Am I wrong or is the mrs? Naughty Foreigner

White guy took his dog to a flower market and let it run around. He apparently got into an argument with my wife’s friend when she said he should put it on a leash. She recorded him and put the video on facebook. In the video, he is just walking away from her. She wrote that he swore and threatened to kill her, She wrote that he said something about Taiwanese blah blah blah, too.

Now I agreed that he should control his dog, but the other stuff may or may not have happened. We only have her word and that it is not good to post on the www.

So after the friend put it on her Facebook, all her friends (who my wife doesn’t know) start saying racist shit and attacking the white dude and foreigners in general.

This is when my wife and i started arguing. I was like. Your friend and her friends are racists. If i were you, I would call them out or at least instantly block her. Why would you want to be married to a foreigner, but be friends with someone who is involved in these kinds of posts. My wife thinks that i am overreacting.

My opinion is that it’s better to take a step back from it and don’t allow it to ruin your relationship . Prove to them that not all foreigners are asses . Be the nice one . By all means discuss and make your partner aware of the bigotry they portrayed, but your relationship is the key issue … you won’t change some people .

3 Likes

I’d say you’d be right if it was a total stranger but you say she is your wife’s friend, so she can be justified in believing her.
No matter what the white dude did though, blanket statements are inherently racist.

I say friend… defo not close friends. They don’t hang out. I don’t disagree that the white dude with a dog might have said something. I actually don’t care about that part. It was the whole he thinks because he is a foreigner, he can do what he wants with peeps saying F*** O** back home etc. I really cant understand my wife’s attitude. She literally got in an argument with another dude we know when he said Taiwanese cant drive for shit, but in this situation…

Why doesn’t she yell at all the Taiwanese idiots who walk their dogs without leashes, too? Right next to zooming traffic. I see one almost every day and it brings my piss to a boil. You never know what might happen, and all it takes is a moment of distraction for a possibly fatal accident to occur. Makes me want to scoop up their maltese and punt it like a football just to prove a point.

3 Likes

How can you argue with foreigner about not putting dog on leash when I see Taiwanese not doing it at far more than foreigners? Seems this lady is racist to let the hate spread.

1 Like

Yes!!! Weird!! The comments on the video are quite funny at a second read.

This is our turf.

Buy a ticket and go back. Probably can’t afford one.

Is it so hard to comply with Taiwanese law?

And the best one. We are so tolerant of foreigners and this is how they treat us.

White PIG

1 Like

Well, where’s the video?

To me this isn’t about the racism towards foreigners or the issue with people not keeping their dogs on the leash. Your wife didn’t have you back and that’s something that hurts coming from your partner. I think you should explain it that way to her.

4 Likes

Your wife’s friend is a psycho. And if your wife is siding with her that’s not good. She is destroying this dude’s life because he brought a dog to a flower shop? I see Taiwanese with their dogs inside restaurants, groceries stores, McDonalds, etc. all the damn time.

Better watch your step around this social media fascist or you might be the next one shamed on trumped up or imagined charges of doing something wrong. Maybe your wife will even take her friend’s side over you. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

this is just digging yourself, and ourselves into a bigger hole. it means we have to be on our best behavior, then we can be ‘the good foreigners’ but as soon as any of us slip up then its ok to just dump us all into the bad foreigner category. it doesn’t work.

3 Likes

Totally. Of course you need to be a good representative of your country, but if something is clearly unjust or wrong (as this situation is) you can’t roll over and be a “yes massa, whatever you say, massa” type and sell out your fellow expats in order to maintain domestic harmony. When a foreigner is truly an ass or a horrible person, he isn’t let off lightly. That doesn’t seem to be the case here.

If you’re American, post the back of a Mexican or Muslim’s head and make up some stuff and see how many friends and family members you feel like blocking. If you’re not American, it shouldn’t take you long to think of who the local pariahs or scapegoats are. Social media made me lose respect for a lot of people. Once I thought my family raised me not to be racist. Now I think it was TV.

2 Likes

as for the topic at hand… my gf invited me into a facebook group like this. all kinds of gossiping. and yeah if theres some foreigner behaving badly to gossip about you better believe the pitch forks come out. in FORCE.

if i were you i would take a stand on it, its racist straight up. the rule is, ‘when in rome, do as the romans do’ not ‘when in rome don’t do as the romans do for fear of a racist social media backlash’

2 Likes

Social media is one of the greatest catastrophes to happen to the human race in the last few decades.

5 Likes

I don’t let anyone disrespect the people I care about, and I expect the same from them. It’s resonable to find it disrespectful towards you. I think thats a expectation you should have from your wife. I would make that clear, not so much on the issue of if it’s racist or do foreigners or Taiwanese ignore the leash laws more. Just that you found it to be disrespectful towards you, and you think she should have your back because you would have hers.

4 Likes

What @Andrew0409 said, 100%. My wife and I have disagreements, arguments, even fights that last the whole day. But we always have each other’s back. We’ve never taken someone else’s side. We are each other’s greatest advocate.

3 Likes

well they are related. his wife took the friends side, so it means she shares some of the same views. and i am not trying to say anything bad about his wife most taiwanese find it pretty hard to see foreigners point of view. my gf an all, i try to avoid bringing it up, i don’t want to hear ‘you think too much’ or ‘taiwanese treat foriegners so good’ another time.

4 Likes

Which one was it? PM me if you don’t want to post it publicly. I’ve joined a few of these just to keep a finger on the pulse of society, not for whatever people say about foreigners. It bothers me, but I don’t much care.

this one i think.

it really is gossipy trash though, i stopped checking the posts a long time ago.