American man beaten to pulp at Kaohsiung pub

Mordeth I think your attitude is one of an idiot. Not just a bit of an idiot but a quantum, intergalactic, indescribeable mega idot. And I think that understates the lack of intelligence in the thinking that provides your attitude.
You are presumably a foreigner in Taiwan but you pander to the super appologists for Taiwan. The fact is that in South Taiwan you don’t need to be doing anything wrong. You don’t need to be hitting on a woman. You don’t even need to be arround a woman. We are not exactly talking about the sleaziest, dumbest foreigner in Carnegies on a Wednesday, OK! You just need to be white or black to be a target of racist thugs. I am aware of guys who have been attacked when alone and not talking to anyone or only with other guys.
As to choice of bar might we remind you that it was clearly stated this guy was living in JinMen (Kinmen). Perhaps he might not have been super clued up as to the dangers of GaoXiong/Kaohsiung clubs. Or perhaps you think that was another of his foreigner mistakes. As I pointed out Dreams does advertise quite a lot. Hence why people might have picked out the place from magazines etc if they did not know the city well.

Even if the “chick” was his own girlfriend…and not someone else’s :unamused: , he’d still be pushing his luck.[/quote]Mordeth, you quoted the Apple Daily story, not the first-person account.
Here’s what the “chick” had to say:

Read this before you quote unreliable sources:

Victmizing Foreigners: Apple Daily Makes Up Another Story

Even if the “chick” was his own girlfriend…and not someone else’s :unamused: , he’d still be pushing his luck.[/quote]Mordeth, you quoted the Apple Daily story, not the first-person account.
Here’s what the “chick” had to say:

Read this before you quote unreliable sources:

Victmizing Foreigners: Apple Daily Makes Up Another Story[/quote]

Well, I’m just commenting on the OP. And in the girls version of the story…no one gets hurt. She dances with the guy…then leaves. So who knows what happend after?

A guy I knew got beatten up (not badly) at a bar back in Canada. He went to the police and the police said…“Don’t go to bars.” . How many foreigners you hear of getting beaten up while hiking at 7am or swimming in the mountains or go-karting or at the beach or in a park or…etc.

Back home the bars are a very valid choice of social activity, but here in Taiwan they’re just a place for criminals (and off duty cops) to hang out. I LOVED going to the clubs back home…guys, girls,…everyone was friendly. I’d be waiting in line for a drink and the person next to you would just start making small talk…for no reason…just to be friendly. In Taiwan they are far too “cool” to talk to some stranger :unamused: .

Bad things happen in bad places. And I’m not saying “Dreams” is a bad place…I’m saying 99% of the clubs in Taiwan are bad places…so unless you are personal friends with the owner (and if you are…that isn’t saying much for your character) then I wouldn’t be surprised when something bad happens.

Oh and I got an idea…if you are white, try going to a primarily black dance club in the states…and try grinding with some black girl there…and see what happens. If you are a visible minority…don’t grind with someone from the majority. The majority’s attitude is not right…but it’s the way it is. And it’s predictable.

Ok, I just read your links. And it seems he really did only dance with his friend (according to the more believable info). But if his friend is asian…and if they were dancing in a provocative manner… :idunno:

When I first moved here 8 years ago I had the common sense to never allow this kind of situation to arise. I know that some local men dislike us even talking to their women. So keeping that in mind I’m sure as hell not going to “dirty dance” with one in front of them. Especially since it’s rare to see a local dance that way with another local.

I do feel bad for the guy though.

And I felt this comment was interesting in regards to Apple Daily making up stories about foreigners being sex pigs:

[quote]
Yeah, we foreigners all get lumped together sometimes for objectifying Taiwanese women.

therealtaiwan.com/?page_id=87
therealtaiwan.com/?page_id=107

Not sure how that happens!

