All our yesterdays: nostalgia

4 Likes
3 Likes

That’s pretty interesting, because it explains how we managed to create a society where you need $1000 worth of advanced technology to do something that our grandparents would have done in less time with a pencil and paper.

That’s a pretty slow elevator. :2cents:

But this is my favorite part:

1 Like

Spent the last decade writing financial reports, and I didn’t know you could do any of that in Excel.

4 Likes

images (13)

1 Like

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

9 Likes

Dunno about baby boomers. All of these extended well into GenX and possibly Millennials. Taking pictures every day didn’t become that normal until around 2000, or whenever it was digital cameras became common - or arguably until smartphones were everywhere.

Isn’t rolling your eyes still considered talking back? Am I that out of touch?

2 Likes

I still remember a time when cameras took film and so taking pictures was expensive. Worst of all is you had no idea how the picture came out until you developed it, after all your camera setting could be completely shit and the picture is a blurry mess rather than a picture. They had some insane engineering that went into consumer point and shoot cameras so that even an idiot could take ok pictures (we called them idiot camera).

3 Likes

Dang I’m so old I forgot there might be other similar threads

And I remember memorizing so many different telephone numbers of my friends. And I can still remember my old phone number where I grew up. 587-8751.

3 Likes

I remember 867-5309

6 Likes

Some of my friends’ old numbers from the 1980s are still in my head. Same with high school locker combinations. My wife’s phone number now? Nope! My phone number now? Barely.

4 Likes

I know these two numbers. My wife’s because she’s a member at about every place and her cell phone number is used for the memberships. When I pay for something and they ask me if I’m a member, I ask them to try my wife’s number and sure enough, she’s a member just about every time. My number because I need it when making restaurant reservations. I honestly think those are the only two numbers I know by heart now.

4 Likes

Yup, that and when buying stuff are the reinforcement I get for it.

I’m not sure I’d even say I “know” the number. I know the string of Chinese. If I want to write down the number, I have to sound out the Chinese and write down the digits.

2 Likes

This is exactly my situation. I think the two numbers I know in Mandarin and will pause if I have to say them in English because I’m translating!

1 Like