Americans' attitude toward life in Asia: hicksville

Here in Austin, TX I called into a radio show I enjoy to contribute to an on-air debate about some selected school districts adopting (horrors!) a school uniform policy.

I mentioned that my wife and I are expecting a kid, and there’s a good chance that we may return to her country (Taiwan) at some point so that he/she could benefit from TW’s school system. I also voiced my opinion that generally, Asian schools do a better job of educating kids than American ones, esp. regarding math and sciences. And, BTW, Taiwan kids wear school uniforms.

From the radio hosts’ reaction, I might as well have called in and started spouting off about my belief in an international Zionist conspiracy or something. This reaction included:
[ol][li]If Asian education is so great, why are all Asians so desperate to come to America?
[/li]
[li]Why would you (i.e., me) want to give up all the opportunities in the US to go to a region of dirt-poor wages and poverty?
[/li]
[li]Wouldn’t it be better for you to find an American private school that offers the kind of education you want for your kid?[/li][/ol]
My own offhand response, which I didn’t have time to elaborate on the air:
[ol][li]This reflects an ugly attitude that’s developing toward immigration in general here, and a patronizing attitude toward Asians in particular. And it’s ignorant: most Taiwanese I know have told me to forget about working in the US, mainland China is the place to be. But try telling that to these yokels.
[/li]
[li]If I were in Asia now I could be getting rich, instead of living the life of Dilbert.
[/li]
[li]I don’t much care for a society in which I have to pay a premium and join the ranks of an elite for what I consider to be a minimal standard of education.[/li][/ol]
Try telling people here what a blast living in Asia was for me, and their eyes glaze over. Try telling them why I think it might be better to go back to TW for various reasons, and they look at me like I’ve got a disease. And try telling them my belief that China and other Asian countries already have the US economy by the balls in the near term, and are poised to overtake America in the long term due to a stronger work ethic and educational system, and they back away like I’m a member of the Taliban.

It’s not just reverse culture shock; I’ve been back for three years, and I’ve actually adjusted pretty well. But I’m starting to despise this provincial attitude I see around me all the time, among educated people no less.

Just venting, but if you have thoughts or similar experiences pls feel free to share.

[quote=“Sam Vimes”]If Asian education is so great, why are all Asians so desperate to come to America?

Why would you (i.e., me) want to give up all the opportunities in the US to go to a region of dirt-poor wages and poverty?[/quote]

One of the funniest things I’ve ever seen was in a Lao refugee camp on the Thai border. About 300,000 residents, most of whom had spent at least 5 years there. In a grand gesture, the US offered 200 families the full red carpet ride, citizenship, social security cards, language support, whatever it took to get them on their feet in the US. On the appointed day a fleet of buses formed a line in the camp and squads of officials and UNHCR workers got ready to fend off the inevitable crush of destitute third-world peasants that were sure to attempt to swamp them.

Four families showed up for boarding. :laughing: Then, when one by one their battered old pots and pans were taken away from them, one family changed it’s mind and got off the bus. :laughing:

You can imagine how the French aid workers were laughing. :laughing:

New Zealand is very much the same. The attitude bothers me. Makes me concerned about adjusting to “home” again. Six and a half years here… where’s “home” again?

Am I turning Taiwanese? Sometimes “their” way makes more sense than “my” way. (Did I just post that? :loco: )

I just got from Southern Oregon and experienced the same kind of crap. I was telling my mom’s friend about how cheap it is to see the doctor here with the National Health Insurance and all, and she asked, “Is that because it is Communist?”

I also got sick of people asking me “what life in China is like.” F------g idiots.

Hell, I had an anti-Robert Mugabe shirt on and was told by friends not to wear it, because “it makes fun of black people”. When I explained it was a shirt protesting one of the world’s worst (if not worst) dictators, they had no idea who he was, or what Zimbabwe was.

Good to see I’m not alone.
Does anyone else have relatives who were never able to figure out whether you spent so many years living in Taiwan or Thailand?

[quote=“Sam Vimes”]Good to see I’m not alone.
Does anyone else have relatives who were never able to figure out whether you spent so many years living in Taiwan or Thailand?[/quote]

When I go back to upstate NY and note all the girthy women I say, “Because in Taiwan there’s a one woman, one ass rule.”

