American new to Taipei, without ARC, having banking issues

I’m also curious to know. Are you ok? Are you in need of help?

I have not resolved this issue, living off $3-400 usa a month . I need to jump back on here…

Right now im not thinking clearly my life is unstable, so forgive broken thoughts. I will reply to the chastisers independently …

Here is what i was thinking , if i wire transfered my money wouldn’t the same issues of taxes running and money washing still be there?
I dont know why that is a now the focus.
I posted to here to get a bank account and cash usa cashiers check or checks .Mud ringing is optional in chats

OP, in case you’re unaware, Guam is part of the USA. Guam is IN America. There are American banks in Guam. American banks will accept and cash cashier’s checks.
Yes, you’re best to declare it when you bring it into TW. You still get your money, it’s just the government will be aware of you bringing in this money. Go to Guam.

Look, I’m going to give you some tough love.

By the sounds of things, you can’t have spent more than 15 minutes searching on the Internet to find out about using cashiers checks. You relied on general advice written by somebody who was most likely not an expert (anybody can have a website and put things up on the Internet) that was general in nature and not applicable to your situation.
You should have asked somebody from a financial institution. Even a travel agency would have given you better advice.

It also sounds like you looked at using a particular solution to solve a problem, rather than looking at the problem and trying to find the best solution.

Now that you’re in this situation, you have to get out of it. You are going to need a US bank account to do this.
You have to go to Guam and open a US bank account. Get a US phone number while you’re there so that you can get a 100% online account too. You don’t need to live in Guam and you don’t need to plan on returning to the US to have a US bank account or US phone number. Assuming you had them, it was foolish to close your accounts and get rid of your phone number before you were settled in a new country.

Use the bank account to cash the cheque and transfer the money to Taiwan, and then close it if you wish.
If you want to make a success of your new life in your new country, you need to learn how to think things through, plan ahead and organise things in advance. These are crucially important life skills that every adult should possess.

Good luck with everything, I wish you all the best.

2 Likes

According to the Taipei Customs website:

4. Negotiable securities (incl. bearer traveler’s checks, promissory notes, drafts, and securities)

Passengers or crew members must declare negotiable securities with face value in excess of USD10,000 or its equivalent . There is no limit on the amount of negotiable securities that can be carried into Taiwan.

Cashier’s checks would qualify.

Someone mentioned opening an online bank account. I don't think it will work, as the daily limits on mobile deposits are quite low, but it might work with the $30,000 check.
@Rzarobbie : Your 90-day Visa exemption would have expired by now. I hope you have found a solution to cash your money...

BTW, you might not have to pay capital gain tax on the first $250,000-$500,000 you made from selling your house, if you meet the requirements described here.

Quandary, yes i went on a visa run to hk never left the airport… spending 6000 nt Set me homeless after getting back, then got 500 usa (from a friend)to save my ass…

Yes i dont think i will need pay capital gains i lived home for 18 years

I did manage to get my smaller check cashed in usa last week… a lucky situation where my friend helped me , the small check had no documentation so thats why i was very lucky , my large check is home sale so i have a a letter stating that sale. Helps to cash it i hope

11173 , I researched banking and cashing cashiers checks for many hours unfortunately… maybe you try and all information leads to opening a bank and cashing a check in tw is ok… but i didnt see information posted about FACTA and i didnt realize tw banks are so affraid of Americans .
Strange for tw being #1 in the world for ex pats…

And yes 11173 i clearly wasnt thinking strongly about banks and checks i had my child taken to a foreign country and held for over 4 year with no communication, i had to sell a very involved 10 year old small business of retail and service and selling a house of 18 years niether of these to things did i ever think i would leave, but a 3 and half here old child gets taked away life changes … it took two years to sell things and move, stress , anxiety ,high blood pressure ,sleep apnea i all most died trying to make the move … so no i wasnt focusing on banking and checks i admitted it was a bad move…

Chexsystems …
I knew word i learned

Wasnt clear before i apologize , i had my us bank closed, but not by me, it was closed from overdraft fees… this will probably stop me from opening a bank in usa…i can clear it by paying off or negotiating the debits .

Guam guam guam… im not going to guam.

Hk is still my best option for my large check… for now i can breath , i will go to hk for my next visa run and visit banks

Good, well let us know how you get on in HK.

A Hk bank ( citibank) says yes they can cash my cashiers check after 6 months, but i need to deposit millions into the account to open it. Without the check used as a deposit i cant do that, so if your super rich things are easier in HK.

In TW i just found out ( not sure why i didnt stumble on to this already) that there are credit unions… is there an hope from a credit union in TW. Any body know if there are different governing rules as apposed to the tight banks here. I know in usa there are many differences

Thanks!
One day its will be nice to have a check cashed

Why did you choose Taiwan? Maybe this is obvious, but do you have family here? Open a US bank account, then transfer your money to a relative’s account here who you can trust.

eight months and still not cashed a huge cashiers check or whatever?
the loss of bank interest alone not faze you?

Yes my young son was “taken and held in tw”
My ex wife is taiwanese and has been living in asylum taking my money thru child support and not sharing thru our parenting plan hense my big move to tw
Im not going back to the US of A especially hearing how they have caused banking issues for there expats all over the world.

I have a chance to have a family member cash my check that i sign over to them and then have it wired to me

Interest not bothering me, i lost 80,000 to move to here…

Is that what i should do offer to donate my interest for a set time to the person that can help me get it cashed without going back to the US of A ?

Yes. This. Open the account with NT$100 or NT$1000 first. Then deposit the check another day.

Megabank can handle things like that. I did deposit a cashier’s check a few years ago into a US dollar account held at Megabank.

Didn’t cost much to cash but the money was delayed depositing to the account, but I went to one of the main branches where staff actually know what they are doing. It was GBP but it took over 5 weeks to clear. They will ask where the money is from, so you’d probably need to state its purpose or source.

But then again, I did have an ARC at the time. … so YMMV.

Taishin bank can open a bank account without ARC.

Taiwan is not #1 for this.

1 Like