Alleycat's - the "chat" thread (Part 2)

I’m quite certain that there are very few digestive tracts in Taiwan that are as wimpy as mine, and I have enjoyed Alley Cat’s pizza on several occassions… and I have had not a single problem.

:laughing: :notworthy:

That’s a first! Next, I’ll have people offering me the disabled seats on buses!

We would like to also apologise for the grief your too-big steak & kidney pie caused you. Please, next time you are in, say hello and we will, as compensation be delighted to offer you an absolutely tiny thumb-sized pie on the house. :wink:

As for being ‘staggeringly drunk’ I wasn’t that bad, but nonetheless :blush:

Cheers & Best Regards,

Bohemian Bob
Pretend Manager
Carnegie’s Big Pie Shop

Many people enjoy the freedom of choice and are capable of handling the responsibility that comes with the same.

I haven’t noticed that. Did you not receive service while at Alley Cat’s?

Haven’t noticed that either. But, this is Taiwan… I suppose I wouldn’t be shocked to discover a mosquito, or even two.

Absurd. The cheese is excellent… and as I commented in another thread, I have perhaps the wimpiest of all digestive tracts and yet, after enjoying several of Alley Cat’s pizzas and his mozzarella and tomato salad, haven’t had any problems whatsoever.

You were ignored?

No, you stated as a fact that the cheese is substandard. That is a nonsensical and baseless claim. The rest is your opinion, which you are certainly entitled… however, it seems an odd opinion, IMO.

[quote][quote=“terror firmer”]

• Alleycat’s friends are more important than the other customers.[/quote]
    I haven’t noticed that. Did you not receive service while at Alley Cat’s?[/quote]

Please allow me to elaborate. Two of Alleycat’s friends walked in when no tables were available. Alleycat greeted these men by using their first names, this to me implies that, at the very least, they are acquantances of Alleycat. Listening to the conversation, which I could not help, taught me that they are indeed Alleycat’s friends.

Alleycat apologized for the lack of seats, and asked if they could wait at the bar. The two men agreed, at which point Alleycat told them that the first round of Hoegaarten was on the house because they had to wait for a table.
Shortly afterwards, two Taiwanese girls walked in. They too were asked to wait at the bar, only with one difference: Alleycat did not offer them free beers, let alone a glass of water. Favoritism? Of course. Racism? Some would argue so.

Perhaps Alleycat can explain the blatant discrimination that I witnessed on that fateful day.

[quote=“Alien”]The food gets better each time I go there. Last night we had eight people who ate a total of like four calzoni, four pizze, two capresi, a greek salad, brushetta, four bottles of vino, and then i stumbled out in a stupor of cheese and wine completely forgetting to say goodbye to my companions and Alan and Jenny.

Sorry Alan, and thanks for everything! :notworthy:

I had a fantastic time last night at my leaving dinner with my colleagues. Everyone was very impressed, including Closet Queen, with your food, service and atmosphere.

Should Alien have a leaving party there? Hmmm…Alan? Only if everyone I know on forumosa promises to come and wish me good riddance. Including the enigmatic lane119 and wolf reinhold.

:sunglasses:[/quote]

Thanks A.

We had a great time hosting your party and would be delighted, honored even, if you’d like to have your Formosa leaving do here.

:notworthy:

[quote=“terror firmer”][quote][quote=“terror firmer”]

• Alleycat’s friends are more important than the other customers.[/quote]
    I haven’t noticed that. Did you not receive service while at Alley Cat’s?[/quote]

Please allow me to elaborate. Two of Alleycat’s friends walked in when no tables were available. Alleycat greeted these men by using their first names, this to me implies that, at the very least, they are acquantances of Alleycat. Listening to the conversation, which I could not help, taught me that they are indeed Alleycat’s friends.

Alleycat apologized for the lack of seats, and asked if they could wait at the bar. The two men agreed, at which point Alleycat told them that the first round of Hoegaarten was on the house because they had to wait for a table.
Shortly afterwards, two Taiwanese girls walked in. They too were asked to wait at the bar, only with one difference: Alleycat did not offer them free beers, let alone a glass of water. Favoritism? Of course. Racism? Some would argue so.

Perhaps Alleycat can explain the blatant discrimination that I witnessed on that fateful day.[/quote]

Are you nuts? I don’t remember offering free Hoegaardens to anyone. Even if I did, are you trying to tell me how to run my business.

Seeing that you appear to believe pro wrestling is real, I doubt you’d know a good pizza even if you sat on it.

Having set menu pizzas is a great idea.
It costs the owners nothing more then adding to the menu and is good for business on two fronts:
One: Many people, including me, do not always like to make choices.
Two: More importantly, I trust the mangement to have choices with combinations of ingredients that will result in a superior-tasting pizza. Quite frankly, I have no idea what putting one kind of cheese with a different topping will taste like. Do you think the Chinese customers have the foggiest notion what fetta cheese tastes like?
I’d advise having 5 set pizzas of the ones that people seems to like the most (including a veggie one).
Why not?

As far as the detractor, you can’t please everyone. By the way, the ingredients, more or less, are imported and have the same quality as those of any restarant in town.

