✈ Airlines | China Airlines

Thank you for linking that story. I always appreciate reading the work of David Flynn, whether it’s about CI or other aviation matters.

Guy

2 Likes

Flew on CI, CX and AY A350s. All very nice birds, however CI was among the earliest adopters and it was quite a breeze of fresh air in an era of squeezing ppl. The cabin very spacious and airy, built for comfort tbh.

B777 are workhorses, incredible reliability and they did their job too well, albeit noisier and now old, I still enjoy flying them.

B787s are just weird imho. A hybrid: thry don’t really have the range of the A350,they don’t have the capacity od the B777 (especially cargo hold), they are not as comfy as the airbus. Weird.

But on JP airlines B787 have washlets, that’s a win🤣

The 787 can fly incredible distances. It does not (you are correct) have the cargo capacity of the 777. It is a very comfortable aircraft when it is configured in its original form—eight across in economy. Unfortunately the cheap airlines out there (again, basically everyone except JAL) has jammed an extra seat in every row of economy, making it less than ideal in a nine-across configuration. I read a couple of low cost carriers have even tried jamming ten across in the 787-10! Thank goodness I have never experienced that, and I hope I never will.

I’ll leave aside the initial growing pains (batteries catching on fire, etc) as those early issues have clearly been resolved—although not before causing grief to the Japanese carriers who adopted these planes early.

Guy

1 Like

Airlines like 787’s as they use less oil, a lot less, thus more profitable. Its why EVA and China-Taiwan Airlines bought some, as well quite few other airlines.

2 Likes

I was looking at the head-to-head figures, and @Mataiou is indeed right if comparing the 787-10 (this is the largest capacity) with the A350-900, the Airbus can fly much further. The 787-9 however is pretty comparable in range, while seating fewer people and using—as @DKaoshuing mentioned—less fuel.

Guy

1 Like

Boeing got some big orders this for 300 aeroplanes from a happy Ryan Air boss (I like Ryan air for short flights!)

OK now we are onto the notorious Max (itself a different kettle of worms!) and Ryan Air . . We are way off topic! :joy:

Guy

I like Ryan air, for what it is a low cost airline. Decent coffee and foods (you need to pay), super low airfares and clean plane. Last flight was Tallin to Wien, two day layover then back to Taiwan on EVA. Have say flight on time, bags out quicky and fast rear stairs boarding/

1 Like

It’s very much news now, as yesterday China Airlines exercised their options to expand their fleet by a further eight 787s, taking their total number of orders to 24 from Boeing.

3 Likes

Here’s a story about it, from a day ago:

https://simpleflying.com/china-airlines-exercises-options-eight-boeing-787/

It seems that CI has—at least for now—gone ahead with selecting the 787-9, the aircraft with the longest range but with fewer seats than the aforementioned 787-10.

Guy

1 Like

like the guy here, solid source

1 Like

story on this linko, sounds very bad customer service and bad PR

[Airlines offered a woman a free premium-economy ticket to apologize for locking her cat in a cage for 38 hours (msn.com)](https://

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/travel/china-airlines-offered-a-woman-a-free-premium-economy-ticket-to-apologize-for-locking-her-cat-in-a-cage-for-38-hours/ar-AA1e9W1a?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=addb4bc8b4ad4021b9677088e6e119d2&ei=51

1 Like

Sometimes it’s hard to fathom how such horseshit makes the news

5 Likes

Pampered pussy.

That fact that China Airlines is shitty is hardly news…

Weird how this sort of thing happens to influencers so frequently.

2 Likes

No, this is actually really important information for people who want to travel with pets to know. Airlines are required to make sure that everyone and thing traveling to the destination can legally do so. It’s why you have to show them your ARC to check in — they need to make sure your documents are in order. If you arrive at your destination and you don’t have the right documents in order, it’s on the airlines to accommodate your trip back. So if you’re traveling with a pet and the airline didn’t make sure everything was in order before you checked that pet in when you arrived at the first airport before your journey began, that’s completely on the airline. Passengers should not travel the first leg of their journey before the airline bothers to check that the next leg is ok to go onto. Also, to lock a pet in a tiny cage and maybe feed them (is there evidence of this happening? Or did they just say it happened when it didn’t?) for over 20 hours with no human contact borders on animal cruelty, which is at the top of “very criminal”.

2 Likes

Who in their right mind would take a cat from the US to Bali unless you were going to live there?
I guess the cat didn’t need to go into quarantine in the US, coming from Indonesia.

She complained the cat could not relieve itself on the flight back to the US. On the flight to Taipei and Bali, did it excuse itself from the cage and go to a litter box in the hold?

2 Likes

How is MSN still a thing?

Are you sure about that? I’ve heard of people reaching destination and turned back because they had passports that were expiring within 6 months. They had to pay for the return flights themselves.

1 Like