All About Avocados

I wonder about the fat content of Taiwan avocado? I’m guessing similar to other green skin smooth ones.

• Hass (California, New Zealand) contains 4.6 grams of fat
  • Green skin smooth (Florida) avocado averages 3 grams of fat.
1 Like

Macca’s Hass Avocado Burger is good, next time will try the Salad. Good to see big chain fast food place sell it.

1 Like

And Subway too.

Bump … so are Haas avocados currently absent from the island, or have I looked in the wrong places? I haven’t been able to find them in a Danshui Wellcome, a Danshui PXMart, or the Zhishan Carrefour.

It may not be a coincidence that the local ones are now everywhere. Or that the local PXMart, about a month ago, had a massive bin of cheap, small, and alarmingly soft Haas avocados for sale.

I usually see them on Yingzhuan road on the little fruit stands.

1 Like

Every Wellcome and Carrefour I’ve been in has loads of them. Totally unripe, but they are there.

2 Likes

Thanks. I tried a different couple of fruit stands today, over towards Xuefu Road, with no luck; I’ll look on Yingzhuan Road tomorrow. (I’ve got a big batch of taco filling in the fridge, darn it!)

I don’t know if there is a season though.

They used to be a harder-to-find item, and maybe seasonal, but for the past few years they’ve seemed to always be around. Until the past couple of weeks. I was quite surprised I couldn’t find them in the Zhishan/Tianmu Carrefour today.

Tianmu Carrefour is the test market Carrefour. I wouldn’t put it past them to constantly move things around.

Not Haas, but I picked up 3 similar (and really delicious) ones at the local PX Mart last Thursday. Finally ripened and had 2 last night.

I was in the same PX Mart a couple hours ago, though, and the avocado basket is empty. That’s not to say they’re stocked out; my local often doesn’t stock bread, some veg, even some meats until after 4pm (for reasons I don’t understand). When I was there today they were just stocking the milk aisle.

Wish I’d picked up another green 1-2 avocados last Thursday, though. I’m hearing rumors that California avocados may become scarce soon.

The Hass here are all from south America.

I didn’t know that. Actually, I was in Costco a couple weeks ago and those were California.

Yeah, I was briefly concerned when I couldn’t initially find the whisky today, but they’ve actually got a whole new whisky aisle instead. And they do that weird thing of having some cereals in the import area, other cereals on the 2nd floor, and who knows, if there’s some kind of a promotion, let’s put more cereals in an entirely different corner! So maybe the avocados I wanted were with the toilet paper or something.

Terminology: I may be misusing the name Haas avocado. I just mean the smaller ones, usually from New Zealand or California here I think (oh, South America?!), as opposed to the local big ones.

PXMart stocking is weird. I haven’t yet figured out if there’s a pattern for the approximately two days a week my local branch stocks the soy milk I prefer. Or what was going on that one time, and one time only, they had boxes of baby spinach.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the Dickus is no longer a member at Costco on account of a credit card dispute. I’m pretty sure that Hass are from south American countries elsewhere. I’ll pop down Wellcome later and check. I could be wrong.

If they are from Nicaragua, they must be delicious. Lately they are bringing Guatemalan, but AFAIK it is frozen.

What dispute was it.?

I used to think Taiwanese avocados were bad because they aren’t as fatty. They are the same a Florida avocados. Out of desperation, I bought one for guacamole and it was really good and much better than the rocks they import here. I don’t know how to tell when they are ready to eat. I’ve bought some frozen pieces at Costco and they are so-so. Give them a quick rinse to get some of the citric acid off of them before letting them thaw for guac or use in smoothies with a little cocoa powder.

2 Likes

They changed their bank, so I was embarrassed at the cashier. After both visa and Amex were refused I became emotional.