Am I an overseas Chinese?

BG: I’m a south east asian, never held ROC passport or such (only ARC). Almost half of a decade ago i was enrolled in National Overseas Chinese High School in Banqiao, NTC. The registration was done by then my adoptive grandma which deal with most of the chinese forms. I dont know whether I were listed as OC or just a foreign national.

Now I might enroll in an University at Taiwan but theres some scholarship limited to the foreign student that never held the OC status. I dont know what string were pulled by my grandma so i wish i can check my status online or by coming to an office. (We cut ties with my adoptive grandma years ago so asking her is out of the picture)

Have you gotten in touch with the school? It seems they’d be the ones to know if asking Grandma for forms or info is out of the question…

1 Like

Well, are you ethnically Chinese? That would probably be one of the main determining factors.

And did your grandma or anyone else in your family ever hold ROC citizenship?

1 Like

dont you or your parents remember whether you applied for Overseas Compatriot Identity Certification as an ethnic chinese?

1 Like

Also, if you were here on an ARC, then you weren’t considered an overseas Chinese compatriot.

ARC’s are only issued to foreigners. “Overseas Chinese compatriots” are considered a type of Taiwan citizen, and are issued TARC’s from what I understand.

An ethnic chinese can apply for the certificate to study in Taiwan as an overseas chinese. it is noted on the certificate that they got it as an ethnic chinese, and the certificate cannot be used as a proof of roc nationality.

1 Like

sorry for the super late reply!
Yes im ethically chinese, but all of my grandparents are not Taiwanese (non ROC citizen)

we never had such thing, i think its clear that im not an OC

I would check at the school or OCAC.

If you had the “Overseas Compatriot Identity Certification", it is clear that you were an overseas Chinese student, but I am not sure if you haven’t had it means you were not an OC student. You can be an OC student on ARC without ROC passport or ROC parents/grandparents. “overseas Chinese student” refers to a student of Chinese descent who has come to Taiwan to study. Here is the criteria to be an OC student.

Admission Preliminary Checklist.
2、Overseas Compatriot Identity:
If any of the following requirements are met, you can be recognized as having overseas compatriot identity.
(1)Prove overseas compatriot identity in accordance with local regulations (e.g. ethnicity registration by the local government or ethnicity registration recognized by the OCAC)
(2)Surname: the surname is a common surname used by Overseas Compatriots, not limited to being written in Mandarin, spelled in the local language or Roman alphabet, or English name (such as Jimmy HO).
(3)Language heritage: the family uses Standard Mandarin or other languages commonly used.
(4)Have a blood or cultural link or relevant proof: ancestors can be traced back to Taiwanese or Chinese (including but not limited to Han ), and judgment can be based on the decorations in the family home, religion, worship customs, way of life, or clan association, ancestral records and other relevant proof.

What is the purpose for universities to have this category of students?

1.中華民國政府基於歷史淵源、民族情感、文化因素、憲法 精神和國家整體與長遠發展而制定僑教政策,並秉持「華 僑為革命之母」、「無僑教即無僑務」之理念,推展僑教 政策。
2.僑教政策之目的在於為我國及海外僑社培育兼具中華文化 及國際化背景之華裔專業人才,因此訂定「僑生回國就學 及輔導辦法」,歡迎華裔青年回國升學,學成後返回僑居 地貢獻所學、服務僑社與促進當地經濟發展。
3.僑教工作實施多年成果豐碩,對於僑生堅定認同與協助臺 灣拓展國際空間,更是有目共睹。因此,政府將持續維護 僑教政策之獨特價值與優先位階,秉持照顧僑生之一貫政 策思維,延續僑生各項優惠措施,以表達重視與關懷,進 而帶動國內教育國際化之發展。

or

1. To reinforce the network of overseas compatriot education, and enrich the blueprint for the advocacy of Mandarin language teaching from Taiwan;
  2. To enhance the cultivation and retention of overseas compatriot students, as well as strengthen the recruitment of overseas professional talent for Taiwan;
  3. To promote integration of Taiwanese industries with overseas compatriot businesses, and fortify expansion into the global market;
  4. To gather the abundant vitality of overseas compatriot communities, and expand international support for Taiwan.

it is not just a scholarship. if you were an OC student, you cannot be admitted under the special rules for foreign students. you need to be admitted under the same rules with local students, or as an OC student. if you are accepted to a university as a foreign student, then it is figured out that you were an OC student, your admission would be canceled.

an OC student can be on any of national ID, TARC, or ARC. so, you were on ARC doesdn guarantee you were a foreign student

Which school year was it?

There was no foreign student at the school in SYs 2015-2016, 2017-2018 and 2018-2019, but one in SY 2016-2017. If that was the year you were enrolled and you stayed at the school just for a year or less, it is possible you were the foreign student.

Doesn’t sound like any of this benefits the student. Do they get preferential treatment? Admissions priority? Scholarships?

There are Admissions priority and Scholarships for OC students.
OC students could get work permit when it was not allowed to foreign students, but now they can get it with almost the same condition.
OC students with no Roc documents could get ROC passport after they studied here for a few years, but they cannot anymore.

Wow that was a huge benefit!

I believe 6 or 7 years ago I was enrolled in a language class then 1 year in 高二. After then I come back to my home country to continue my study.

It was recommended to ask the school, which school? nocsh or the uni I’m going to attend? Is there any other way like emailing the Moe or such?

nochs

or ocac
https://www.ocac.gov.tw/OCAC/Eng/Pages/List.aspx?nodeid=1788

if you attended the high school between augst 2017 to july 2019, most probably you were an OC student.

Thank you for the info! I’ll contact them as soon as the weekday starts. Is there any possibility of renouncing the OC status on grounds that I’m not aware of the situation 6-7 years ago?

comferming at them would be the best.

i dont know much of the details, but if you were really an OC student, the cost you studied in Taiwan could be partly supported by ocac. in that case, it might not be able to cancel your “OC student” status. However, you did not graduate, which might give you a different status from you graduated from taiwanese school.

you could ask anything to ocac.

So I have contacted OCAC, they said they have my info.
Their reply:
We use your Old name: OO明 found out your student status information, so you are overseas Compatriot student.

Since its confirmed that i was an OCS, does that mean that i cannot enroll into NCKU as foreign student and reap the benefits? is there any benefit as registered OCS? its said that the tuition fee is cheaper as OCS but usually its fully waivered as a foreign student.