Alleged racism in Taiwan's immigration system (2019 edition)

I would ask to the MOI head office, what is the official requirement.

It is time for Taiwan to grow up and become more American. As America is respected and thought well of in Taiwan and actually without Uncle Sam there is no Taiwan as we know it.

So stop shitting about and make things right. Allow birthright citizenship. All those born on Taiwan can claim citizenship. No Roc passport without right of abode and all that nonsense. And give people green card if they qualify to work in Taiwan and not restricted to a certain company. After five years allow them to apply for citizenship. Any person born of at least one Taiwanese citizen should be allowed citizenship regardless of whether they have other citizenships. The USA does not discriminate in that regard. One can hold US citizenship and hold citizenship in another country simultaneously.

Taiwan needs to emulate the US more in the area of human rights and rights of citizenship and abode.

1 Like

this is more than US does.

IM no immi attorney but far as i know if you get a green card you can work any job and you can apply for citizenship after X years. 3 years for a spouse and 5 years if you got your green card through employment is my understanding.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this has been massively abused in the U.S. I support birthright citizenship, but only if at least one of the parents is a legal long-term resident.

3 Likes

Yes i agree with that and notice you said legal resident and not citizen.

Yes, I think that’s a reasonable condition. But if you’re in the country illegally or not even a resident? No way.

2 Likes

with the exception of people with PRC citizenship and people born with taiwanese mother and foreign father before 1980, it is almost so.

Dual citizenship of PRC and ROC may be a highly political issue, I think.

if you get APRC, you can do any job with few exceptions.

If you are on ARC throug marriage or white collar work, you can apply for citizenship after 3 years for a spouse and 5 years through work, without APRC.

Problem is many Taiwanese partners lie to their spouses. They do not disclose full information when they come here and the spouse comes here practically blindfolded, without knowing what is expected or required. The language barrier is unsurmountable when you need your husband or his family to enroll in classes. Or when you do not know if taxes are paid and under whose name. So they are married without rights and then have to fight nail and tooth for residency on their own, when the manure hits the fan, and nationality becomes a nightmare…

There is little information on the rights of foreign spouses. Most spouses do not know the procedures at NIA and hence, in the usual confusion of one officer tells you this and the other that, they do not knwo where to turn and give up, which si the ultimate goal. Are housewives such a repugnant commodity that once they breed they are kicked out? If the wife was so attractive abroad, why is she a nuisance here?

She should visit LAF, as cow said. It could be an easy case for them.

Like being almost alive when you’re dead.

What’s with defending the shit system all the time ?

Could it be because you are Taiwanese ?
Knee jerk reaction ?

It’s not.

Yes, this is unfortunate. And it’s why people can’t just allow themselves to become passive victims. They need to be proactive in understanding and taking advantage of the laws that are on the books to protect them.

I think I clearly mentioned already that the discrimination toward the people with taiwanese mother and foreign father before 1980 should be corrected.

Considering the relationship between PRC and ROC, it is understandable that taiwan doesn’t allow dual citizenship of the two Chinas.

this is more than US does.

give people green card if they qualify to work in Taiwan

This is what tommy said. I qualify to work in the US, and worked there, but they didn’t give me a green card.

if you are asking if I’m taiwanese as some people asked me, no.

Indeed. I guess that they assume the laws here cannot be worse than in our countries, which are seriously low in that regard. Yet, we do not leave spouses, women, and in particular foreign spouses in such defenseless position.

It also becomes overwhelming, fighting the whole way, not understanding the language and the way things are done, being mocked or looked down, with all the stereotypes about Latinas here. It is too much and people give up becaus ethey have no support network. SEA spouses do have a support network more or less organized, even caregivers and foreign laborers. Of course it could be better but it is differnet if you meet someone in teh park who is on teh same boat rather than being the only one miles around with no language skills and no support from family or spouse, but burdened with a job and child raising.

3 Likes

This is actually what Tommy said.

And give people green card if they qualify to work in Taiwan and not restricted to a certain company. After five years allow them to apply for citizenship

Now MOST foreign workers in Taiwan are expressly excludsed from the labour law and applying for permanent residency, let alone citizenship.

White collars and spouses can apply after a certain amount of residency but there are so many roadblocks and extra requirements put into the process (especially unfair requirement to give up original citizenship and extra residency requirement AFTER becoming a national ) that many cannot get citizenship in reality.

1 Like

And, here is my reply on that issue.

Applying and getting citizenship are two different things, especially if the application process is bollocks.

foreign factory workers are subject of labour laws.

And most of foreign workers in Taiwan would get H2 visa in the US, which would not allow them to apply for green card, unless they find other reasons to stay.

Sounds like it may be time for a certain Latina to start a Latina alliance.

2 Likes