-Brad[/quote]

[quote=“Mordeth”]Ok, I just read your links. And it seems he really did only dance with his friend (according to the more believable info). But if his friend is Asian…and if they were dancing in a provocative manner… :idunno:

When I first moved here 8 years ago I had the common sense to never allow this kind of situation to arise. I know that some local men dislike us even talking to their women. So keeping that in mind I’m sure as hell not going to “dirty dance” with one in front of them. Especially since it’s rare to see a local dance that way with another local.

I do feel bad for the guy though.

And I felt this comment was interesting in regards to Apple Daily making up stories about foreigners being sex pigs:

[quote]
Yeah, we foreigners all get lumped together sometimes for objectifying Taiwanese women.

therealtaiwan.com/?page_id=87
therealtaiwan.com/?page_id=107

Not sure how that happens!

-Brad[/quote][/quote]

So the next time you get beat due to road rage we’ll just chalk it up to your poor driving skills.

[quote=“Elegua”]

So the next time you get beat due to road rage we’ll just chalk it up to your poor driving skills. [/quote]

Don’t really see the conection you’re hinting at…but if I do get a road rage beating…then yeah, it will probably be my own fault. Just yesterday I gave a guy the finger and he did a U-turn and tried to chase me down. I can imagine it happening to me. And when it does…I won’t be on here whining about it. I’ll probably mention it for your own curiousity…but I won’t be raving about the injustices of the island.

First of all, I don’t know what moral universe you come from, but being an a$$ doesn’t justify a beating. There is no excusing it in any ’ civil ’ society, perdiod. (That said, there seem few ’ civil ’ societies. :unamused: )

But the link is that you deserved that beating because you flipped someone the bird? Yeah, it was stupid and rude. But does it justify a beating? By your logic - I can’t dance in public with my wife and if I do and get beaten, then I deserved it because I was inciting the locals. I shouldn’t have been doing that. That my friend is a slippery slope…next it will be because I was walking in the wrong neiborhood…shouldn’t have been there…sound familiar yet?

[quote=“Elegua”]First of all, I don’t know what moral universe you come from, but being an a$$ doesn’t justify a beating. There is no excusing it in any ’ civil ’ society, perdiod. (That said, there seem few ’ civil ’ societies. :unamused: )

But the link is that you deserved that beating because you flipped someone the bird? Yeah, it was stupid and rude. But does it justify a beating? By your logic - I can’t dance in public with my wife and if I do and get beaten, then I deserved it because I was inciting the locals. I shouldn’t have been doing that. That my friend is a slippery slope…next it will be because I was walking in the wrong neiborhood…shouldn’t have been there…sound familiar yet?[/quote]

Good post.

I hear you…but I never used the word “deserved”. If I flip someone the bird…and get a beating…that’s hardly “eye for eye”. But I’m not going to put the blame 100% on them either…after all, it was I who instigated the whole situation.

That’s all. He definetly didn’t “deserve” what happend to him…but I’m a realist…and as a realist I’m aware of how people behave…whether it’s right or wrong is a bit of a moot point.

What utter, utter nonsense you do spout sometimes. :unamused:

What utter, utter nonsense you do spout sometimes. :unamused:[/quote]

I taught many adult buisness classes. Where I travel to their buisness and teach them there. The majority of my students have never even been to a bar. They associate them with low life trash. But I’m guessing these “thugs” you refer to are actually graduate students…just letting off some steam?

I’ve been to these places…don’t try and sugar coat them. I’ve been in dance clubs here where they are doing lines off the tables in plain sight. These places are evil…best word to describe them.

That appears to be blindingly obvious. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I haven’t. Except maybe for once or twice, and I’ve been in many, many bars here over the last 20 years, both as an employee and a patron.

The bars I frequent are not thug hangouts, and as far as choice of bars go, I’m spoiled for choice. You need to be a bit more selective as to your choice of watering hole Mordeth.

I’d just like to point out that the topic of this discussion “Kaohsiung man beaten to pulp at pub” has been misnamed. It should read “American man beaten to pulp at dance club in Kaohsiung”.

