American man beaten to pulp at Kaohsiung pub

Been away for a few weeks so don’t know if this got posted here. Re: the American bloke in Kaohsiung Dream pub who got beat up last month with baseball bat for dancing with his female friend, who just happened to be a local woman. More here:

APPLE DAILY: “A foreigner named Thomas was at the DREAMS pub last night, when an incident occurred around 1:50am. Thomas was grinding up against a hot-chick and subsquently irritated her male companion which resulted in the beating up of Thomas. When the police arrived, he was suffering from heavy bruises on his chest, face and arms and other parts of his body. His shirt was ripped off during the beating by the 2 to 3 people that took him outside and beat him up. Because he can’t speak Chinese well, he was cussing when the cops arrived.”

His female friend later blogged:

"…So the five of us ended up going to a local dance club, Dreams, ocated behind the Sogo and Mitusoki Department Stores in downtown Kaohsiung. I haven’t been there in about six months because I’d heard about a number of incidents involving Caucasian foreigners being beat up or hit over the head with a beer bottle for simply talking to, or dancing with a local Taiwanese woman. I felt some hesitation and asked Hardcore Party Girl if she thought the place was ok and how it would be on a Thursday night. She said she went there regularly and that it would be a good time.

I had my misgivings, but brushed them aside thinking that perhaps what I’d heard was an isolated incident. Once we arrived, we settled into a booth/table and started drinking watered down whiskey and vodka shots, and the occasional orange juice/whiskey drink. It wasn’t yet midnight; the dance floor was still completely deserted. As I’d predicted it started hopping just before 1 am. Kaohsiung Boy and I hit the dance floor a few times

About an hour later, Kaohsiung Boy and I decided that was time to get going. The American in Kimen wanted to hit the dance floor with me, so we started to “get down” on the dance floor and ended up dancing on one of the platforms. Admitedly, I know how to shake this booty and was just having some fun- the way a girl can when she’s in the hands of someone she knows and trusts. Trust me, I can shake it and grind it- but not like that with complete strangers. After dancing with the American in Kimen, I resumed dancing with Kaohsiung Boy and finally we decided to make our exit. Kaohsiung Boy went to look for Hardcore Party Girl and say goodbye.

The more I thought about the whole situation and pondered throughout the day, the more I began to suspect and question the actions and character of all the people involved.

Before going to the police station, I had spoken to the American twice about the incident, getting the details of his account clear. And I thought about how trying it must be for witnesses, defendants and plaintiffs to be grilled repeatedly over certain details. I was impressed that my American friend was able to recall what he did after having gone through the ordeal he’d been through!

I haven’t been able to reach him since coming back from the police station "

Dreams has become THE place for white people to get beat up in Kaohsiung now. I don’t think you even need to talk to or dance with a white girl for it to happen now. I have heard of quite a few beatings of white people there. I doubt many local white people would still dare go there, but dreams does advertise a bit so out of town or new foreigners may end up there…
Used to be the Pig and Whistle was the place that had this problem more, but I think they lost quite a bit of the foreign customer base so as far as I know it does not happen so much there now.

What’s weird is that this hot chick he was dancing with was not some pick up but his friend, the year long woman friend he entered the place with, and who wanted to dance with him, there was no taking of another man’s girl here, it was pure one foreigner and one ABC woman having fun on the dance floor…

Does anybody know this Thomas fellow? APPLE DAILY has pics I can post if you want to see his bloody corpse, well, almost corpse, but certainly bloody. WOnder why local papers don’t reporter on this?

oh that’s right. not interesting news.

I have just been told that Dreams was raided last Friday night. Perhaps this beating was the cause for the raid?

What’s weird is that this hot chick he was dancing with was not some pick up but his friend, the year long woman friend he entered the place with, and who wanted to dance with him, there was no taking of another man’s girl here, it was pure one foreigner and one ABC woman having fun on the dance floor…

Does anybody know this Thomas fellow? APPLE DAILY has pics I can post if you want to see his bloody corpse, well, almost corpse, but certainly bloody. WOnder why local papers don’t reporter on this?

oh that’s right. not interesting news.[/quote]

Since when does it make a damn bit of difference to idiotic thugs?