Mozzies? Well, we are in the subtropics.
Installing a bug zapper in the stairwell is a bad idea, though, it will attract them from the outside and not all of them will go for the light bait – many will sense the humans below…you could be adding to your population.

Better service for “friends”? I think you are confusing the fact that Alan recognizes his friends with a bit of small banter as one would, but that does not mean that he neglects others.

Don’t worry about a few digruntled people; you can do without them.

As far as attending Alien’s going-away party…HA! If I had a dime for every time she has said she is leaving Taiwan I wouldn’t have to work anymore.

I merely posted what I witnessed, there’s no reason to ask me if I’m nuts.

Aah, so you now we’re not sure if we did in fact give out free beers. I couldn’t care less how you run your business, but judging by the way you respond to criticism it seems clear that you’d prefer it if I were to lie and praise your establishment.

Okay, let’s resort to insults when we can’t defend ourselves from dissatisfied customers.

Your last post proves what kind of a person you are, and I applaud you for letting the rest of the forumosans see it! A pat on the back is in order, bravo!

It would have been rude, perhaps, for AC not to greet those whom he knows in such a manner.

If true, it was a business decision.

Why would you jump to such conclusions when you could just as easily have concluded that the first set of customers were frequent customers who AC knows like beer and that the second set were new customers… (it would not be a big stretch to imagine that two Taiwanese girls would not like to have any beer).

Really… why so eager to conclude racism when a simple business decision or act of friendship could just as easily explain what you think you observed?

“Blatent discrimination”? I can assure you that if AC fails to treat his good customers in a slightly favoring way, they will feel slighted. As long as AC treats all of his customers fairly and at a proper standard, he should be entitled to discriminate favorably to anyone he desires.

Have you never heard of or seen this concept in other businesses? Gold cards, Platinum cards? VIP cards?

This is a non-issue, IMO.

Terror dude seems to be getting an enormous amount of mileage out of his experience. You should go there more often for the “bad” service. Think of all the interesting things you could add to your posts.

I merely posted what I witnessed, there’s no reason to ask me if I’m nuts.

Aah, so you now we’re not sure if we did in fact give out free beers. I couldn’t care less how you run your business, but judging by the way you respond to criticism it seems clear that you’d prefer it if I were to lie and praise your establishment.

Okay, let’s resort to insults when we can’t defend ourselves from dissatisfied customers.

Your last post proves what kind of a person you are, and I applaud you for letting the rest of the forumosans see it! A pat on the back is in order, bravo![/quote]

:snore:

Truth be told, I handled your initial “review” cordially. And even though I offered you recompense you continue harping on about your supposed bad experience. Frankly, I’m a little tired of you slagging off my business with such unabased nonsense.

Still, the offer of a free pizza stands. Continue on this path, however, and I can assure you you will exactly no friends here or anywhere else for that matter.

Terror Firmer just PM’d me, saying that he’s a little embarrassed about this whole thing and he feels uncomfortable about meeting you face to face. He suggested that you give me the free pizza, and I can then deliver it to him. :sunglasses:

Goddam, this whole thing is ridiculous. Maybe AC owed them some beers, maybe it was his brothers, his business partners… who knows, who cares. Get over it.

And calling someone racist and discriminatory (in the way they conduct business) is almost slanderous.

Gents:

I’m sorry but I promised not to weigh in on anothers thread but the amount of time and effort spent pandering to TF’s complaints are disproportionate. Alleyvcat runs agreat place; his food is good and his service is excellent. His pizzas are the best in Taipei! Terror Firmer’s posts would best be ignored as he has clearly not yet adjusted to life outside of the box he grew up in.

The VAST MAJORITY of people here appreciate Alleycat’s food and service and I for one support his enterprise wholeheartedly.

Alleycat’s is worthy of a visit. I shall return without doubt.

Bob Marshall,
General Manager,
Carnegie’s Taipei Co. Ltd.

Terror firmer, you’re coming off like an idiot. Anyone who knows Alleycat, even casually, is laughing his or her ass off at your ridiculous comments.
He is quite receptive to constructive criticism, but irrational accusations of racism based on such hollow argumentation would piss anyone off. Time to grow up a little bit.

I just can’t understand why anyone would be offended that a restaurant manager or owner gave free beer to people he knew, and not to people he presumably did not know. So what? How can anyone possibly go from that to racism? Heck, he does not know me from Adam, but he gave me and my Taiwanese companion a free order of bruschetta one night because the pizza was taking a little longer than it should have, in his opinion. (I had not complained.)

Right, you’re on. :laughing:

This has to be worth seeing.

I must chip in. My friends and I were rudely served a free appetiser of bread by a smiling Alleycat one night while waiting for our pizzas. What indignation. That we got free bread instead of free garlic bread is blatant racial prejudice, plain and simple.
I’m so mad I will have to go back there again and again to face up to this injustice. Hopefully, I will get the bruschetta.

Alleycat has friends?

Terror Firmer just PM’d me, saying that he’s a little embarrassed about this whole thing and he feels uncomfortable about meeting you face to face. He suggested that you give me the free pizza, and I can then deliver it to him. :sunglasses:[/quote]
Funny, he said the same thing to me too, except I forgot to deliver it. Very nice it was too, but Terror? Its OK, you wouldn’t have liked it anyway.