Amazon thinks Taiwan is China

All the high school kids I know call it that, and most of them don’t even know what Reddit is.

Wasnt someone on the forums just asking why Musk is going to mars and Bezos cant? I think this might just be the reason why…

In what nations English norms for titles is ROC preferable to RCT in this example?

Ps. Fuck the CKMT and all their communist treason.

Ain’t my motherland!

Guy

Which, I’m sure Beijing will eventually claim, has ALWAYS been “part of China.” :upside_down_face:

Guy

I dont understand your question.

Republic of China Taiwan
Republic of China in Taiwan

Are clever compromises

Your perception of the world is very different from mine.

That’s cause I live in the real world. :grin:

Both examples would still be written RCT :slight_smile:

But yes, i agree Tsai has been fairly good at being careful while asserting some dignity for Taiwan.

Heh… That brings back memories.

Last year, I noticed a mutual fund company I have money with, reported their Taiwan holdings as from, Taiwan, Province of China. I couldn’t believe it. I was stunned (really).

I tried contacting the company several times, but was getting nowhere. Finally I emailed the founder/owner. Virtually immediately he apologized for the lack of response (in part everybody was working remotely, so that may have contributed to the lack of follow-up), he cc’d several folks, and he expected an answer ASAP.

That very same day I was informed that the printing of their quarterly reports was outsourced and the error would be fixed with the next report… and it was!

4 Likes

Things dont change unless everyday people stand up.

Well done.

3 Likes

Thanks!

You know at one point I was about to give-up but a comment similar to yours, on a completely different forum, encouraged me to keep pursuing it.

3 Likes

Why not say yuan or 元?

(Question, not a challenge)

It just seems like they decided their currency in other languages was gonna be the dollar.

And they use the dollar symbol.

1 Like

A joke’s being made there, I know, but I think it’s important to realize that the PRC’s claim that Taiwan is a part of China is, a reasonable one that can’t be dismissed as simple aggression. Reasonable arguments also exist for claiming Taiwan’s independence. You can argue about which set of arguments should outweigh the other, but it’d be mistaken to dismiss the PRC’s claims as simple aggression and obviously unreasonable.

In stating that the PRC’s position is reasonable, I am of course leaving out any consideration of the reasonableness of unifying a region with an established democracy and freedom of expression with an authoritarian regime that’s likely to erode that democracy and freedom of expression in the event of reunification.

As for the problem of postal addresses etc, I don’t think companies can be expected to depart from the position of their own governments and major international associations. Packages could be sent to somewhere like “Taiwan area, acknowledged but not recognized as a province of the P.R.C, currently administered by the R.O.C which is not recognized as a sovereign state nor its authorities as forming a national government.” But that’s a bit long to fit on the envelope. Abbreviating this to simply Taiwan is clearly inappropriate, but Taiwan, China misses out on some of the subtleties of the regions international status.

3 Likes

Hmmm! The PRC has never ruled one inch of Taiwan, not for one minute. The Treaty of San Franciso, in which Japan formally gave up sovereignty of Taiwan and Penghu, says nothing about China gaining sovereignty.

The true “leftovers” of the KMT-CCP conflict are Kinmen and Matsu. Both should be given the option of a referendum if needed to decide their futures. For Taiwan proper and Penghu, though, the CCP and their annexationist ideology can f&ck right off. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

4 Likes

It’s reasonable in the same way that holding a gun to a woman’s head to force her to marry you is reasonable.

China does not have Taiwan’s consent. They don’t even have their own population’s consent.

Hmmm. No. It works pretty well. My mail comes on time when I do that.

3 Likes

Correct. In addition, I’m not sure about other countries, but in the period before it established diplomatic relations with the PRC the US never formally ROC sovereignty over Formosa. This in itself, however, doesn’t invalidate the PRC’s claim. Nor, in itself, does the fact that Taiwan has never been under the administrative control of the PRC. From the end of the world war two thru the eighties the statement the position on both sides of the strait was that Taiwan was a part of China. This is now the position acknowledged by a majority of countries, and has been done so for more than 40 years.

The right of people in Taiwan to self-determination is certainly a strong argument in favor of Taiwanese independence but it isn’t necessary the only factor to be taken into consideration. As for the point about the PRC not being a democracy and therefore not having its people’s consent, all I can say is that democracy isn’t a prerequisite for a government to be recognized internationally as the representative of a sovereign state.

1 Like

I am not sure I can fully follow your post, but in diplomatic speak “acknowledge” and “take note of” (this was Canada’s phrase I think) do not mean “agree with.”

Example: I acknowledge you have claimed that the PRC’s position is reasonable. But this doesn’t mean I agree with it.

Cheers,
Guy