An Inconvenient Truth - Al Gore climate change film

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”] What a remarkable man. :notworthy:
HG[/quote]

When it comes out for sale on DVD I’ll likely buy it and do an analysis of the thing in terms of time spent on the actual science and time spent looking at the details of Gores personal struggles. Half the people at forumosa could do a better job explaining the science and three quarters could do a better job at looking into possible solutions.

The purpose of the film wasn’t to encourage people to actually do anything about global warming. If it had been Gore would have spent more time pouring over the research and less riding around in limosines, flying first class and staying in fancy hotels.

Guys a hypocritical dick, much like myself and half the people on this board, only A LOT worse.

I don’t remember much of that in the film at all, and the purpose of the film was to present what he feels is the situation regarding human influence on climate change.
Sure he cold have walked instead of flying and he could have drawn his charts in the sand with a stick, but how many people would have seen his message then? :loco:

well, it just got the Oscar for best documentary. that’ll pick the profile up a bit. then more people will be aware of the probelm, which was the intention of the film, i am sure. awareness has to come before action.

and thanks for your opinion, bob. i trust you weren’t talking about those of us who count.

What difference does it make? Reduce reuse and recycle is what we need to be doing more of NOW but Al Bore doesn’t really want to bore us with any of that. He just wants to be a hero. The second coming. Fated to be the saviour of the world, all the while sipping cognac and enjoying the view of Kalamantan down there in the azure blue Celebes sea, sipping cognac and getting a hand job from the Malaysian stewardesses, it’s a lovely dream but will never become a big thing like an Oscar, hang on…

I think it might be time you actually, you know, saw the film, bob? You really don’t seem to have much of a clue about it, judging from what you’re writing here.

It’s true he never got a hand job from the Malaysian stewrdesses while sipping cognac and gazing in wonder at the azure celeb sea, but it would have been an improvement if he had. I can see it now, those cute little pig cheeks of his all squinched up in an ecstatcy face. Cut. No, but seriously, guys a dick.

Gooed grief, bob, it’s time to defrag the mind, or summfink. What’s your beef with Gore, actually?

By the way, Gore presented this flick at a forum hosted by the mob I work for. Those that met him were struck by his apparent sincerity, and these are not people easily conned or blinded by celebrity. Indeed they would have to be among the most cynical people in the world.

HG

[quote=“bob”]The purpose of the film wasn’t to encourage people to actually do anything about global warming. If it had been Gore would have spent more time pouring over the research and less riding around in limosines, flying first class and staying in fancy hotels.

Guys a hypocritical dick, much like myself and half the people on this board, only A LOT worse.[/quote]

An easy criticism to make on the face of it, but if you look closer at it, how practical would it be for Mr Gore to fly down there in economy class signing autographs, getting photographed and chatting to several dozen people on the flight? He’s probably got a fairly tight schedule and spends most of those sorts of moments catching up on emails, going over material, schedules etc etc with advisors/assistants. Maybe he’d even manage an hour or two’s sleep. I believe in real terms, flying first class, travelling in limos, and decent hotels is more about making the best use of the available time and facilities at hand. Even run-of-the-mill business travellers rely on these sorts of things to get the most out of the time in between engagements.

No amount of personal, company or government wealth is going to impact the climate change problem. The biggest positive impact is going to come by convincing Joe Bloggs that there are better choices to make collectively to solve the issue. (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle etc) I believe Mr. Gore’s objective is to get this message across to the consumers so they can start to make better environmental decisions, which will start to drive industry to provide consumers the better options they want to use.
It’s clear that the political powers of probably the biggest consumer markets (ie. the US) can’t even agree there is a problem, so I believe it is a wise approach Mr Gore has taken on this to talk to the people.

Some are convinced this global warming ‘thing’ is a load of shit, but to be honest, you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to notice changes to your environment that have occurred in our own lifetimes, let alone generations. And in the unlikely event this IS all just hype, what harm would be done by making it more acceptable to burn less of our fuel reserves and put less emissions into the air our kids are going to breathe? I guess the only people concerned with that are the people who directly benefit from the snowballing hunger to burn energy. People like prominant political families who have investments directly in providing oil based energy to the masses, or indirectly by investments in contract companies supporting a war to sieze control of oil rich nations. It’s no surprise at all that there is a political conflict of interest in the US on the climate change issue.

He is a dick. If he cared about global warming he would have spent less time talking about his own fateful life history and more time talking about the science showing that global warming is actually happening, and about possible solutions to the problem, the first of which would be to have a look, individually, at our carbon footprint and at ways to reduce it, things like communicating more over the computer rather than making endless trips, taking a taxi instead of a limosine, riding regular class rather than first, staying at less extravagent hotels. Stuff like that. If he is not willing to make any sort of sacrifice himself he shouldn’t make a movie asking any body else to do the same. The entire film was an exercise in hypocrisy.

It depends how that wealth is used. If it is used to buy SUVs, boats, long distance vacations, large homes, a thousand gadgets per household, steak diners, urban sprawl essentially it will certainly affect the climate change problem, by making it worse.

That’s plain silly. Reminds me of the days when the right used to complain about leftists wearing expensive clothes or sipping Chardonay.

