All the recent foreigner drug busts

I do not know what a single plant yields or how do law enforcement calculate them, but like I said most countries treat a certain amount over a threshold as intent to distribute regardless of the actual reason. So I think something fishy is going on. Someone bribed the prosecutor perhaps? It’s not out of the question by the way. Someone with the resources to grow that much has some cash.

Nobody said that he wasn’t selling (except the seller).

Maybe leniency also has to do with one’s family circumstances. Forand was single with no dependents and got like a 15 year sentence. Zain Dean (non drug related) fought the system, launched an appeal, fled illegally with another’s passport and has no kids right?

This person, from my understanding, has a wife and kids (remember hearing this in one of the old press reports). That fact combined with his apology and a good lawyer probably resulted in a shorter than normal sentence.

[quote=“ChewDawg”]Maybe leniency also has to do with one’s family circumstances. Forand was single with no dependents and got like a 15 year sentence. Zain Dean (non drug related) fought the system, launched an appeal, fled illegally with another’s passport and has no kids right?

This person, from my understanding, has a wife and kids (remember hearing this in one of the old press reports). That fact combined with his apology and a good lawyer probably resulted in a shorter than normal sentence.[/quote]

they go light on Americans here. Don’t want to take too much freedom from those who gave the ROC its freedom.

I like the guy’s Linked In profile–poetry, cooking and GARDENING are some of his top skills.

Maybe if they decided to cut off fingers instead of years in prison, people would actually start obeying the laws. I remember back in junior high, some ignorant American kid spit his gum out on the street in Singapore–something we do without any sense of guilt or remorse. He got arrested and he was sentenced to public paddling. Apparently it was a big enough deal that President Clinton stepped in and tried to reason with the Singapore government.

Its easy. Just follow the rules if you’re in someone else’s backyard. If you don’t like the rules or if you don’t think the rules seem fair, go back home.

[quote=“Leftywang81”]Maybe if they decided to cut off fingers instead of years in prison, people would actually start obeying the laws. I remember back in junior high, some ignorant American kid spit his gum out on the street in Singapore–something we do without any sense of guilt or remorse. He got arrested and he was sentenced to public paddling. Apparently it was a big enough deal that President Clinton stepped in and tried to reason with the Singapore government.

Its easy. Just follow the rules if you’re in someone else’s backyard. If you don’t like the rules or if you don’t think the rules seem fair, go back home.[/quote]

Maybe if they cut your fingers off you wouldn’t post such twatwaddle.

Not sure what’s funnier, his skill set or him actually having a linked in profile :slight_smile:

He could put his skills to good use in Oakland, CA. when he gets out.

Will he face the mandatory deportation when he is released, or because he has a wife and a child, be allowed to stay?

If he stays, will he have a criminal record that would bar him from many types of jobs, or does Taiwan not check or care about such things?

I don’t even know if they do… I mean legally he would be barred for 10 years but other than that, who knows. It ain’t the USA for sure!

[quote=“Captain Stag”][quote=“tommy525”]Athough unpopular a concept it seems to be among the foreigner (perhaps especially the engrish teachers) crowd, drugs are not tolerated in Taiwan. Not even for the occasional user. Maryjane is simply not acceptable full stop. Nor barbiturate abuse, nor xstasy, nor any other of those “party” drugs.

Chances are more then good that you will be ratted out by a coworker, “friend” or anyone else if you are an user.[/quote]

Swimming in Sun Moon Lake is also prohibited…camping in nature as well, 'cuz nobody does it…so basically, anything that might be fun to do is prohibited (they should just prohibit anything ‘fun’)…however, we are all encouraged to hit the local dirty KTV and spend the night in the adjacent motel or to throw our garbage out the car window and triple park…everybody does that!

If everyone does it…it’s ok

If no one does it…it’s prohibited[/quote]
I thought this is something one figures out within 6 months of living here. On a related note “everything that is not explicitly allowed is forbidden” also applies to Taiwan. Anyone with any authority will always answer “no” to the question “is ‘this’ allowed?” if they don’t know.

Just to put things into perspective:

[quote]Beijing, Aug. 18 (CNA) Chinese TV reported Monday that police seized more than 100 grams of marijuana on Aug. 14 at the house of Hong Kong actor Jacee Chan, along with whom Taiwanese actor Kai Ko (Ko Chen-tung) was detained in eastern Beijing.

The report said the two have admitted to using marijuana, but added that Chan was being kept under “criminal detention” on suspicion of “allowing others to use drugs in his house,” while Ko was put under “administrative detention” on lesser charges.

Media in Beijing and Hong Kong have reported that Ko and Jacee Chan, the actor son of movie star Jacky Chan, have been held in detention since Aug. 12.
[/quote]

And the comments on FB are like “tell that idiot not to come back”. The most charitable ones.

It’s news worthy only because he’s Jacky Chen’s son.

But then, what’s ironic is that they were hired as spokesmen for anti-drugs (or anti-substance abuse) ads in Taiwan. So was Jacky Chen. Makes me wonder who and why picked them in the first place.

[quote=“sofun”]It’s news worthy only because he’s Jacky Chen’s son.

But then, what’s ironic is that they were hired as spokesmen for anti-drugs (or anti-substance abuse) ads in Taiwan. So was Jacky Chen. Makes me wonder who and why picked them in the first place.[/quote]

Eh, the one making most of the local news is a Taiwanese guy, an actor surnamed Ko. He is Jacee Chen’s friend. They got caught in Jacky Chen’s Beijing apartment with the stash, Ko was using, Chen was “storing”. When news first broke, no mention was done of Jacee’s involvement. Then it all busted out. Remember Jacky is not hat very well liked in Taiwan.

Funny though the “storing” guy will get a harsher penalty than the using guy.

As to whom picked them up, well, they are famous. Which is also why we’ll be fed a steady diet of this saga for the coming days. They already dragged Chen’s name well, under the mud. And even though I am totally anti drugs, having relatives died from them, heck I cannot help but be disgusted by the level of ignorance spewed in local media. Makes your hair stand in punk spikes.

Our nightly prayers should be: may I never fall in the hands of the media!

[quote=“Icon”]Just to put things into perspective:

[quote]Beijing, Aug. 18 (CNA) Chinese TV reported Monday that police seized more than 100 grams of marijuana on Aug. 14 at the house of Hong Kong actor Jacee Chan, along with whom Taiwanese actor Kai Ko (Ko Chen-tung) was detained in eastern Beijing.

The report said the two have admitted to using marijuana, but added that Chan was being kept under “criminal detention” on suspicion of “allowing others to use drugs in his house,” while Ko was put under “administrative detention” on lesser charges.

Media in Beijing and Hong Kong have reported that Ko and Jacee Chan, the actor son of movie star Jacky Chan, have been held in detention since Aug. 12.
[/quote]

And the comments on FB are like “tell that idiot not to come back”. The most charitable ones.[/quote]

I wonder if Chinese messageboards have lumped all TWese behavior as one and want all TWese out of the mainland because of this. “Send those arrogant, ungrateful big penised TWese home, they just sleep with our women and do as they please!”

Er, no. Taiwanese penises belong to China and will be taken by force if they attempt to declare independence. You are hurting the feeling of the Chinese people, splittist. :cactus:

Huge bust in Oz.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … pment.html

[quote=“ChewDawg”]Huge bust in Oz.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … pment.html[/quote]

I hear they’re claiming its for personal use. :sunglasses:

Big drug bust in Taoyuan a month ago. First time I’ve heard of a Swede being busted in Taiwan :laughing:

etaiwannews.com/etn/news_con … id=2676224