Am I wrong or is the mrs? Naughty Foreigner

Yes. You’re right. But for me, I sometimes disagree with my girl and even find some of the things she gets angry about silly. But I simply just agree if I can see it’s pissing her off and say “yeah! Fuck that bitch!” And it’s done. It really sounds like the OP wasn’t asking for his wife to make a huge scene of it, just to acknowledge his point of view and simply agree with a few words.

It’s really sad that I’m reminded many times Taiwanese people aren’t able to self reflect and understand other people’s point of view. Im shielded from it because my family is pretty good about it. I have a white uncle and people try to accommodate to him and if someone ask why he’s not doing this or that they would just say of course he’s not expected to do it because it’s not his culture and he is a foreigner. I think people should adapt to the culture of where they are but the people there should also try to understand that a foreigner to a place will have a different culture that can’t just be erased.

Oh, yeah. K-man references that all the time. I think it’s the most popular.

2 Likes

collectivist culture maybe? they take criticism as an insult to all taiwanese. or maybe we just moan too much.

That was my strong impression of people in China (and they’re proud of it) and while I haven’t seen as much of it in Taiwan I’ve seen it.
But my dad got mad if anything bad was said about our village or home region, so everybody is alike all over.

Social media makes mountains out of molehills

2 Likes

yea its definitely on another level over there. the nationalism runs deep!

I don’t think it’s exclusive to Taiwan. I’ve met the same kind of defensive thinking in a few places I’ve lived now to a vetting degrees.

That’s one of the worst sites…

Same thing everywhere, I myself never found taiwan to be particularly bad. Actually, I’d say Taiwan is better than most of east Asia.

Besides, as a white guy you have it pretty good compared to other ethnicities. Try walking trough security as a an Arab or the black guy at the airport without being subjected to a random security check

Try saying the same comments back to her, but change “white guy” to “taiwanese”, and she’ll see how racist it is.

1 Like

But whatabout if I were the Queen of England? She gets loads more privileges than a white guy in Taiwan. Doesn’t even need to go through passport control.

Not sure what your point is.

Just saying that whites in Taiwan in my opinion are not subjected to racism in any meaningful amount , but other ethnicities are

I’m not black or an Arab, so I don’t know if they always get subjected to random security checks in passport control. If they do then that’s wrong. It’s not particularly relevant to the OP’s situation.

OK, I’ll turn it around. What’s your point? The OP should suck it up because other people experience worse? This could apply to almost every situation.

5 Likes
  1. Majority in Taiwan is absolutely no sensitive to racism. They treat southeast Asians so bad. It’s lack of their life education. Parents don’t teach kids about racism or other life skills. It’s only important to study well and have good grades. If you are good student everything is allowed.
  2. Whenever you run into problem like this it always about face. If white guy told her some insults especially mentioning Taiwanese than this girl has to save her face and all Taiwanese. Also her friends have to give her face and support her.
  3. This is collective society where if me and you are starting a fight it’s important how many friends each one has to support him.
  4. Your Taiwanese girlfriend will never think clear who’s right and who’s wrong. It’s all about face.
3 Likes

So, am I missing something, but it wasnt the OP who was subjected to racism but to my understanding some random guy walking his dog. No?

Anyway, there are a lot of jerks out there, no need to get all worked up about it as its not on a level which would be annoying. If you get some occasional dick head shouting racist slurs, so?

The OP is concerned about his wife’s support, or lack of.

If occasional dick heads shouting racial slurs isn’t a problem in your opinion, then this applies to everyone of any skin colour.

1 Like

Yes, of course it would apply to everyone. Kind of weird you have to say that, why would it not apply to everyone in equal measure ?

OK, I understand your position now. Racial slurs are to be ignored.

1 Like

So, no.

My position is that the occasional dickhead shouting racial slurs should be ignored. If society has more than just the occasional dickhead, then perhaps it is something more serious and i would feel differently.

1 Like

Haven’t read through all the posts, but can you comment in your wife’s friend’s feed? If so, why don’t you politely ask people to refrain from the negative/racist comments because it hurts your feelings? I have called people out like this Taiwan and it embarrasses them. I have done it in a joking manner and it worked very, very well. (Like "I am an adoga. I have read through some of these posts and believe it or not, white pigs- or whatever that person said- have feelings too. Please be nice. Not all laowai’s are so rude.) I guarantee the comments will stop and you will come out the winner.

1 Like