Does anyone else have relatives who were never able to figure out whether you spent so many years living in Taiwan or Thailand?[/quote]

My stepmom keeps refering in ALL our conversations and letters that she’s so proud how I’ve done so well in…CHINA. :noway: :unamused: Mind you I talk to this woman about 2 a month and tell her about the things I see and do in TAIWAN. :unamused: :unamused:

As for Americans and their views on everything outside the borders of California and New York, who can blame them. I know you read the papers Sam, how much news is international? On the TV? America, is very focused on its self and to hell with everyone else, newswise, unless it’s another gory story about the Middle East Rock throwing contest btw the Palestines and the retailiting Isrealites. Or The Homicidal (?) Bombers who are always connected to the Al Qeada. Or that province that got washed out in that Commie country called China…You get my drift. God forbid that someone would want to think that the American dream could mean having something other than a mountain full of debt and an expanding waistline.

You go Sam and educate you kid in Taiwan, so when he returns to the US, he can run another ERON, and not have to fudge the books, because he actually knows how to add 2+2…

Maybe it’s just the groups I move in - mostly returnee exchange students and the like - and just being the age I am, but I didn’t find that at all when I was back home. Maybe it’s a generational thing. Maybe it’s a Hamilton thing - everyone already knows what a shithole that place is and no-one’s surprised when it scares you out of the country, I guess :laughing:

or be able to spell ENRON properly :smiling_imp:

or be able to spell ENRON properly :smiling_imp:[/quote]

See that’s American education at it’s finest. And I went to private schools to boot :laughing: :laughing:

You should post pictures of yourself in tube socks, cowboy boots, and plaid skirts and upload it onto Forumosa Friends. You might find a local that can teach you how to spell properly :wink:

I get crap at the custom/immigration counter every year when I go home. They ask me where I’ve been and I reply Taiwan. Then they proceed by asking is that a city or province in China. Idiots!

You should post pictures of yourself in tube socks, cowboy boots, and plaid skirts and upload it onto Forumosa Friends. You might find a local that can teach you how to spell properly :wink:[/quote]

Sorry sam for going off topic

Chewycorns-just get used to it that my quirk is that I misspell. Don’t be an ass about it, just laugh at it and with me, as I have been a good sport about it. Oh by the way , I could have said this in PM but since Chewy wants to air it, I guess, I have a right too.

No mate, all my relatives except my older sister who comes to visit havent got a clue.

Welcome Back for when you get here. Plenty of us having nice lifestyles ove here…

Of course you could tell them your going to give up your US passport and become a Taiwanese citizen…

I come form South Africa and when I return home I’ve found it to be a little different from your experiences. We mostly encourage immigration, especially in fields that we have a shortage in, which could mean anything from doctors, nurses (BIG shortage), accountants, engineers, but also artisans, skilled and semi-skilled labourers. Folks wanting to set up a business are also welcomed and aided. My parents (and friends) realise I’m in Taiwan (off the coast of China with a semi-independent status) and they are well aware of the political situtation between China and Taiwan. The only time I recieved a wierd call from my grandmother was after the Tsunami last year. She wasn’t sure what the impact was on Taiwan and was rather worried about me. Also I’ve found that South African born Taiwanese and Chinese still speak their local dialect (eg:Taiwanese) and Mandarin at home and can still write characters. There’s one SA born Taiwanese that works at the same school as me and although he was raised in SA he’s still fluent in reading and writing Mandarin.

But then again we’re still a developing country (with developed areas) so being more interested in foreign affairs and encouraging immigration still makes sense I guess. But as we get richer, maybe oneday our attitued will also get more provincial… :wink:

Don’t be too hard on the folks back home. Follow your own mind and do what is best for you and yours.

“Taiwan or Thailand” Boy does that bring back memories. Almost 30 years ago when I took my Taiwanese wife back to the States, the owner of the corner grocery store, a good friend of the family, couldn’t wait to introduce my wife to one of his other customers. Turned out the other customer was a woman from Thailand. Well, as nicely as I coud I tried to explain the difference to Mr. Robbins, but after several minutes all he had for a reply was, “Okay, so they’re different, but they still might have known each other over there.” I gave up.

OOC

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Sam Vimes”]Good to see I’m not alone.

When I go back to upstate NY and note all the girthy women I say, “Because in Taiwan there’s a one woman, one ass rule.”[/quote]

That, my friend, caused my beer to burst out my nose.

Americans confused about Taiwan/China? Give me a break! Taiwanese can’t seem to figure out what they are either. For 60 odd years the so-called government here has called itself The Republic of China. I just checked my wife’s passport and it still says The Republic of China.

This is the REAL China. :sunglasses:

Why would you want to do that?

According to what I hear, the law is being changed, so you can have both … !!!