Amazon thinks Taiwan is China

No, even the delivery address just uses "TPE, " without a country, and I don’t live in Taipei.

Last I checked, ECMS had no effect on Taiwan’s sovereignty. I’ll take convenience over a nothing burger.

There are much more important battles to fight IMO.

I always contact distributors/companies when I see Taiwan as any part of China. I explain to them that Taiwan has its own currency, military, government, legal system, and since they are shipping a product, postal service. I then go on to explain that while they are kowtowing to the CCP, anything I’ve had addressed to “Taiwan, China” has either been lost in the mail for months or never appeared. On the rare instance that I still do business with them (none of them have ever changed their status on Taiwan), I give the product a 1 start review, stating that, while there was nothing wrong with the product, they play politics with the CCP and therefore do not deserve positive feedback.

3 Likes

Weird.

Yes it does. It normalises China’s claims. I choose to vote with my wallet and not support CCP Boot Lickers. So I stick with DHL.

I’ve had things addressed to China that are severely delayed because they actually went to China.

What kind of battles are more important?

China votes with their feet and wallets, and they have a lot more people. Why can’t we? Don’t support CCP Bootlickers.

The whole point of forcing companies to say Taiwan is China is to change the minds of people ignorant of the issue in western countries so they are less likely to stand up for Taiwan.

2 Likes

Exactly. It’s pointless for individuals here to argue about it. Their own countries agree to all of P-RoC’s claims. (Unless you’re a citizen of some small nation like Palau)

I hope Amazon can expand its online sales offerings and free shipping to Taiwan. I don’t care what address they use - they can even write Taipei, protectorate of CCP for all I care. As long as I can get quality goods from an proper e-commerce where I don’t have to worry about the nonsense like ID string parsing problems! Or in the year 2021, think if my bank card is local enough for it to work!
Absolutely nonsense.

The RoC can stick to its hypocrisy over address.

Unlike you, we’re actually trying to do something about it. Since we come from countries that have democracy, we can think for ourselves and act as individuals while not blindly following the government, unlike China where they are forced to follow the government’s every move.

We prefer not selling out our democracy and ability to speak out against the CCP for expanded access to another unethical and immoral company. In fact, this has to take the cake for the most selfish post I’ve ever seen on the forums. I would be nothing short of embarrassed to express such childish spite.

2 Likes

First time I see “Greater China” huh

Usually it’s just people using the ISO 3166-1 “Taiwan, Province of China”

Smaller companies I have contacted before using this ISO are happy to change the naming to just “Taiwan” after a small explanation.

Before there can be anything done in the bigger scale, there needs to be a normalization of the relationship between UN and Taiwan, which kinda implies a new agreement between PRC and ROC.

Do you forumosans see that happening any time soon?

1 Like

Exactly. A point lost on some people who have this superiority complex and think they’re doing something. When in reality they’re doing exactly 0.

These issues have to be sorted out at official level. Nothing an individual does matters as has been proven time and again. With the mindset that RoC has, it’s not going to be sorted out as it stands. RoC itself doesn’t know what it wants officially.

The UN is nothing more than a club membership full of conflicts of interest. It’s illegitimate.

2 Likes

Yes it does matter. Public opinion matters, and talking about things and educating the public about social issues does produce results. We prefer not rolling over and dying.

Maybe in some other universe. Politicians won’t move if they think that the public is OK with something.

We prefer not rolling over and dying.

1 Like

But you know bigger companies have been coerced, afraid to lose their Chinese customers. They think they can hold onto both. The public should be educated on what they are supporting.

Too often when I mention Taiwan someone shortly afterward remarks how they like Thai food… Apparently your UPS packages do, too!

2 Likes

Hm. At least with the last sentence you are probably wrong.
Or just most people in Taiwan.

Umm no. I’m right.

OK.

I’m not sure that you can just unilaterally declare that the UN is “illegitimate”, Marco.

I mean, you can write it on Forumosa, of course, but it has zero meaning and just makes your other statements look more partisan and less credible, IMO. Especially when what you’re arguing against is much larger entities not supporting the legitimacy of Taiwan, where legitimacy is just determined by the number of people/entities that agree with the thing.

1 Like

What is that number then? Can you define such a number?

Can you define anything objective about the UN? Their ‘international law’ doesn’t have any teeth since they have no enforcement mechanism. UN’s a joke

A ridiculous straw-man point that I won’t even bother addressing. Disappointed - I thought you’d be able to do better than that, lol.

You can read the Wikipedia article on the UN if you want. If you have issues with the UN, that’s fine, but I was responding to what you wrote, which is that the organization is “illegitimate”.

Cause there is no number. There is no agreement as to what constitutes legitimacy. My personal remarks are just as legitimate as any other country’s remarks.

Because the entire thing, including the countries themselves are abitrary creations.

It’s illegitimate in my view and just as arbitrary. That’s my opinion and you have failed to convince me why it is not inherently illegitimate.

Yes, which includes Taiwan. So I’m not sure how that helps your point.

Don’t need to man, and not really trying to. You’re the one claiming that the UN is illegitimate, and the onus is on you to demonstrate that rather than just asserting your personal opinion as a fact.

2 Likes