Alleged racism in Taiwan's immigration system (2019 edition)

Okay it says spouses. I got confused.

Still referring to them as 'not foreigners ’ and a special category is bloody annoying .

1 Like

That is because there is just one China. I think ethnicity is not a big matter.

It’s a really big matter when they use it against you.

1 Like

if taiwan refers mainland Chinese as foreigners, that must causes huge problems.

Taiwan and the ROC carries huge historical baggage.

My mom’s passport in the 1980s had her birthplace as “China” while her passport in the early 2000s had it switched to “Taiwan”

1 Like

An acquaintance was denied nationality here recently. College educated, 20+ years here, 2 kids, Taiwanese hubby died a few years ago, so NIA cut her JFVR visa from 3 years to one. The problem? Like me, she cannot give up her nationality. She presented paperwork from the office in Taiwan like Japanese and everyone else do, that you try to give up but they won´t let you. They told her she has to go home to get the same paper IN PERSON in her own country. Anyways, the clerk allegedly said, she should marry again, then she would get nationality. :wall::noway:

Hence, when the last kid hits 18, it is out of The Island.

I am really puzzled about what is wrong with us Latinas getting a pinche ROC passport or even permanent residence. Not enough money? We do not speak English? Is it because we married the Taiwanese guy the clerks wanted for themselves?

If I tell thsi tale to a Taiwanese, they claim that every other country does the same. Seriously? Separating parents and children without at least some backlash in the press? Gee, how nice, to be legally married and have no right to stay and fight for your kid.

3 Likes

That whole situation is really messed up. Sounds like the basis for a lawsuit against the NIA.

4 Likes

I told her that, to get the name of the clerk. We are taking this to a woman´s alliance. It is quite offensive.

Whenever I see one of those super duper furriners who get their passports because they are hot on YouTube, my heart aches for my fellow Latinas who were kicked to the curb because the hubby here could not handle the pressure of being an adult, and given the recourse of welcoming arms of mommy and daddy, left his family on the street.

Look, I got that other acquaintance just divorced, 0 money, no college, 3 kids. Now that is a candidate to marry again -sarcastic ROLF- because she has little alternative to stay here. Hubby is a deadbeat who won´t give a cent and threatens daily to take teh kids away, just as he did parade his mistress in front of her when they were married. Yet she is working two jobs, asking for help when needed and moving on.

BTW, yes, we are collecting donations of clothes and shoes and toys for the kids. That bad. But hay que echar pa´lante.

1 Like

Yes, this is what I was thinking. And maybe Legal Aid Foundation?

1 Like

It is ironic that in a place that persecutes false marriages, an employee actually “jokes” about marriage of convenience. I mean, this person took care of her husband in his deathbed, stayed with him as per her vows till death do us part, and they cut off her ties?!

I am trying to think what kind of reform is necessary so that women who are married to taiwanese can be more protected. SEA brides have power in numbers now, with vote power, but what about the others?

1 Like

What happened to her doesn’t sound legal, so maybe a successful court case will prevent it from happening in the future.

3 Likes

I thought that a Taiwanese that gets an American passport is not allowed to keep the R.O.C. one , but they keep it just because they got the R.O.C. one first so the R.O.C . government doesn’t know. If they knew it then they’d be required to.choose only one , is that correct ?

This could be wrong: I think TW allows dual citizenship except with PRC. The ROC passport might be revoked during the process of getting your USA citizenship if you lose (temporarily) your household registration for staying away too long.

The ROC makes a fuss if the double passport holders are working in the government/elected officials. the rest, carry on…

1 Like

In theory though it’s not allowed right ?

We have plenty of stuff, let me know what the age of the kids is and if they need anything now.

2 Likes

In theory, supposedly, allegedly, might not, as per the letter of the Law.

is it an official reasoning from MOI, or the clerk said?

That si what I told her, that there is nothing written that says so. But the clerk insisted and was backed up by her superiors, so… whatever they say to say no.

I mean, if they had said the document was not right or not enough, but that the person had to go back to get it… makes no sense, right? I have never seen any such provision.

This is another one of those bullshit “administrative rules” that needs a legal challenge. And maybe another purge of xenophobic bigots in the NIA.

1 Like