✈ Air Travel | Pay More So Fat Person Gets Extra Seat? Survey

Is it USA has so many they have this benefit (or asking for it?/), not hear this in Japan? Why not I can get extra seat and not pay or better plus seat size? Anyone agree with this get two seats for the price of one?

• Fat person should get free extra seat
  • Or free upgrade to first class
  • or pay for bigger seat
  • or not allowed to fly

0 voters

Maybe just have a plus sized section? I get the one person one fare but two seats for your fat arse isn’t so fair to the airline is it?

It’s not like fat people are a safety issue for the plane. They won’t overload it and bring it down over the ocean or anything. But fewer seats means fewer paying customers which means prices will go up. Or maybe have a quota of fat people on each flight so the costs can be controlled before they grow wildly out of control, like— hmm like, something.

Those extra big seats are called “business class” and are available for purchase.

I agree however that the size of some economy seats (especially after some airlines obnoxiously densified aircraft, making for example B777s ten across when they were designed to be nine across) is less than ideal, and not just for “plus sized” people. :sorrow:

Guy

3 Likes

I read about that when I was in the U.S. recently. Don’t know how far that idea will go. I can say those domestic flights in U.S. are quite uncomfortable with those small seats. But I do think “larger” people will need to pay for extra seats. The costs of flying is already getting quite high in my opinion.

My sister-in-law is a larger person. When she flies in the U.S. she always brings her service dog so people tend to give up their emergency row seat for her…which I think is part of her strategy. Her service dog is to help alert her to emergencies because her hearing is very poor. Well, her husband can also provide that service in most situations. Her dog is not small…quite behaved…but not small.

1 Like

“I deserve to fly”, I disagree with that. Flying is an expensive privilege and other flyers don’t deserve to subsidize the free economy seat she demands. If she wants a bigger seat she’ll have to pay for it like everyone else who feels entitled to that privilege.

I do feel that if a normal sized passenger was allocated the seat next to her they deserve at least a 50 percent refund.

8 Likes

And by the way, there are alot of “large” people in the U.S. What would be the standard to designate someone as “fat”? Hell, I would say about 25% of the people on the flights I took recently in the U.S. are overweight.

2 Likes

Well, supposedly over 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese, so it was probably more than 25%. (Holy crap, source below says 44% of Americans age 40-59 are obese?!)

Mind you, statistically “overweight” includes lots of people who don’t seem overweight to contemporary eyes.

1 Like

If you pay for a full seat and you find out that someone’s fat rolls take up half your seat would you really accept a 50% discount? I wouldn’t.

Can you knead it?

You can, but then it will rise and get puffy, sweaty, and yeasty.

3 Likes

Alriiiiiight.

I said “at least”.

The problem is, if the flight’s full you is fooked.

I think airline passengers should be weighed with their luggage.

8 Likes

It happens

1 Like

I think Ryanair floated this kind of scheme, but public outrage shut it down.

Maybe this is related to the scheme I recall?

Guy

1 Like

I wonder how many of the people complaining this was mean would change their minds if they were on the same flight. Especially if the plane started veering off to one side after takeoff. :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Yeah there’s no room for your feelings on this flight people. Physics

2 Likes

As a guy who weighs 70-80kg (okay… closer to 80) I’m in the middle, but my wife weighs less and enjoys shopping. Why must she pay extra for a heavy suitcase filled with her “essential” purchases when a plus-sized passenger who’s also carrying extra weight doesn’t need to? In the end, it must all go up into the sky and come down again.

4 Likes

Most airlines offer a section like this, bigger second class seats but cheaper than first class/business class.

Weigh all passrngers before hand and match the fattest sitting next to the thinnest , then the second fattest next to the second thinnest …