✈ Airlines - Europe | Flying with 4 cats from Taipei to Europe

My wife and I are moving to Germany in December 2022. We will bring our 4 cats. One of them is a Persian, which many airlines don’t allow in the cargo hold due to being “snub-nosed”. We depart from Taipei and need to go to Germany, between Frankfurt and Munich. We want to take only direct flights. Edit: or indirect, if all cats can be in the cabin and the waiting time between flights is < 4hrs or so.

Until today the plan was: EVA stars flying direct from Taipei to Munich in late 2022. They allow Persians in the cabin, and other cats in the cargo hold. The flights were already booked . But… they just changed the airplane type from originally 777-300ER to 787-9. On 787 the airlines that seem to be suitable don’t allow pets in the cargo hold at all, for whatever reasons. Also, only 1 pet in the cabin per passenger - so no chance to take 4 cats with 2 people. Gan!

Well, back to our backup plan: KLM to Amsterdam. Which seemingly also changed to 787, thus no 4 cats possible with 2 people. Gan!

maybe one of you Forumosans have some creative idea that I didn’t think of?

Here are all the other options that I can think of right now:

1. EVA flies to Paris with 777… but no idea if they’ll just change this as well.

2. China Airlines flies directly to Frankfurt, but does not allow Persians. We could fly separately - One person with Persian in cabin, the other one with the other three cats in the cargo hold to Frankfurt. Logistics would get a bit complicated, though…

3. Fly two times, bringing 2 cats each time and leaving the first 2 cats with friends in the meanwhile. That seems most realistic currently, but of course is much more expensive due to two more flight tickets

4. Edit: Use cargo service. I’d like to try avoiding that, due to my impression that it has a very significantly higher risk for the cats than accompanied flights (eg. very bad safety record).

2 Likes

Four more tickets

Two back to Taiwan, then two back to Germany.

Better off offering to pay for someone’s flight to Germany if they take your cat.

5 Likes

An answer only for @icon!

2 Likes

When not travelling with a Persian, one person can take multiple cats by direct flight to Frankfurt. So I think it’s “only” 2 additional flights (TPE-FRA, FRA-TPE)

I’d like to avoid that, due to being illegal. But thanks for the idea.

Edit: Sorry I was wrong. It seems not illegal if the transport is within a short time of the owner moving, and the person taking the cats has proper papers and authorization from the owner.

2 Likes

Is it possible to pay for pets to be transported separately in the cargo hold of a passenger/cargo plane, i.e. not as the accompanying “baggage” of someone flying on that plane?

1 Like

Thanks! Right, that’s the 4th option I forgot to mention in my original post.

It seems possible, however my impression currently is that there is a very significantly higher chance for animal mistreatment including death this way (apart from being quite expensive).

1 Like

Well possibly because it’s like -30 degrees or less up in the sky and they might not keep the hold climate controlled. Lots of pets die in the hold, either because it was too cold or because they got squished by other luggages. I think there’s a movement to basically not allow cats in the hold.

2 Likes

There is a separate area specifically for animals. Temperature controlled and nowhere near the luggage. When I got on the plane, I reminded the stewardess I had pets and they checked all was sound where the pets were.

Anyway, regarding the first post.
I took my two cats when I left Taiwan. I flew out on China Airlines to Amsterdam (then a boat to the UK).
The cats were in the hold. As the OP said, no option for carry on.
I would split the journey between two people so you can take the Persian with you. Even if it means having to fly to another place first. It would be inconvenient, but you want peace of mind. You could even hire a car and drive at your leisure, say from Paris to Germany.
Some Airbnb are pet friendly.
At least you would not have to do what I did. Taxi - plane - taxi - boat - car.
Also, if you are in Taipei, the vet to see is the one in Tienmu - Yang Ming.

3 Likes

I’m gonna be going back to Europe by December too, If my ticket allows it I’ll bring a cat with me if it helps you, However I’ll prob be transferring in Amsterdam

3 Likes

Am I the only one who thought @Icon was taking the trip?

As other posters I also have thought of buying an extra ticket for someone who will carry it. I was about to volunteer myself lol

2 Likes

But then you realized it was not @icon asking, but an ugly old dude? :rofl:

Just kidding. I really appreciate everyone’s ideas and suggestions. Thanks a lot all of you!

3 Likes

Haha, I’d do it for the cat and for the free ticket to Germany!

1 Like

Awesome! And some additional beer of course :slight_smile:

I can accept dinners and my feet are sore, just in case you are good at giving massages :smiley:

1 Like

A friend of mine got a cargo service and the trip was smooth and safe. Easier paperwork I was told. But it was not to Europe.

I’d look into pet transport services. Most go out if Singapore but it’s an option.

1 Like

Seriously, have someone else joining the trip. He or she can also help carrying extra luggage. Maybe a relative who can also visit Taiwan for a few days?

2 Likes

Oooh! @olm pick me! I can get laid in Germany.

1 Like

I said it first!

1 Like

I have mod advantages!

1 Like

But are they like the mods in the videogames, which let you change the physical properties of the players, like, I don’t know, enlarging body parts and so?

1 Like