American English teacher dies after scooter accident

Why? If you don’t wear a helmet and you crash into some other scooter who made a mistake, and you were fast enough to get yourself killed, there will not be a harsh punishment.
My wife’s nephew had a similar accident and he paid the other party even though it wasn’t his fault. An old lady appearing in front of him.
There is no use going after an old lady or grandpa for that matter unless you are still alive and need compensation.

It’s only a crime if you can prove severe negligence. For example, if she ran all the previous red lights on her way. If she made a single mistake(human error) than it’s negligence. For this we all should be able to compensate. One way of doing so is to wear a helmet. This has nothing to do with victim blaming. It will be half and half in court.
If she had hit him, it would be another story.
I only say, there is no use of going through this kind of stress for his family.
But I know, Americans want revenge.

You must be joking.
She ran a red. She is at fault. Period.

5 Likes

I am not joking.
It’s her fault, there is no question about that, and she has to live with that fact.
That should be punishment enough if she did not run the red light on purpose.
She might had overlooked the traffic light without being aware. Then this is not severe negligence. She did not hit him. He hit her.

He hit her BECAUSE she ran a red. It has zero to do with him hitting her. Your logic does not compute.

4 Likes

Maybe you should go to court sometimes and hear the lawyers arguing.
In America it might be all black and white, in most other countries there are more shades of gray.
Negligence, severe negligees, can you enter an intersection that is not cleared? Did you take enough precaution? etc etc.
If you think, there will be any good thing coming out of it for the victims family by going after the other party and causing their family some harm, OK. That’s your opinion.
I think it’s a great gesture the son displays and we should honer that.

Okay, guys. According to Hamlet, criminal negligence is no longer a prosecutable offense. I mean, she didn’t MEAN to kill him, so what’s the prob? /s. So just as she made a conscious decision to run that red light, does that mean we should excuse drunk drivers who accidentally kill others? By your logic, living with the deaths (albeit as a free man or woman) is “punishment enough.” :roll_eyes:

Please, just stop.

4 Likes

I did not say that at all!
It’s prosecutable, but there are different degrees and there will be the question what the victim could have done to promote a better outcome.
Sorry, but I think that’s the way it plays out in Taiwan courts.

What the bleep are you going on about? Promote a better outcome? He was a VICTIM!

So a guy has a gun and accidentally shoots his friend. What you are saying is, gee how could the victim have prevented being shot? What a bunch of nonsense.

And no, it would not and does not play out like that in Taiwanese courts. She made the choice to run a red, she broke the law which is in place to keep people alive. There are consequences for breaking laws. Without the consequence, there is no point in having laws. She should be charged with running a red light and involuntary manslaughter.

2 Likes

That’s easy to say for you, Helmetintaiwan.

Now, seriously, so bad that he wasn’t wearing it and above anything else, that the stupid woman killed him.

4 Likes

If she made that choice, then yes you are right.
So, you want to imply that an old lady makes a conscious decision to run a red light, the same way some young farts would do. You also think that she should be punished the same way like someone who just runs the red light to save time fast and without looking.
Doesn’t work that way. This is not America.
Also, the son got to know the family and decided to let it go.
Don’t you think that he came to the conclusion that she made a mistake not on purpose?
And why can’t you respect his decision?

I wonder how Hamlet would feel if this was his relative who got killed by the dumb, red light ignoring woman. Would he blame his relative for not wearing a helmet and be “magnanimous”?

I wish I had this greatness, hopefully I will never have to find out.

Being old does not always bring some sort of magical wisdom. Old people are just as impatient, intemperate and whatever as they were when they were young people, in many cases. Old people run red lights on purpose too. That’s how young people learn that it’s okay to do it.

Prosecuting the driver isn’t revenge. Dragging the driver to the sidewalk and beating her to death on the spot is revenge. Prosecuting her for breaking the law is justice.

8 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what is this obsession with America?

2 Likes

I don’t know him, but I’d feel sadness and rage because of both things: the stupid woman running a red light, and my relative being so stupid and not wearing a helmet.

But yeah, unless the woman actually didn’t see the red, I’d be mad as fuck with her.

He meant Yankees.

1 Like

Not paying enough attention to the traffic light while you are driving is not a savior negligence in Taiwan?

That’s what I meant too. :sunglasses:

Same goes for not wearing a helmet or not watching out if the coast is clear.
Like I said before, he ran into her. The lawyer will argue, if you like it or not.