Is this today’s APPLE?

sorry for nondetails above. this incident happened March 31. that is why i wondered if it had been posted before.

writingblock.blogspot.com/

scroll down to APRIL 5 post: and further down to MARCH 31 post:

photo and details there

SHOCKER HERE:
"Just ask around and the stories will come out.
Another friend of mine, a Canadian guy was at the club talking to a Taiwanese woman when he got hit over head with a beer bottle.
Yet another guy was kissing his Taiwanese girlfriend outside of the club, not even in the actual club, when someone came up and hit him over the head with a scooter lock! The guy had to get stiches in his head.
I’ve talked to Thomas about publicizing this but he’s not sure what exactly he’s at liberty to say since charges have been pressed. Wouldn’t want anything that he said to go on record and come back and bite him in the #%@$!

It’s definitely open season on white foreigners in Dre@m$! "

5/08/2006 3:47 PM

You know this type of behavior, while repulsive, is not unique to Taiwan. I grew up on a NATO training staion and spent my early adulthood (or second childhood) there. There were British, Dutch, German, Italian and American forces there. None of them were all too popular with the locals. Even the Canadian forces weren’t very well received.

The Taiwanese guys who go to nightclubs outside of the big professionally-run outfits are generally the most insecure, immature fuckwits you would ever have the displeasure of meeting. Half of the problems seem to happen when nerdy Taiwanese ‘gangster’ kid desperately wants the girl he brought with him but doesn’t have a clue, some foreigner moves in who does and seething hormonal jealousy kicks in. (I will hang my head and admit that sometimes I’ve got a bit too merry and nearly started fights with locals like this but fortunately always had a friend who pulled me away before I got my head bashed in).

I stopped going out in Taiwan after I got sick of being tapped on the shoulder and being told ‘she doesn’t want to dance with you’ / ‘you are leaving now’ by some wannabe punk every time I danced with a girl. The Taiwanese guys who are genuinely secure in themselves don’t have to do this but sadly they’re quite a rare bread in the night scene here.

Reminds me of ‘Spin’ nightclub several years back…the ‘beat up whitey’ scam. Local wannabee thugs would pick out a single foreign guy or 2 and send a cute girl over to talk to them. Then, outnumbered, the white guys were confronted by local thugs for speaking to sombodys girlfriend and beaten. Saw this a couple of times, and know a few that fell victim to it. However, I watched a lone Russian/Slavic (I think) guy clean up a bunch of thugs that tried this on him, he hurt them pretty well too! I doubt they will do it again in a hurry.
Had a similar experience in Taoyuan, but luckily I walked out better off than the other fellows.
At the end of the day, they are insecure shmucks that do this and I have little sympathy for them. Wankers!

[quote=“naguoning”]Dreams has become THE place for white people to get beat up in Kaohsiung now. I don’t think you even need to talk to or dance with a white girl for it to happen now. I have heard of quite a few beatings of white people there. I doubt many local white people would still dare go there, but dreams does advertise a bit so out of town or new foreigners may end up there…
Used to be the Pig and Whistle was the place that had this problem more, but I think they lost quite a bit of the foreign customer base so as far as I know it does not happen so much there now.[/quote]I live in K town but I haven’t been there. If it really is that bad, maybe the thread title should be changed to accomodate a warning especially since it was also mentioned that they advertise quite a bit.

bobepine

[quote=“Highway Star”]Reminds me of ‘Spin’ nightclub several years back…the ‘beat up whitey’ scam. Local wannabee thugs would pick out a single foreign guy or 2 and send a cute girl over to talk to them. Then, outnumbered, the white guys were confronted by local thugs for speaking to sombodys girlfriend and beaten. Saw this a couple of times, and know a few that fell victim to it. However, I watched a lone Russian/Slavic (I think) guy clean up a bunch of thugs that tried this on him, he hurt them pretty well too! I doubt they will do it again in a hurry.
Had a similar experience in Taoyuan, but luckily I walked out better off than the other fellows.
At the end of the day, they are insecure shmucks that do this and I have little sympathy for them. Wankers![/quote]

Silly rabbit, don’t F**K with Russians. The guy was probably in Taiwan learning MMA or something. Even if he wasn’t, I wouldn’t cross a Russian.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I sometimes wonder if we shouldn’t use this forum to organise the occasional show of force. Say, a Forumosan cricket team happy hour at said disco replete with all the accoutrements, wickets, bats, balls, etc.