HG

It depends how that wealth is used. If it is used to buy SUVs, boats, long distance vacations, large homes, a thousand gadgets per household, steak diners etc. it will certainly affect the climate change problem, by making it worse.[/quote]
well yeah if you think in collective terms sure. I was meaning, you cant just throw money at this problem to make it go away.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]That’s plain silly. Reminds me of the days when the right used to complain about leftists wearing expensive clothes or sipping Chardonay.

HG[/quote]

Interesting parrallel? I don’t think so.

Al Gore lives exactly the kind of life that “causes” global warming and then goes out and preaches about the problem all the while agrandizing himself with his own personal life history. The farts that emerge out of that fat corn fed ass of his must contribute tons to the CO2 level every year I would imagine. Most disappointing film I’ve seen in years and now the academy comes out and awards him an oscar, just goes to show how muddle headed people have become IMHO.

double - sorry

bob, Truant touched on a core reason why the film is so good, oddly enough so did you - it won an Oscar. It is selling a very important message in a very palatable fashion, so pallatable it won a damned Oscar. I think that is fantastic work, and means it will be seen by more people than would care to watch some wonderful doco made on the smell of an oily hemp cloth. Nature of the beastie, bob.

I can tell you that after it’s screening by the company I work for, they have added some very promising green aspects to the way they do business and the way they review the efficacy of other businesses. I suspect there are many more companies that are taking this shit far more seriously now also. It might not be anyway near what you or I may hope for, but it is movement in the right direction. It’s no longer freaked out furry hippies talking climate, it’s all suits and board rooms now. The reason they will act is because Gore’s overriding message is that it is a serious issue for big business, and that it is in the interests of big business to do something about it.

HG

[quote=“bob”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]That’s plain silly. Reminds me of the days when the right used to complain about leftists wearing expensive clothes or sipping Chardonay.

HG[/quote]

Interesting parrallel? I don’t think so.

Al Gore lives exactly the kind of life that “causes” global warming and then goes out and preaches about the problem all the while agrandizing himself with his own personal life history. The farts that emerge out of that fat corn fed ass of his must contribute tons to the CO2 level every year I would imagine. Most disappointing film I’ve seen in years and now the academy comes out and awards him an oscar, just goes to show how muddle headed people have become IMHO.[/quote]
Interesting. So, the fact that millions of people are awakening to the climate change issue as a direct result of his documentary just pales into insignificance because the guy is loaded? That’s pretty weak isn’t it?

I guess you are right. He should have sailed or rafted around the world to promote the documentary.

[quote=“bob”]He is a dick. If he cared about global warming he would have spent less time talking about his own fateful life history and more time talking about the science showing that global warming is actually happening, and about possible solutions to the problem, the first of which would be to have a look, individually, at our carbon footprint and at ways to reduce it, things like communicating more over the computer rather than making endless trips, taking a taxi instead of a limosine, riding regular class rather than first, staying at less extravagent hotels. Stuff like that. If he is not willing to make any sort of sacrifice himself he shouldn’t make a movie asking any body else to do the same. The entire film was an exercise in hypocrisy.[/quote]You’re being silly bob. In getting a message across you have to consider the audience. In this case the audience is everyone who isn’t a scientist, and for many of them their eyes will glaze over if too much raw science is thrown at them. A personal narrative gets the message across to those who wouldn’t otherwise get it. His methods reach more people. If they walk out of the theater and never think about it further, he’s failed. If they walk out with a desire to know more, and make a practice of informing themselves, that’s far better than merely dumping the intel on them.

And what’s the environmental impact of one more high-flyer at this point? His massive environmental footprint is an investment, or bet, that the downstream effects will be positive. No need to insist on his own radical purity at this point, is there?

What I can’t believe is that anybody is just awakening to the climate change issue now or that this film had anything to do with the awakening.

What I can’t believe is that anybody is just awakening to the climate change issue now or that this film had anything to do with the awakening.[/quote]
Well, if you believe in democracy the people in the best position to actually make a change would rather confuse the masses by casting doubt on the whole issue. As Jaboney points out above, the time has come to actually do some explaining.

I do appreciate your implication Bob that the issue has been around way before the film :wink:

It wasn’t pallatable to me. Talk about the problem while doing the things that cause it?

[quote]I can tell you that after it’s screening by the company I work for, they have added some very promising green aspects to the way they do business and the way they review the efficacy of other businesses. I suspect there are many more companies that are taking this shit far more seriously now also. It might not be anyway near what you or I may hope for, but it is movement in the right direction. It’s no longer freaked out furry hippies talking climate, it’s all suits and board rooms now. The reason they will act is because Gore’s overriding message is that it is a serious issue for big business, and that it is in the interests of big business to do something about it.
[/quote]

Or to appear to do something about it. Meanwhile Joe Blow consumer can charge along in his Dodge Dart or SUV, eating too much, crapping too much, occupying too much space with his living arrangements etc safe in the knowledge that big business is looking after things. I don’t buy it. The patterns of consumption are what shape business activity. As long as it is possible to buy cheap crap shipped half way across the country or around the world people will continue to buy it and people will continue to manufacture, ship, consume and dispose of it and this is what causes global warming. Nowhere in Al Bores bland film did I hear any mention of the real solution to global warming and a thousand other forms of environmental devastation - increased oil taxes.