American...ish restaurants in Taipei

Always avoided it like the plague based on UK experience, but you are saying in Taiwan they are worth trying?

Anyone tried Buttermilk at Amba Hotel, in between Zhongshan and Shuanglian MRT. Always looks quite busy and happening.

Yes, it’s pretty good. Worth a try I’d say.

The OP asked about unique food, Taiwanese spins on other cuisines. Didn’t say anything about good.

1 Like

Only if you are looking for a crappy version of the real thing.

11 posts were split to a new topic: Mexican…ish restaurants in Taipei

You should look more into Thai, Vietnamese, Korean and Japanese food if you ask me, your doctor or an epicure. Anyway this might be something for you

Baba Kevin’s American Barbecue Co., Ltd. (Minsheng)
No. 6號, Lane 115, Section 2, Minsheng East Road, Zhongshan District, Taipei City, Taiwan 10491
+886 2 2511 7427

3 Likes

I think we’re straying far from the original intent by the OP, but the trick at Bogart’s is to skip everything and go straight to the ribs. Get a good mixture of sides with the expectation that half won’t be your thing, then dig into the ribs. For two people, get a full slab and add on a half slab to that. It won’t be cheap, but you will be very satisfied. Ribs or don’t go. It’s like sex. No sex is better than bad sex. Okay, let’s get back on topic!

1 Like

It’s still not that great.

I laugh at the posts on Facebook of the ‘amazing authentic American bbq’ that foreigners rave about here. :money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

What is the gruel they serve with the charred meat ?

My grannies Sunday roast would look and taste better than any of that.

The Aborigines do roast pig way better here. .Foreigners have no clue. :grin:

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Aboriginal Restaurants in Greater Taipei

Then don’t live in the city . Actually you can’t eat BBQ too often, super unhealthy and it’s just BBQ. Best BBQ is your own BBQ with your friends and family.
Whoops I think I’ve overstayed my welcome in this thread.:grin:

The topic of the thread does specify “in Taipei.”

If you want to start a thread on “why BBQ is better outside of Taipei” go ahead! :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

Maybe I’m missing the point of the OP, but isn’t it a request more for weird (“unique”) food than for good food? Places that claim to be American, but have too much of a Taiwanese twist to be really called that.

A bit like this short thread from a while back, although that one had a more international focus:

2 Likes

I noticed there’s a few nice brunch style places have opened up with better salads and slightly healthier food in Taipei shopping malls. Can’t recall any of their names though.

78 posts were split to a new topic: Let’s Talk About Food

Tomatoes with breakfast is unheard of in America, though pretty standard in the UK.

Bea’s Bistro behind NTNU has good American-ish food, even though their breakfast also has grilled tomato.

I’m looking for both :smile: but I’m particularly looking for food that Westerners would never think to make. Food that appeals to locals more than foreigners.

Like… I remember a pasta place that poured a sweet sauce over their spaghetti. At first, I thought it was strange, but it was amazing when I started eating.

I often find that “authentic” restaurants are very unwilling to explore and create a unique cusine that doesn’t exist anywhere in the world.

Perhaps Taipei is becoming too globalized… but I miss the days when Macho Taco put red beans in their tortillas. Not sure if places like these exist anymore.

2 Likes

Macho Taco sucks, OP has now lost all credibility.

1 Like

It does now. But it used to be more sweet than savory. They should have gone all the way and made outright desert burritos. But instead, they tried to make it more similar to “real” Mexican food, but failed miserably.

Fully agree. Unfortunately a friend is one of the co-owners