All the recent foreigner drug busts

wow…are they occuring more often or just being publicized more? what happend to the to the other teachers down south (I mean the 8 or so that weren’t chaged for trafficing and cultivation)?..was it a situation like korea where friends ratted on friends for using marijuana, they all got tested and charged with possesion simply for failing the drug tests?..this really happens in Taiwan?..Growing plants and dealing coke is a little more understandable, but i’m surprised Taiwan police will drag in a foreigner suspected only of personal consumption of marijuana based on a tip-off…and then to follow through with a drug test and charges for failing?..i think these teachers must have been more than personal users…

I have to ask this question, does every ESL teacher take drugs??

Not me. I haven’t taken any drugs today. I’ve drank a bottle of Scotch, though. But that’s socially acceptable. Oh, but I don’t really qualify, because I’m not an ESL teacher, merely EFL.

I had a binlang shaped like a pair of breasts once.

Athough unpopular a concept it seems to be among the furriner (perhaps especially the engrish teachers) crowd, drugs are not tolerated in Taiwan. Not even for the occasional user. Maryjane is simply not acceptable full stop. Nor barbiturate abuse, nor xstasy, nor any other of those “party” drugs.

Chances are more then good that you will be ratted out by a coworker, “friend” or anyone else if you are an user.

A great philosopher once wrote, “Naughty, naughty…very naughty” !!!

A gentleman of leisure, he’s there for your pleasure
But go easy on old 'Eezer, he’s the love you could lose
Extraordinary fella, like Mister Punchinella
He’s the kind of geezer who must never be abused.

youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=e … 0Mzr_A-Q0I

Swimming in Sun Moon Lake is also prohibited…camping in nature as well, 'cuz nobody does it…so basically, anything that might be fun to do is prohibited (they should just prohibit anything ‘fun’)…however, we are all encouraged to hit the local dirty KTV and spend the night in the adjacent motel or to throw our garbage out the car window and triple park…everybody does that!

If everyone does it…it’s ok

If no one does it…it’s prohibited

1 Like

[quote=“tommy525”]Athough unpopular a concept it seems to be among the furriner (perhaps especially the engrish teachers) crowd, drugs are not tolerated in Taiwan. Not even for the occasional user. Maryjane is simply not acceptable full stop. Nor barbiturate abuse, nor xstasy, nor any other of those “party” drugs.

Chances are more then good that you will be ratted out by a coworker, “friend” or anyone else if you are an user.[/quote]
I’m sorry, that’s just not true. Chances are more than good that you will continue to be able to indulge in your vices. I’m not saying that’s a good thing or a bad thing, but that’s the way it is.

So the answer is yes then??

There’s around, what? 8,000 or so EFL teachers here, according to Scott Sommers’ stats. How many are in the news for drug use?
That should answer your question.

There’s around, what? 8,000 or so EFL teachers here, according to Scott Sommers’ stats. How many are in the news for drug use?
That should answer your question.[/quote]
Really? That few? Thought there were a shitload more.

Just cos they’re not caught doesn’t mean they’re not doing it.

Now seriously I know it’s a broad stupid sterotypical question, but really… even the ex-pats I bumped into in Taiwan were talking about “scoring some weed later”, is there any way to escape this?? Or am I the only one in my generation who actually doesn’t want to get high all the time??

[quote=“SerpentChina”]Just cos they’re not caught doesn’t mean they’re not doing it.

Now seriously I know it’s a broad stupid sterotypical question, but really… even the ex-pats I bumped into in Taiwan were talking about “scoring some weed later”, is there any way to escape this?? Or am I the only one in my generation who actually doesn’t want to get high all the time??[/quote]
Urm, dude, you don’t like it, don’t smoke it. I have friends that like the occasional toke. Doesn’t bother me. Makes it easier for me to beat them at poker and paper/scissors/stone. Even when I’m drunk.

Is jy 'n polisieman of wat?

Of course not.

[quote=“SerpentChina”]Just cos they’re not caught doesn’t mean they’re not doing it.

Now seriously I know it’s a broad stupid sterotypical question, but really… even the ex-pats I bumped into in Taiwan were talking about “scoring some weed later”, is there any way to escape this?[/quote]

Yes.

Don’t go to pubs.

Avoid people who don’t do activities without involving toking up or just go with them and don’t take part in their communal smoking.

:slight_smile: Hey now, I think you misunderstand, I personally don’t like drugs because they’ve really fucked up some of my childhood friends’ lives, but I’m not against people’s personal choice if they want to smoke or whatever, fine… it’s just I’m here sitting in China in a pub / restaurant / park / where ever having a beer surrounded by strangers (who probably can’t speak English but you never know) and inevitably if there’s an ESL teacher at the table he’ll blurt out something like “I could really do with a toke/spliff/line/insert dope or drug related banter here” and it just pisses me off, suddenly I’m now associated with drugs in a country that is very harsh on the drug subject… I mean common sense people, I don’t go to Israel (or New York) and crack Jew jokes in public just because they probably don’t understand English.

:eh:
How is this even remotely related to the topic at hand? Are you equating dope smokers with Jew-baiters, or a draconian regime with the those New Yorkers of Hebrew descent?

Any links to this news story? I’m not sure what you’re referring to; I assume you’re not talking about the Lugang fellow that’s already the subject of a 23 page thread.

It sounds like you’re talking about a big group in the south, and, well, I used to know a bunch of the football players in Tainan… but that was a long time ago, and I’m not sure how the scene may have changed.

So you’re taking a drug but don’t want to be associated with other people who also take drugs? :smiley:

I’d say I know a lot more people in Taiwan who don’t use illegal drugs than those who do. I can’t remember ever encountering anyone here who was using illegal drugs or who was talking about using illegal drugs in Taiwan. Sure, I’ve heard stories about people, but there’s a huge mythology of it here. It’s far less prevalent than in many other places. I actually think there are a lot of really conservative foreigners here, more than many people realise.