American...ish restaurants in Taipei

I noticed there’s a few nice brunch style places have opened up with better salads and slightly healthier food in Taipei shopping malls. Can’t recall any of their names though.

78 posts were split to a new topic: Let’s Talk About Food

Tomatoes with breakfast is unheard of in America, though pretty standard in the UK.

Bea’s Bistro behind NTNU has good American-ish food, even though their breakfast also has grilled tomato.

I’m looking for both :smile: but I’m particularly looking for food that Westerners would never think to make. Food that appeals to locals more than foreigners.

Like… I remember a pasta place that poured a sweet sauce over their spaghetti. At first, I thought it was strange, but it was amazing when I started eating.

I often find that “authentic” restaurants are very unwilling to explore and create a unique cusine that doesn’t exist anywhere in the world.

Perhaps Taipei is becoming too globalized… but I miss the days when Macho Taco put red beans in their tortillas. Not sure if places like these exist anymore.

2 Likes

Macho Taco sucks, OP has now lost all credibility.

1 Like

It does now. But it used to be more sweet than savory. They should have gone all the way and made outright desert burritos. But instead, they tried to make it more similar to “real” Mexican food, but failed miserably.

Fully agree. Unfortunately a friend is one of the co-owners

Bogarts is very American, Good Southern BBQ and sides. Also You cant even get a sugar free Tea or drink there(when I went last yr). Very American

2 Likes

They have some weird Canuck lager though.

1 Like

Sweet tea is a southern thing. Most of the time, you have a choice of sweet or non-sweet.

Are we looking for American restaurants Taiwanese style in Taipei, or Taiwanese restaurants American style in Taipei?

Either way it’s pretty specific.

Either one, really. Restaurants like TKK are quickly becoming my favorites.

1 Like

Laya Burger I think fits the mold. Interesting how quintessential American dish(can’t say that !!!) , ended up as Taiwanese breakfast food

1 Like

This shtuff is amazing !

3 Likes

Bogart’s is fucking brilliant

1 Like

Yummy!20210111_220247

20210111_220405

3 Likes

You know… I pass a Laya burger often on the bus… but I always assumed that it was a lunch/dinner restaurant (because… it’s a burger place)

I’ll check it out!

It serves processed bullsh&t—like far too many of the breakfast chains.

Guy

1 Like

True - but I do enjoy the breakfast chains. Roughly once a week I’ll have lunch at one of those places.

4 Likes

That sounds like a euphemism.

3 Likes