honeywell. Great value (and apparently its also very energy efficient).

Iā€™ve been running it on auto mode throughout the day and turn it up to level 3 at night, its been very quiet and the cleaner air has helped me sleep. I will have to see how it is long term but so far its been great 3 days in.

I can sense there is still dust in the house though so its not a total fix, iā€™ll probably still think about moving somewhere else but its nice to get some improved sleep. Iā€™ve put the honeywell in the livingroom too so the whole house is covered.

5 Likes