HG[/quote]

My Russian friend suddenly has an interest in taking up cricket… I think perhaps he’d make a natural batsman

Funny that you all mention cricket in this context. One time a few years ago quite a few members of our Kaohsiung cricket team had gone to the pig and whistle. We were only downstairs to watch the world cup cricket. Most had gone home early, but a few of us stayed on to watch the end of the game. As we were walking out we saw about 6 Taiwanese guys attack one huge white guy outside on the street. Using bottles, bike helmets etc, coming up from behind. Not sure what had started that one but I would be not suprised if it was just for him being white.
Seems that Dreams is now capital of the South Taiwan let’s beat the white guy thugs. I can only assume that these acts are being perpetrated by the same people again and again. It would be really interesting to get a BIG group of foriegners together as per Huang Guang Chen’s suggestion. Complete with the people who have been attacked before so they can point out the perpertraters, pads, helmets, bats, stumps etc. All walk in together at the same time so the thugs don’t have time to get all their mates to gradually turn up (the biggest weapon of Taiwan thugs who never fight one on one is probably their dageda…).

As pleasing as is the thought, you’d also have to ask yourself if you’re quite ready to follow it up to the almost inevitable gun toting level, or do time in a Tawanese prison over a bunch of fuckwits.

The vomit idea’s a good one. You could say it was a gut reaction to ultraviolence and apologise profusely in Taiwanese as you drench 'em all…

HG.

[quote=“naguoning”](the biggest weapon of Taiwan thugs who never fight one on one is probably their dageda…).[/quote]Electronic countermeasures are available…

Here’s a little twist on the foreigner beating saga…

A while back three drunk fresh off the boat foreigners (won’t mention which country) wanted to beat me up outside of a local club. To my surpirse some local “thugs” including a few betel nut chewing hardcore looking lads (complete with tatoos etc) came outside the club and stood behind me. Everytime the aforemetnioned drunkards said anything the local boys would taunt them and laugh at them. Considering themselves to be in a bit of a pickle the wisely opted to leave.

Perhaps it’s not the “thugs” you know, but the “thugs” who know you…

Hmm, am I going to be the only person in this thread on the thugs side? Good for them I say. I’ve been at bars where some white guy is grabing at waitresses and patrons alike…and I personally try to get the locals angry by pointing out his behavoir to them…and tell them to give him a beating.

You know how many times I’ve been in a bar and the drunkest, patheticist, hard up, grooping loser…is a white guy? Actually it’s rare I ever see the locals loose control and get that drunk.

Instead of trying to solve a way to stop from being attacked in these trashy wannabe gangster hangouts…why don’t some of you just stop going to…TRASHY GANGSTER WANNABE HANGOUTS. I’ve been to quite a few dance clubs here…and in some of them 95% of the patrons are on drugs…you think these are “good” people? Back home you get plenty of “nice” people who go to bars…but in Taiwan…it’s a lot more black and white.

I like to dance…so I go to these places a couple of times a year…to dance. And I stay well clear of the local…whores…that frequent those places. If I wanted to hang out with some drug addicited, smoking, alcoholic…loose morals girl…I’d phone my mom :astonished: .

Bad things happen in bad places.

And maybe the “Kaoshiung Guy” didn’t deserve his particular beating…but I wouldn’t kiss my own girlfriend in public…for fear of making someone feel uncomfortable, let alone grind with a local :loco: . Taiwanese guys loose their girlfriends to foreigners regularly…and you have to expect for some of them to be uncomfortable with it. So if I’m out with my girlfriend…there are no public displays of affection…she could be a student for all people know.

Just the other day I saw a white guy with a local in my park…he was hanging off of her…and being very affectionate. And in a park with roughly 150 people in it…they were the only two behaving like that…and it even made me feel uncomfortable.

Bully for you, you’re pandering to local xenophobia! :unamused:

I suppose if you were in the Sudan you’d do her clittoral circumcision with your teeth to show how tuned in you are?

Read the OP again, they were doing nothing wrong.

HG

I love dancing. I used to be a paid Host/Dancer at an upscale dance club back in Winnipeg called “The Bank”. I even was mentioned in the newspapers a couple of times…and got my pic in one of them.
At the time I was the only non-stripping paid club dancer in the city…it was pretty cool.

But other than to dance to…I don’t listen to music. And nowadays…I only go dancing once or twice a year. :idunno:

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]

Read the OP again, they were doing nothing wrong.

HG[/quote]

Even if the “chick” was his own girlfriend…and not someone else’s :unamused: , he’d still be pushing his luck.

<edit: It’s almost 11 so I’m going to bed now…go easy on me since I won’t be able to defend myself…being asleep :wink: >