American English teacher dies after scooter accident

So all these stereotype about Taiwanese blaming foreigner during road accident apparently true.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3408445

When Chen was questioned by police, she said that she had not run the red light, and said that David accidentally ran into her.

And this is why I don’t drive in this country. Psychopathic Taiwanese drivers everywhere. I’m starting to wonder if it’s a genetic condition that leads to this over abundance of poor driving displays. I don’t know the stats but it genuinely seems like there’s a crash a day in every city.

At 61 years old she probably needs a new eye test done before allowing her to drive. Dunno if that’s done here though. Too late damage is done.

Rest in peace to the poor man.

1 Like

Read the full article. Surveillance footage proved she ran the red light and thus was her fault. The mans son kindly forgave her. I certainly wouldn’t if it was my loved one dead from negligence

Cody considers it an accident, and did not want anyone to be held legally liable, or even be imprisoned. Certain that this was his wish Cody asked that charges against Chen be removed and in response, police said that he showed great love and magnanimity.

It is indeed “magnanimous” that Cody didn’t want the other driver charged. In most other countries it wouldn’t be up to Cody though. A broken law is a broken law, and especially one that ends in a death demands accountability. Can’t believe this woman is going home scot-free after being caught on surveillance. This would be an involuntary manslaughter charge in the states.

8 Likes

By the way someone has died so show some class. Now isn’t the time for you to be smug and display anti foreigner sentiments. But yeah if you could read you’d see it was the Taiwanese at fault here…

Who is doing that?

2 Likes

no idea either, pointing to me perhaps? or the lady who killed that man.

@realstick mind to explain us?

3 Likes

You edited the post. Or should I say corrected it. The earlier language prior to editing implied that it was foreigners who were the bad drivers and not the Taiwanese. Now it’s clearer what you were trying to say as you’ve fixed it

Who edited their post? I didn’t. Do you mean hums?

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: lol nope, I didn’t. that’s the original post, without any edit.

I too was confused when I read it so I read it twice, because it did sound like you were saying that the stereotype was about foreigners riding scooters instead of Taiwanese blaming foreigners.

That’s just brutal. I hope the poor guy was teaching English at that age because he enjoyed it, not out of necessity. If I were his son, I’d have that woman prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Letting her off like that sends the wrong message.

4 Likes

mind to help me to correct the sentence? non native speaker here.

but I’ll defend my ground about editing it as accused by @realstick.

Well, it’s probably my fault for reading it too fast.

1 Like

He was not wearing a helmet. Could have saved his life.

The article doesn’t say she won’t be prosecuted. It kind of implies it, but it is not clear.

“After David’s death, police sent the case to the Prosecutor’s Office on charges of negligent homicide.”

“Cody considers it an accident, and did not want anyone to be held legally liable, or even be imprisoned. Certain that this was his wish Cody asked that charges against Chen be removed and in response, police said that he showed great love and magnanimity.”

So the police admired the son’s compassion and forgivenesd, but it is not onown if the prosecuter will or will not move forwarded.

Sge should be prosecuted. She broke the law and took a life.

1 Like

He could be alive if he’d not broken the law by not wearing a helmet.
Going after the old lady, will not help the son with his loss.

No, but it will send the message that there are consequences for running a red light and causing a fatal accident.

6 Likes

His scooter crashed into hers!
Subject verb Object. The way I see it, there is a great chance that there will not be such a harsh punishment and the message will be, it’s ok to run a red light.

Your post makes no sense.

2 Likes

I usually like your posts, but this is Victim Blaming 101. She ran a red light! That’s a much greater crime.

It’s also a hypothetical to say he would’ve lived if he had worn a helmet. Maybe, and maybe not.

It is NOT a hypothetical to say the poor bugger would be alive if she hadn’t of run a red light and plowed into him.

2 Likes