Alleycat's - the "chat" thread (Part 1)

Alleycat’s big project is in a word Alleycat’s.

Alleycat’s is Taipei’s latest Western restaurant. However, and this is a huge however, unlike most establishments, you will not be disappointed by sub-standard ingredients, atrocious service, and poor excuses for Western dishes. I’ll be doing ALL of the cooking, using imported ingedients whenever recipes call for them. I’ll be hiring wait staff unafraid of foreigners and being rewarded for their work, and I promise dishes geared towards the Western palate.

To test me on this, please come to our opening night (more on this later) on January 31, or anytime thereafter.

Our opening night will be an all-you-can-eat-all you-can-drink feast of mouth-watering starters, pizza, salads, baked pastas (I know what you’re thinking but please don’t be afraid: Macaroni and Cheese is one of my specialities), and simple, yet delicious, desserts.

I’ll post a menu and address shortly.

Please do support us, as Alleycat’s is aimed only at the following demographic: Foreigners, and only locals who enjoy Western food as it should be.

Cool, looking forward to it. Any chance of a bit of back yard cricket in the back lane after the pizza’s been washed down?

Address please…

maybe I can be your supplier for shopping for Western Food :wink:

I wish I can go… best of Luck AlLeYcAt!

Good luck Alleycat, I’ll be there.

Will you be doing chips ?

You’ll need extra security for that.

If you promise your wait staff won’t say “Sorry” every time they put a dish on the table, I’ll eat there every day. :wink:

Well done Alleycat!
You often meet foreigners here who talk big about projects that never materialize.
I like your philosophy about the food you will serve; I just worry that many of us old timers have been here too long and that our taste buds have been corrupted. You will have corn soup, won’t you? :wink:

By Western food I assume you mean Velveeta/ham sushi, pizza with corn, tuna and peas on it and iced beer, right? :wink:
:laughing:

Wow Cool! :smiley: I’ll definitely come check it out sometime.

I’ll go if there’s one of those forms for ordering at restaurants in Taiwan. I can’t read Chinese so they are of little use to me. But of course, yours can be in English, not in Chinese.

Tips for my undying allegiance:
bottomless coffee with breakfast, and no vegetable oil creamers - milk will do just fine.
toast that is made from real bread and isn’t limp when served.
food that arrives on the table at the temperature it was meant to be served.
And anything Lori said here about service… :sunglasses:

Alleycat’s Website will be up tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the kind words.

out of curiosity, when they say sorry, do they actually want/mean to say “excuse me” as they are putting down a dish? (but since in chinese it’s the same expression…)

alleycat, sounds very good. wish you all the best. can’t wait to try some good hash browns if you’ve got any. or maybe a moons over hammy sandwich a la Denny’s style!

awesome and a great name too!

Hallelujah. I have found only one decent pizza joint in Taipei, and one passable Italian food restaurant, and believe me, I’ve looked.

Alleycat described to me the unique stone pizza oven he’s developed for his retaurant, and some of the special thing’s he’s going to do to make a great pizza. My mouth was watering, and I wasn’t even hungry.

Best wishes mate. A healthy portion of my Western food budget will be going your way after January 31.

T.

Congratulations, Alleycat!

Opening up a restaurant or bar and making money out of it must be every person’s perfect dream!
How many times I’ve been thinking I should take classes in making gelato or coffee or authentic Italian food, throw my steady job away, and invest all my limited nest eggs in a place of my own!

I will be visiting Alleycat’s new place, though not on opening night. I’m a bit past the all-you-can-eat phase, because I’m worried an emergency visit to the hospital would follow if the food is too good.

But later in February, on a normal day, for a better-than-normal meal, any time!

The all-you-can-eat bit is to give everyone a chance to sample the whole menu, in the hope that they will come back for more and spread the word. NT$250 for this and drinks is a steal ain’t it.

:slight_smile:

on the side note, alleycat, was this the reason why you were looking for chinese translation for Alleycat???

[quote=“Tomas”]Hallelujah. I have found only one decent pizza joint in Taipei, and one passable Italian food restaurant, and believe me, I’ve looked.

Alleycat described to me the unique stone pizza oven he’s developed for his retaurant, and some of the special thing’s he’s going to do to make a great pizza. My mouth was watering, and I wasn’t even hungry.

Best wishes mate. A healthy portion of my Western food budget will be going your way after January 31.

T.[/quote]

Not to steal Alleycat’s thunder, but I’m curious as to what are the other places you’ve discovered? I’m still looking for decent Pizza.

Alleycat, based on the description, you’ve definitely got a repeat customer! :smiley: