American English teacher dies after scooter accident

First of all, she is not that old.
Second, if you are running reds on accident because of age, then you should not be driving. Third, running a red is running a red, period. Doesnt matter why. You dont do it. There is no excuse.

Yes, because that is exactly what she did.

You are making a wide assumption here. It was not stated he got to know them. It stated he forgave them, which is his right to do. But he is not the law nor the judicial system. It did state that the woman and her husband still blame the victim and are not remorseful.

2 Likes

Not paying enough attentionā€¦ or being super tiredā€¦ or just jumping a red because meioguanxi la.

So donā€™t use Americans!

1 Like

Thatā€™s not the hill you want to die onā€¦trust me.

Yeah, much better to die on a scooter.

So, not paying attention to the traffic light then ignoring the red light and not wearing a helmet + not watching enough because the light is green are the same degree of negligence?

You have a green, you go, halfway into the intersection someone runs a red and blazes right in your immediate path,no time to react, just a split second and then impact.

Its not his fault he ran into her. Its her fault for putting herself in his direct path on a red friggen light. What dont you get about this? He is in no way at fault for anything except not wearing a helmet.

Im glad the son was able to forgive. But that does not give you a get out of jail free card. It does not make you immune to the law. The law does not forgive, nor should it. It is there to keep order and safety.

4 Likes

I am pretty sure they will determine different degrees of negligence in court.
To have gotten confused and overlooked, will not be the same as to have been in a hurry and overlooked or simply ignored it all on purpose.
Also, if someone runs a red light doesnā€™t mean you can now run into them blaming everything on them, not that I am saying he did that.

The whole point of a green traffic light is you DONā€™T have to watch if the coast is clear. Itā€™s not a Stop sign. Itā€™s a green light. That means ā€œgo.ā€

2 Likes

Actually, yes it does.

How on Earth can any of that be PROVEN in a court of law? You cant prove what a person was ā€œthinkingā€.

He had ZERO fault.
She has 100% responsibility for what she did, which is running a light and causing the death of another through her actions, no matter her reason for running the red.

It is that cut and dry,.

Actually, yes it does mean that.

1 Like

28 posts were split to a new topic: Red light

David Clark, aka Shakespeare Dave, was a wonderful guy. He staged plays in Taichung and at Spring Scream and it was my honor to be a part of that alongside him back in the 90s. His love was Shakespeare, thus the moniker, and in his heyday heā€™d shared the stage with Christopher Walken on one of The Bardā€™s plays. He also loved the modern - Sam Beckett, Ed Albee, Sam Shepard, etc.

Why was he teaching in Tainan? He loved Taiwan and the Philippines and had settled down here. I agree with his son that Dave probably wouldnā€™t want to press charges - anyway Dave wasnā€™t wearing a helmet. He should have been but thatā€™s not the way he rolled.

Lifeā€™s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more

Dave was a real loner but found his voice on the stage. He touched many thru his performances and teaching. Just wish Iā€™d spent more time with him in recent yearsā€¦

14 Likes

Drivers should pay enough attention while they are driving. If the driver was driving under the condition that she could overlook a traffic light and ignored the red light, isnā€™t it a double fault by her?

1 Like

Nice tribute. Reminds us this was a real person, and not just a name and a face in a news article. Thank you. Sorry for your loss.

6 Likes

Thanks, appreciate the kind words

1 Like

Mistakeā€¦ define mistakeā€¦ and also letā€™s take a look at the video. Is there a video BTW?

Calling involuntary manslaughter a ā€œmistakeā€ is like calling rape a ā€œbad date.ā€

2 Likes

well, i think we all agree that the lady was at fault, only Hamletintaiwan argued the victim also sharing some part of the blame. OK, just leave the decision to the judge. what I want to highlight here, is the blaming culture of Taiwanese, though it could be a stereotype, in this case it was true.

Agreed.
They are still blaming the deceased victim.