American...ish restaurants in Taipei

I’ve had enough McDonald’s and Subway, because I had plenty of those back in the States.

I’m looking for new places to try… like, Fat Daddy’s American Fried Chicken, and Napilo’s Italian Fried Chicken.

I’m looking for the Taiwanese spin on other cultures’ food.

Any unique places I should try?

Buffalo hamburger joint on Hangzhou S. near Roosevelt, across from Dominos

1 Like

Try Pizza Hut Taiwan. Their menu is nothing like Pizza Hut back home.

3 Likes

Pah!

That’s only the second-worst national cuisine in the world.

I’m looking for a Taiwanese spin on Scottish Food,

Like Deep Fried Mars Bars, Deep Fried ("Clutch Plate) " Pizza, Greggs Macaroni Pie (before they went all trendy.) Haggis suppers (with broon sauce)

Any unique places I should try?

Apart from taking chopsticks to Dunfermline, obviously.

1 Like

Interestingly we once had a Scottish chap here who opened a Scottish chipper. Sent staff over to Glasgow to train in a real chipper. Deep fried Mars bars, the works.

Business failed miserably. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

We had a customer, but he died.

2 Likes

Fatty liver or heart attack?

Stroke

2 Likes

Travesty really. Feckin’ Ireland’s Potato is making a killing.

Avenue Fast Casual Eatery.

You’ll thank me later. : D

Guy

3 Likes

They have grilled tomatoes in their breakfast, not very American.

Certainly not typically Taiwanese. There is no "Casual"eating here.

Just MAYBE casual sex, but NEVER casual eating.

I guess you could try Bogart’s Smokehouse in Nangang, if you’re into American BBQ?

I didn’t find it to be my thing, personally, but it seems pretty popular. (I’d probably go from time to time if I didn’t live so far from Nangang, but I didn’t find it to be worth a dedicated trip out there.)

American BBQ (Texas, Carolina, KC), Gumbo/Jambalaya, Green chile, tex-mex, lobster, crab cakes. - try a little more before you stereotype.

1 Like

Suit yourself.

Guy

It was pretty American though, no? Down to the American fellow running it? Did you find it American-ish?

3 Likes

I can’t assess its Americanitude given my limited experience of that, but I found it a bit bland, overrated, and disappointing to be honest. Some of that was probably my expectations - I guess I’d built it up too much as I’d been intending to go there for ages before finally doing so when I happened to be in Nangang (I went twice in total, in the same week - I wasn’t bowled over by the first visit but thought I’d give it another chance). The owner seemed very friendly.

I found the pulled meat sandwiches alright but not amazing (compared to, say, Salt Lick in Hualien). The homemade sauces at each table were good (especially the variety - it was nice to have several options to try). The mac and cheese was…probably one of the least remarkable eating experiences I remember having in recent history. I presume that’s how mac and cheese is supposed to be (this was my first time) but, like…what’s the point? It’s all just one gooey, boring lack of flavor - I have no idea how that’s a dish that’s popular enough with Americans to have made it into my brain through TV shows and stuff.

Anyway, I think they could do with some “normal” side dishes like fries or wedges or something (that would probably have been enough to make me enjoy the meal, actually). And again, the place does seem to get good reviews, so I might just be the exception.

I thought it was good, but I get your review. You Canadian? Anyway, not sure you got the point of the OP? Or maybe you did.

No, I’m from the UK. Yes, I got the point about “American-ish” and the “Taiwanese spin”, but just thought I’d mention the place anyway.

1 Like

Cheers.