That appears to be blindingly obvious. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I haven’t. Except maybe for once or twice, and I’ve been in many, many bars here over the last 20 years, both as an employee and a patron.

The bars I frequent are not thug hangouts, and as far as choice of bars go, I’m spoiled for choice. You need to be a bit more selective as to your choice of watering hole Mordeth.[/quote]

Sandman,
I have to agree, slightly, with Mordeth as I too have seen people openly doing lines in night clubs here. Outside of Taipei the choice of clubs is much more limited, Taichung for example, only has clubs that range from seedy to downright filth. Bobo was shut down recently for openly selling pills over the counter. Unreal! Whilst there are decent bars around, it is very easy to stumble into a nightclub from hell. Decent places like Carnegies are few and far between outside of the 'pei.

Right it is you are, soon-to-be-ex-Tom Hill. I tend to forget there’s actual life down there in the boonies. :laughing:

What…you got something against Lion King or Pig Pen?

I just don’t understand the lines stuff…I mean you spend all night drinking and in 30 sec you have to start all over again. :idunno:

[quote=“Elegua”]What…you got something against Lion King or Pig Pen?

I just don’t understand the lines stuff…I mean you spend all night drinking and in 30 sec you have to start all over again. :idunno:[/quote]

I’m not too familiar with the bars down south…maybe some are ok. We actually had a place in Chung-Li called Music Walker that was pretty “clean” and had a healthy atmosphere…it went out of buisness though :frowning: .

“Doing lines…” refers to inhaling lines of drugs up one’s nose…usually in reference to coccaine…but in Taiwan it seems like “Special K” is the nose drug of choice.

[quote=“Mordeth”]
“Doing lines…” refers to inhaling lines of drugs up one’s nose…usually in reference to coccaine…[/quote]

Oh, OK, thanks for clearing that up…I thought they were all practicing their parts for the Community Theater production of The Music Man…which, while kind of annoying, isn’t, you know, that hard to deal with in the pub…

“Coccaine”?
Is that, like Italian cocaine???

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Elegua”]What…you got something against Lion King or Pig Pen?

I just don’t understand the lines stuff…I mean you spend all night drinking and in 30 sec you have to start all over again. :idunno:[/quote]

I’m not too familiar with the bars down south…maybe some are ok. We actually had a place in Chung-Li (Zhongli) called Music Walker that was pretty “clean” and had a healthy atmosphere…it went out of buisness though :frowning: .

“Doing lines…” refers to inhaling lines of drugs up one’s nose…usually in reference to coccaine…but in Taiwan it seems like “Special K” is the nose drug of choice.[/quote]

I don’t think you read my message carefully…did you…

Once the bolivian soldiers get thier marching powder they just don’t stop :moped: , and they undo all the hard work you’ve been doing up to that point at getting :homer: - so I don’t get the attraction - it seems very :wanker: or even :wall: to me.

After thinking about this, I wish I’d beaten him up myself. . People need to do more thinking about the kind of impression they ae creating of foreigners in Taiwan by their behavior. Grinding in public is unacceptable here.

I don’t care that the girl is ABC and his good friend/girlfriend. They should have given some thought to what they looked like to others. I hope she accepts some of the blame for what she helped cause to happen to him. She’s a foreigner too, she needs to accept responsibility for the impressions of foreigners she helps create, even if she has the luxury of hiding behind an asian face.

I fear you didn’t think about it long enough, cos beating’s far too good for such unaccaeptable heretic behaviour. They should have been dragged outside and stoned to death, but only AFTER she was gang-raped and humiliated for the slut she obviously is. Oh sorry, I’m conforming to the norms of an altogether different country. Carry on with your bottling.

I’m not quite with you on this one . . umm, so she looks like chinky but her perverted foreigner actions give the game away?

Let the punishment fit the crime, let’s bukkake that evil temptress to death? Cover that chinky face in the snot of the vile depraved westerner. :unamused:

HG