All about your plants

It’s one reason why I want to make a fern garden. Also ferns are just so damn cool.

1 Like

Do you have a friend or family member who could come by and water your plants every few days if it doesn’t rain for a while?

I have no friends and wife’s family lives in a different city. The snakies won’t get water even if it does rains. My balcony is covered in a way that only a windy typhoon would do the trick.

What in Spanish we know as culantro and they like to eat here with ice cream and peanut powder, or soup. I hate paying 100 NTD when you find it, if you find it.

2 Likes

do you have rooftop access?

I left mine out for almost as long, unattended, and they survived. Left some indoors too. All fine. The difference… it was during winter

1 Like

I’m struggling a bit here too - in the UK I used to grow micro-greens under lights indoors. Here I’m eating micro greens 'cos I can’t get the buggers to get too big.

So how’s your collection going buddy? I’ve had a few die-offs but all part of the learning curve.

Also found my first slug which I gleefully placed near a birds nest that’s very close to us and the resident is quite tolerant of me.

My collection is doing pretty well, I am quite surprised, in fact.

Only problem I am having is my snake plants are stagnant. They just don’t grow. They are in a constant hibernating state, looking cute and young and avoiding any grown up responsibility (isn’t that relatable? :joy:) I’ve given them plenty of light to see if this will change but no change until now.

Are plant serial killers welcome in this thread?

All I can grow in this place are mother in law’s tongues and peace lillies. I even killed mint on my balcony, which normally grows like a weed.

2 Likes

I personally don’t have any snake plants (yet) but whenever I notice a plant stop growing I first check and see if the roots are getting too crowded in the pot. It they are, I rehome the plant to a bigger pot. If the roots aren’t the issue, I add a scoop of fertilizer.

2 Likes

We can take care of you lol. Welcome to the thread! Killing mint happens if you don’t water it. Mint is always thirsty. But killing a ZZ plant takes a special set of skills.

1 Like

Great tips, roots bounded are always growing issue but mine are fine, I guess I need to feed them now in the growing season.

1 Like

Absolutely not!!

Tip: water your plants in the early morning before you head off to work for best results. Evening is okay but not ideal. They tend to prefer breakfast as the main meal.

4 Likes

This is EXACTLY where I have been going wrong.

#CasuallyShowsOffJediSkills

3 Likes

2 Likes

@Hanna nailed it. And misting shouldn’t be any time after noon. Noon is already pushing it you want them to love you back

1 Like

I have royalty butterfly visits daily too. Very exquisite colors. And some birds come to eat my tomato leaves :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes