American fights and dies in Ukraine; do you think USA people would fight as a volunteer in Taiwan

No, not possible. As much as people praise TW democracy, etc., etc., this isn’t about TW. The implications of PLA on the island to the security of all its neighbors cannot be underestimated.

Maybe think about how long they would be able to maintain a blockade once it is established. And buy food and water accordingly. If US, Japanese, and Philippines made an effort to break the blockade, do you really think it can hold indefinitely?

Yes, we call them Americans. Plus, loads of people who are just waiting for anything like this.

There are lots of reasons I don’t think it’s likely to happen, but that wasn’t the question.

1 Like

You saw the military drills after Pelosi visited. That was blockade practice. They don’t need boats in the water. That’s old school.

Responding with missiles means retaliation from a country with bigger teeth.

I understand food and energy are imported, good thing the Chinese would not likely be able to maintain a blockade

A handful of them and a smaller group of expats. There will be enough for sad and/or heroic news stories, but unless you know a secret brigade of engineers and English teachers training somewhere, I think you’re either too optimistic or have a loose definition of “loads”.

I’m overweight and opinionated

Do you know how much of Taiwan’s energy resources are imported? It’s loads. And we have water issues, and we have trouble getting food from one end to the other. War is about more than hardware. I don’t think Taiwanese would stand for a long term conflict like the Ukrainians have. If it came to a full-scale invasion, unless the US came in against China fast and with full force, Taiwan would fold.

Yup, exactly. It would be pretty dumb to make a deal with China going forward.

Even if there are consequences, the CCP simply does not care because they know the world still wants to use their cheap labor and will give in first.

Just based on food alone, sure. if a blockade were successful. but Idoubt even china would start sinking container ships from around the globe, that would be unwise. hence their belt n road type strategies. they are probably hoping to be able to strangle enemies at the ports of other countries. but that also seems a bit far fetched.

Keyboard warrior corps for you. Write that propaganda … slay 'em with your dark, dank memes.

There’s a role for everyone, even the the least active of forumosians have a part to play.

1 Like

You don’t need to sink anything. Container ships are owned by businesses. The threat is enough. Pop a missile above one and it will turn around. The big test is what a US battleship would do, if they come.

TBF, I dont think they planned to renege. The was an ideological change in the party when Xi came to power.

I’m not saying you should trust Beijing though.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I brought it up :man_shrugging:

You’re taking a very Taiwan-based, expat-centric view. I think there are a lot of Taiwanese Americans and a lot of adventurous, freedom-loving, anti-communist types with military experience.

Of course, it’s the only view I have, and it’s based on what I’ve seen from people over the years.
I think we’ve shifted the topic. The original question was:

The article being about someone who left he US and went to Ukraine, and you said:

I think it’s clear that Taiwan is in a very different situation and Americans of any sort are not going to be swimming here. So I think you’re original response about “loads” of Americans coming here to fight isn’t going to happen.

But now you’re talking about Taiwanese-Americans currently living in Taiwan which includes people who have never known any home but Taiwan. They are Americans, but it’s not the same as people in the USA leaving home and coming here.
But since we are speaking of Taiwanese-Americans in the country, I’m not confident most won’t take the first US evacuation out of here if Taiwan allows them to. If a large enough percentage gets conscripted, that might equal “loads”.
But those, like me, who are Taiwan-based expats with our Taiwan-based expat centric views, whether optimistic or pessimistic, are going to leave, stay and hunker down, or be told to go to whichever place we call home if they try to fight.

This is a country of business and comfort. Ukraine was a country in poverty terrified to be dragged back into the past. Plus the general public was already on war-footing for 8 years. I don’t think many here are going to fight like Ukrainians, not single-citizens, dual-citizens, or expats. Maybe the White Terror is still strong enough in living memory for people to want to fight oppression, but I don’t think people of fighting age will be willing to fight. Some, but not enough. I don’t get the sense from locals they have any chance of winning. Not unless America comes to the rescue fast.

OK, as I said I think loads of people would, if the opportunity were present. YMMV. Whether the opportunity will be present is another question. I doubt it will be too. If the opportunity is not present, there’s no point in asking the question :2cents:

But it won’t likely be the view of Americans who would potentially volunteer.

Your first comment didn’t say anything about the opportunity to travel from the US to Taiwan in a time of war or blockade, though. What opportunity would that be? An invisible boat?

No, it’s not the view of those hypothetical people, but the thread title is “do you think” and not “what is it possible that some people might think, potentially”.

Here, maybe this will prove me wrong:

If he inspires 3 million people to start training, I’ll change my mind.

The question just doesn’t make sense to me if there’s not an opportunity, so I assumed that the opportunity was there. If it makes you happy, if there’s no way for people to get to Taiwan and engage in an ongoing conflict, then no, I don’t think loads of people will do so :slight_smile:

What does what I think matter? I won’t be volunteering :slight_smile: I’m speaking about the mindset of people who could potentially volunteer. I don’t think it would likely comport with the kind of mindset you referred to.

Not much, but you were the very first to answer the question.

I’m sure there’s lots of Americans sitting in office chairs saying, “If I had the opportunity, I’d fight in Ukraine” with a definition of opportunity that keeps them at a safe distance.