American fights and dies in Ukraine; do you think USA people would fight as a volunteer in Taiwan

Saw this news, wonder if some people in USA would do the same if Taiwan had a war with China. Hope Taiwanese can also flight as strong as Ukrainians do, or as it seems as the Baltics people would (There is USA army in Baltics via NATO). As I chat with people in Estonia and Lithuania they would fight.

[Russia-Ukraine war: Combat death puts spotlight on Americans fighting in Ukraine - NZ Herald](

I’m sure loads would.

2 Likes

I’m sure there would be a handful who are already here, but not nearly as many as Ukraine, and I think that’s mainly because china would blockade Taiwan, it would be hard to get people into Taiwan. Most of the people on the island would get out. You’d probably be left with a few willing to fight. Now how many would actually be combat ready? you don’t just pickup a riffle and run it like in a video game. You’d be a hindrance to the professional military if you haven’t got any training. I’m sure there would be other ways to help such as people with first aid experience.

1 Like

You know such a ‘blockade’ would require going through Japanese and Philippine waters, right?

It’s doubtful they’d successfully create a blockade and be sitting ducks around a country armed to the teeth with missiles.

China’s armed forces are capable of blockading Taiwan, a senior U.S. Navy official said, pointing to the size of the country’s navy, which is the world’s largest and growing at a rapid pace.

2 Likes

That is one man’s opinion about a party military that has zero transparency.

Many also said the Russians could take Kyiv easily.

I am very doubtful they can get to the east side of Taiwan because there are literal chokepoints.

I don’t know who to believe, Vice Adm. Karl Thomas or Marco.

5 Likes

It’s just my opinion as well. Such comments are unnecessary.

We can speak civilly.

I think the tone on a forum is hard to gauge, but I was bantering. chill. :grin:

7 Likes

This has to be the rudest ‘banter’ I’ve ever received then.

2 Likes

I’m just saying, china could do this easily, and the foreigner volunteers coming in would be very sparse either way.

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying, but I don’t think Japan and the Philippines would be so kind to let the PLA through their waters that easily.

Japan less so than the Philippines.

I believe there is a point to the first island chain theory. If the PLA could so easily blockade Taiwan, why is this even a thing?

Given the geography of Okinawa, this leaves PLA ships vulnerable from attack from the US, Japan and Taiwan.

1 Like

I sure hope you’re right. I also think China never invades and if it ever gets critically close there will be a deal made between the gov of taiwan and china.

1 Like

Maybe I’m right, maybe I’m wrong. I don’t know. We also don’t know if the US and Japan will get involved, although heavily implying it…and to what extent.

Taiwan is also a country that has a domestic missile production programme and has control over all sides. Do the PLA really want to just sit there around the island like sitting ducks? We are a country of abundance and every year we stock more and more missiles. Does Japan want PLA ships right off their own coast? It’s very possible that Japan might make a waterway into Taiwan from Okinawa to Yilan. I’m not going to say it’s gonna be an easy time, but I doubt anyone that implies Japan is just going to roll over.

China has shown time and time again that a deal with them is worthless if there are no enforcement mechanisms as well as checks and balances.

2 Likes

This channel is from an American volunteer, professional military. Some POV Gopro videos from actual combat missions.

And yet people keep trying to make deals expecting another result.

Even with checks and balances, a deal with china over taiwan is all lose for Taiwan. Cant see it ever being honest and guaranteed. By the time the world gets it, taiwan would already be chinese and it’s too late.

Right, but that’s the thing, there is no enforcement mechanism. How do you enforce these deals? They signed a deal on HK intending to renege because there were no consequeneces for reneging.

Yes. For many of these types of articles us civilians are not typically the audience - could be misinformation propaganda for our adversaries to underestimate us.

That’s an insight I have from reading the news - “who is the real audience”

Japan would likely be at war, too. Tw gives China the ability to choke both Japan & S.Korea. This is how the world order changes…

Oh, as for staying and helping…remember in the beginning in Ukraine, foreign men were having issues leaving. Ukraine wanted them to stay and help. Why would TW be any different. A man doing manual labor means that another is free to fight.

2 Likes

No way. Taiwanese with American citizenship, sure, a few but more will be on a plane to America. If America takes actual military action, then of course US forces will. But expats? Some might hold a gun if someone gives them one, but hardly any will go into combat. I’ll be very surprised if a large number of citizens are willing to fight outside of the military and conscripts. Even if some from abroad want to, Taiwan isn’t a country you can walk into like Ukraine, and the first thing China will do is a naval blockade. Likely that’s the main thing.

1 Like