Amazon thinks Taiwan is China

That is true. But twenty three million people here including ourselves and that includes @DesiInTaipei and yourself come together to participate in the country that is Taiwan. We agree to follow Taiwanese laws. We get Taiwanese visas. We use Taiwanese dollars. We arbitrate in Taiwanese courts. This is far more legitimate than some 190 or so elites from countries just as arbitrary coming together to declare something that clearly objectively exists, does not.

This is why the UN is illegitimate. It is not an objective measure of statehood, but a club membership made of a slim minority of people with silver spoons in their mouths playing make believe.

I don’t think that the UN’s stance is that Taiwan as a place containing 23 million people doesn’t exist, is it? I think it’s that it belongs to, or is part of, something else.

If you want to stay fixated on the numbers, the UN covers far more people than 23 million. You simply don’t get the right to declare it as “illegitimate” because you disagree with some of its policies. It’s meaningless.

The issue of whether a state is going to be widely recognized has always been controversial for obvious reasons. You’re clearly going to have the opinion you have because you live here and are vocal about it. I don’t care all that much about the UN, but I suspect it’s preferable for some kind of international organization like it to exist to facilitate peaceful communication between countries, although that’s not always going to be perfect.

It actually does not. The UN is primarily made of dictatorships, many of which are on the ‘Human Rights Council’ They cannot represent people of whom are unrepresented in their own countries. And I do have the right to declare it illegitimate. Where does it say I don’t have the right?

I’ll even exercise my right again.

The UN is an illegitimate piece of shit.

This is how illegitimate they are. That their actions, remarks and believes are no less meaningless than my above declaration. Taiwan still exists. Their ruling against China in the SCS has not changed anything meaningful and has not been enforced and so much more.

Good work Marco. You can say it as many times as you like - it’s still meaningless. :man_facepalming:

Will leave the conversation there as it’s seeming quite futile, like previous conversations of this type with you. It’s honestly difficult to take any of your points here seriously.

As meaningless as the ruling against China in the South China Sea? :grin:

That’s the funny thing! My remarks carry as much meaning as the UN itself!

I’m sorry. I’ve given my evidence. If your argument is ‘I won’t take you seriously because I don’t agree with you’ then I can’t help you. You haven’t refuted my point that the UN is nothing more than a club membership because that’s all it is. Club membership. You have yet to refute it with evidence.

If taking me seriously only happens when one agrees with me, then I can’t help them. I made my points, gave evidence.

Well yes, but the UN has important sub-organizations like ISO that are very useful because people in general don’t know what is happening in the whole wide world.

I mean, even if we want to ignore the UN, do any of you currently foresee a set of conditions or state of affairs where ROC and PRC would meet and agree on something that benefits Taiwan’s independence?

Yes. When we successfully defend the country. The tides are slowly turning in our favour. It won’t be easy, but the trend is increasingly favourable to us.

I didn’t see your edits before, but this is ridiculous, again. Do you actually realize what you’re writing?

You haven’t provided any evidence at all, unless you have a seriously different definition of “evidence” to the one used in the English language. I didn’t say anything along the lines of not taking you seriously because I don’t agree with you, so please don’t try to misrepresent things.

Nor have I said anything about the UN being, or not being, a “club membership” - you’re trying to change the goalposts again. It’s not my job here to provide you with evidence to refute whatever assertion you misrepresent as fact (especially one I haven’t even expressed an opinion on). I responded to what you wrote about the UN being “illegitimate”, that’s it.

Seriously man, get a grip… (and please look up what “evidence” means in a dictionary - a clue: it’s not just an assertion you made. We’re discussing arbitrary definitions of agreed fictions, not something anybody is going to be able to provide you with evidence of, even if they wanted to, so I literally have no idea what you’re expecting here. Christ.)

How did we go from, ”hey, Amazon is being a giant turd!” to this back and forth bashing tournament about the UN?

Nonetheless, I’m happy to report my package is here in TAIWAN and not…

:metal:

6 Likes

I can’t say I ever had strong feelings about the UN in any direction until COVID. There’s audio of Trump telling someone in Feb 2020 that this virus is bad, much worse than the flu. I think at that point they also assumed it was aerosolized. So everyone in the UN knew. What did they do? Quite literally WHINE about Taiwan being racist and demand an apology (still don’t have any evidence of that or what they said that was racist), tell people not to wear masks, and get angry at countries for closing boarders. They came to the defense of China at every moment and now there is NO CHANCE of figuring out what actually happened with the virus origin, because China keeps playing the “you’re being racist” card and the UN is like “yeah! Stop being so racist!” any and every time someone asks a legitimate question directed at China. We don’t even need to get into what the UN hasn’t done about Xinjiang and the Holocaust 2.0 level of genocide taking place there.

As for Amazon, you have your choice between Amazon and Alibabba for the worst things to happen to the global economy’s future. Jeff Bezos has the tiniest you-know-what and compensates by building a rocket to try to be the first billionaire in space. Thank god he lost that race. He is the wealthiest man on Earth because he can’t bother giving his employees any leeway or freedom to go pee, let alone any PTO to speak of, all the while taking over the world with his idea of commerce. I’m glad Amazon hasn’t taken hold in Taiwan because it means I have time to think about what I actually need in my life before making a purchase, rather than expecting to be able to hit “order now” and have a package arrive at my doorstep two hours later. Does lots of stuff cost much more to buy in TW than off Amazon? Sure. Is it morally the right thing to consider where your dollars are being spent? Yes. I sound like my grandmother, but she’s right. You vote with your dollars. Support for Amazon means support for ridiculous labor practices and unfairly low wages so the man on top can become even richer while workers get yelled at by a machine for not working hard enough and can’t afford food and rent.
The fact that Amazon thinks TW is China is just one more reason to avoid the devil corporation all together.

3 Likes

Taiwan is the Republic of China and the Republic of China is Taiwan. This is the official line from the government

Its really not turning that way. China is getting stronger and stronger and Taiwan is less defensible. The ROC army is a mess compared with 20 years ago. Taiwan independence has never been further away

Yep, let’s all roll over and accept that there’s nothing to do! We’re doomed anyway, we might as well not spend two minutes writing a nasty email to a company telling them they’re full of it for supporting the CCP or leaving a one-star review for shipping an item to “Taiwan, China”. It’s too much work. We should just accept reality.

I mean write your letters.

But the President always keeps to the script of “Republic of China Taiwan”. The ROC is a usual vehicle for keeping us safe and avoiding war, which is the only thing that really matters.

The ROC is doing great for medals in the Olympics. It’s like number 4, whoop!

Apparently it’s Russia though :laughing:

5 Likes

If he does not think so, he probably won’t be able to perform such important act as sending a huge dick to the space.
Then the life is meaningless, it’s a tough choice…

Got a fedex package stuck in Guangzhu. Can only hope it is a temporary hub issue and not a case of mistaken country.

I always viewed the motherland as Western Taiwan.

I apologise. I should be more clear.

My assertion is that the UN is illegitimate and my reasons/evidence is that it is a club membership, headed by 5 countries that act only in their self interest instead of the greater good.

1 Like

Oh god. Please don’t bring reddit’s shit here.